No announcement yet.

What's in Your Bug-Out Bag? Contest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LpfPatrol, you might want to rethink your reading material. I hear that "Three Little Pigs" burns better.
    Defund the Media !!

Comment

Everything sounds great to me, BAPatriot. One suggestion, as a nurse who also has an allergy to bee stings, I strongly recommend you get a script for an EpiPen (Epinephrine 0.3 mg) from your family Doc and carry that. Benadryl just won't cut it if you're going into anaphylaxis. Super easy to use.

Comment

Funny.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by kickstand View Post
        LpfPatrol, you might want to rethink your reading material. I hear that "Three Little Pigs" burns better.
        Funny

Comment

I got a Kick of out Kicks pack.. You certainly are up there in most unique item.

Comment

I'm assuming that you're speaking of the can of chile, right?
            Defund the Media !!

Comment

It's just a mild allergy, localized swelling that's more than a normal reaction. Yellow jackets only, and it lasts about four days. I used to have one, but it expired.

Lpfpatrol, how do you like that bag? I trained with a guy who had one, he hated it. It was his first time out with it, and he said it killed his shoulder.

It was a pretty easy weekend, a three day camping excursion with 2 hour guard rotation at the gate and might shift roving patrols. We did one full day of blank training, force on force, but that was without packs.

I really like the design myself, for an auxiliary pack to do day trips foraging, etc. Just haven't had the chance to try one personally.

Comment

I dig it. Keep it under 30 lbs. And you're golden. It has a secondary strap that stabilizes it in your body, and leaves a shoulder free to get a proper shoulder mount for a long gun. It was originally a hunting pack but got repurposed to a GHB. The compartmental interior pockets are really what sold it for me though. Keeps gear organized and separated. Don't want fishing bait mixing with my food after all.

Comment

Originally posted by Joyce Hoffman-Gayley View Post
                  ...I strongly recommend you get a script for an EpiPen (Epinephrine 0.3 mg) from your family Doc and carry that. Benadryl just won't cut it if you're going into anaphylaxis. Super easy to use.
                  Joyce...just a quick point on this, I carry an EpiPen or at least have one within reasonable reach from me most everywhere I go for some obscure allergies to certain fruits and nuts I began developing and discovering a couple years ago...ANYWAY, you being a nurse, question is:

Should I need to use an EpiPen in an emergency scenario and need to continue along my happy little day of trying to get home through the muck, what after-effects/issues might I expect from using it and not getting proper medical attention? OBVIOUSLY I am probably not having a great day already since I just averted anaphylactic shock, but can I reasonably recover quick enough to continue down the road?

Comment

BOB bags for beginner preppers

Mine isn't fully complete yet but I built basic bob bags for my daughters for xmas this year. I was amazed at how little it cost me to put together a decent little bob bag. While not perfect for every situation, and not loaded with top-o-the-line expensive gear, it is perfect to start with and then I have them add to it to fit their needs. I got most all the stuff online, enough for 3 packs with extra left over and spent just over $150, then a couple knock off voodoo tactical bags for $30 each. Here was the list I started with.

bob.JPG

and here is the bags

15-7437.jpg
                    2TNA = 2nd to none Arms, Albany, Oregon
                    Where a big 2 and a big A matter...

"They that can give up liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by S-Duece View Post
                      Joyce...just a quick point on this, I carry an EpiPen or at least have one within reasonable reach from me most everywhere I go for some obscure allergies to certain fruits and nuts I began developing and discovering a couple years ago...ANYWAY, you being a nurse, question is:

Should I need to use an EpiPen in an emergency scenario and need to continue along my happy little day of trying to get home through the muck, what after-effects/issues might I expect from using it and not getting proper medical attention? OBVIOUSLY I am probably not having a great day already since I just averted anaphylactic shock, but can I reasonably recover quick enough to continue down the road?
                      All questions always welcome -I will share what I know. Ideally, after you use the EpiPen you should go to an ER and get checked out. Practically, however, say in a bug out situation or on an extended "field trip" you prolly won't have that kind of access. The point of going to the ER is that you might need a second injection (say if you were stung multiple times) or adjunct therapy, i.e. cardiac or other meds, O2 therapy or additional supportive care. If you're in reasonably good health with no major diseases, especially anything cardiac related, you should do fine after some rest time. The most common after effects of using an EpiPen might be a rapid heart rate, some shortness of breath and a generalized sensation of weakness and or gitteriness (is that a word??). Anyway, the sort of things that would make you WANT to take it easy for a bit. Imagine how you would feel after eating no food but having drunk a pot of double expresso in a very short period of time. The good thing about epinephrine is that it is a completely natural substance that you carry around in your body all the time. It will wear off rather quickly even if it does leave you with a feeling of shakiness for a couple hours. Now, here's the always popular disclaimer -check this out with your Doc before ever have to need to use the EpiPen. He or She knows your medical history and anything that might or might not complicate things for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Joyce Hoffman-Gayley View Post
                        All questions always welcome -I will share what I know. Ideally, after you use the EpiPen you should go to an ER and get checked out. Practically, however, say in a bug out situation or on an extended "field trip" you prolly won't have that kind of access. The point of going to the ER is that you might need a second injection (say if you were stung multiple times) or adjunct therapy, i.e. cardiac or other meds, O2 therapy or additional supportive care. If you're in reasonably good health with no major diseases, especially anything cardiac related, you should do fine after some rest time. The most common after effects of using an EpiPen might be a rapid heart rate, some shortness of breath and a generalized sensation of weakness and or gitteriness (is that a word??). Anyway, the sort of things that would make you WANT to take it easy for a bit. Imagine how you would feel after eating no food but having drunk a pot of double expresso in a very short period of time. The good thing about epinephrine is that it is a completely natural substance that you carry around in your body all the time. It will wear off rather quickly even if it does leave you with a feeling of shakiness for a couple hours. Now, here's the always popular disclaimer -check this out with your Doc before ever have to need to use the EpiPen. He or She knows your medical history and anything that might or might not complicate things for you.
                        That's weird. That's the exact symptoms I have with a yellow jacket, along with abnormal swelling (one or two stings in the arm and it increases in size 25% or so, to the point of being painful from the stretched skin), usually fades completely on the fourth or fifth day. The energy burst that comes with the jittery feeling usually only lasts a couple hours, but I can work like crazy and never get tired until it does. Sorry, off topic, but I couldn't help sharing.

Comment

Backup Antibiotics are a worthwhile thing, my reactions to spider bites, particularly Brown Recluse, have been more severe each time, always requiring treatment. Also, avoid nsaids. See this topic.

Comment

Kitchen-Sink.jpg
                            When the present determines the future, but the approximate present does not approximately determine the future: Edward Lorenz

Comment

You notice I haven't discussed my kit contents.

Comment

And that's why you can't buy Ephedrine without talking to the Pharmacist nowadays. Well, that and that little business about making your own meth!

Comment

Working...
                                X