No announcement yet.

What's in Your Bug-Out Bag? Contest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry, this is for Unseenone - RE the Mystery Ranch pack. Nice bag. it looks pretty big though. I love the USMC ILBE, but it is huge. Great for deployment when you need to carry your life in a pack, but too much back for a get home bag

Comment

Sac,
      I used to use ziplocs for a lot of stuff until I took a tumble in a creek, pack and all. I still use them, but there are a few things that get better dry bags after that little experience. They were well zipped, but several sill leaked slightly at the seal. It was only a 3 day trip, so it was not a disaster, but the dog food was a total bag of soup for some reason. That was also the trip I learned the hard way to keep the sternum strap and hip belt loose when crossing water.

Comment

Dang Kick,
        Just 1 can and you live there? I have a case each of whole and diced in our hidy hole. Plus some canned big jims I did a couple years ago.
        If you heard the shot you weren't the target!

Comment

I have the same bag as Un Thatch. it all comes down to what you want your bag for. That isn't a GHB for him I don't believe but more of a BO or even INCH. I keep mine in my truck because I could easily be hundreds of miles from home so it's always there. There really is no one solution, it all depends on what you're preparing for really.
          I'm drunk tonith.

Comment

Originally posted by thatch View Post
            Sorry, this is for Unseenone - RE the Mystery Ranch pack. Nice bag. it looks pretty big though. I love the USMC ILBE, but it is huge. Great for deployment when you need to carry your life in a pack, but too much back for a get home bag
            Indeed it is huge. I carry a smaller one as an EDC/GHB all the time. If I'm going more than 100 miles away the MR goes as well. The EDC stays in the truck. The contents of the truck, Bag 1 (EDC) and Bag 2 (INCH) can be combined for a full load out. The theory is weight distributed depending with an extra body (the hope is I find a younger fitter volunteer) if someone is with me. It all depends on the situation/mission at hand. The wife has an EDC similarly, loaded out with just enough to get home/medical/water/food, etc.

The MR bag can be broken down in several ways-- the top part, which has straps and can be used by itself, if you had to drop everything and take only that, that's your ammo, medical, basic survival stuff. The bottom compartment can be removed, the frame adjusted to lower the assembly. So, say you setup a camp somewhere, you can where the contents of the top pack in LBE, drop the sleeping bag compartment, and use the reduced size/weight pack for food/ammo, etc. so it will strip down fairly small, if you need something slightly bigger than the 3 day assault pack. Of course just because you have a large pack, does not mean you need to fill it. (ya right).. LOL.

Fully loaded out, it's about 65LBS. If SHTF, I would rather have something I don't need and barter it for something I need or stash it, than need it and not have it. If you have it, you have it, if you do not, your SOL...

20150227_154853-2.jpg

20150227_154928-s.jpg
            Last edited by unseenone; 12-17-2015, 09:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rockntoy View Post
              Dang Kick,
              Just 1 can and you live there? I have a case each of whole and diced in our hidy hole. Plus some canned big jims I did a couple years ago.
              Dude, that's just to get me home to my stores. My cabinet was overflowing, so I sent a friend about a dozen cans or so. Now I can get morem
              S usually asks "You're getting more?"
              Defund the Media !!

Comment

Originally posted by S-Duece View Post
                Joyce...just a thought...if it takes you an hour to repack your bag, what happens when you are on the move and need something from the very bottom of the pack?
                That's why I made it a point to find a bag with separation pockets. Easy in, easy out.

Comment

Ok I have to ask about the Tablets to make bleach because Im really wondering why you are carrying a method to make a full gallon of bleach?

Are you planning on carrying a gallon of bleach? Or dumping after using a few drops? Or decontaminating after a chemical attack? And are you carrying a separate container to mix the bleach in?

Sorry I don't get that bleach tablet thing in a bag you intend to carry
                  Owner of the quietsurvivalist.com

Comment

I don't know why but every time I've tried to post for the last few days I get a message telling me sorry but I've timed out. After only writing two sentences?? Go figure. Anyway this is a test. If it works I'll send my inventory and answer a couple question that have come up since last I posted. Here goes, I'm crossing my fingers!

Comment

• Looks good on this end Joyce.
                      Defund the Media !!

Comment

• Originally posted by PLA View Post
                        Ok I have to ask about the Tablets to make bleach because Im really wondering why you are carrying a method to make a full gallon of bleach?

Are you planning on carrying a gallon of bleach? Or dumping after using a few drops? Or decontaminating after a chemical attack? And are you carrying a separate container to mix the bleach in?

Sorry I don't get that bleach tablet thing in a bag you intend to carry
                        How do you plan to treat water? Lets say the only water you have come across is a nasty cattle tank. I'm thinking of our situation here in AZ, where to get home or to a BOL etc. you may be travelling across some pretty arid areas. In order to take what you can get, as long as there is time, Id rather dump 99% of a bleach solution mixed up in a Nalgene and just use a few drops into Camelback bladders even with using Sawyer filters inline. Maybe save some of it in a small medicine bottle etc. Given the light weight and small size, I don't see a downside to having them as a backup/double-up.

I'm thinking the process would be to use a hankie over a nalgene to filter out as much funk as you could an fill the Nalgene. Put a half tablet in there and dissolve to make a bleach solution. Do the same hankie-filter to fill up the bladders, then add the appropriate amount of the bleach solution to the bladders. Use the rest to clean out the hankie and outsides of all of the containers. Nobody wants to drink green algae filled cow-piss, but that may be all you have as an option. If nothing else, if you found a better water source down the trail a ways, you could dump the treated cow piss and use some of the solution to clean out the bladders prior to using the better source.

EDIT: I saw your post about using a vial of regular bleach. I guess my thought on the tablets or powdered hypochlorite is that it would be just be an alternate way to make enough bleach to treat the camelback bladders. Anyways, just some thoughts
                        Last edited by Cannonball; 12-23-2015, 11:08 PM.

Comment

• Regular liquid bleach has a short shelf life and loses potency when it gets past 3-6 months, depending on the age it was when you bought it. I've had that happen just with the bottle under the kitchen sink.

I like the granulated calcium hypochlorite (pool bleach.) It gets fumy, and eventually unstable leaning toward useless too, but it takes a lot longer time doing it.
                          quam minimum credula postero

Comment

• From the Clorox site in reply to a question about the shelf life of liquid bleach.

"The active ingredient in bleach, sodium hypochlorite, naturally breaks down into salt and water. The rate of breakdown increases rapidly when bleach is stored in extreme hot or freezing temperatures, or when a bottle is more than one year old. Generally, bleach stored at room temperature (~70°F) has a shelf life of one year, but after that point it should be replaced.
                            Read more at https://www.clorox.com/dr-laundry/shelf-life/#U2dRf88pQZ8EvVFz.99"

Comment

• How will I treat water? MSR miniworx- primary
                              When it gets too cold or Im not in Az I have a dropper bottle with bleach- A bag is NOT a pack and forget item, its a working part of my life. Inside the loop in Phx , YMMV, but Im out doing it. A dropper bottle gets used up before it expires

If you are planning to dump a gallon of bleach every time you need to treat water, perhaps a different idea might be in order

I get water from algae filled tanks all the time, that's why filters have hoses attached and also why I hate straw type filters. Sometimes the algae is 3-4 inches thick, a filter hose gets put in a nylon stocking and shoved to the bottom of the tank, then pump away.

Experience trumps gear, and the desert is very unforgiving
                              Owner of the quietsurvivalist.com

Comment

• This is a worthwhile consideration. If anyone was looking for one, let me know, I can help you find a better deal. they now retail for almost 400 bucks, 300 back when I picked them up. Really good system, little plastic. The Katadyn Pocket is designed to a take a beating. Add a Camelbak All Clear as well, should take you quite a ways down the road.

The MSR looks interesting.

Comment

Working...
                                X