No announcement yet.

What's in Your Bug-Out Bag? Contest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, you need a scrip for it, right? I don't think you can charm it out of them. My doc was cool about writing the scrip with plenty of refills, but the stuff has a shelf life, but I wouldn't hesitate to use an expired one on myself if that was my only option.

Nice to have you on board Joyce!!

Comment

First, thanks for the welcome, seems like a friendly group. Now about the ephedrine - still technically legal in the US but varying local laws control it fairly well. In most places you should be able to get it from a pharmacist with just photo ID & your signature. Just to be clear, I'm talking about the tablets NOT the emergency injectable form. There is a Fed limit (isn't there always?!) as to how often and how much you can get. Basically 3.6 gm per day up to 9 gm per month, records are kept for two years. Typical dosage 25 mg. tab. every 4-6 hrs, not to exceed 150 mg. in 24 hrs. This is for bronchial dilation commonly used for severe cold, flu or other respiratory congestion. This is one of the tricky meds. Unless you know what you're doing and I mean watching potential side effects and negative reactions due to other health problems, you should probably just stay away. Also, NOT a good choice for nursing mothers as it will pass directly into the infant. I know this is a long explanation but I would rather give too much info than not enough.
      Anyway as my Hub is always telling me, anything anyone else can say in one sentence, I'll take a paragraph or two. I agree with you on the expiration date business. Generally most meds lose potency rather than morphing into some other harmful substance. However, that's my personal choice. I'ts up to everyone else as to what they do.
      One last suggestion: get a dead tree copy of the PDR (Physicians Desk Reference) even if it's a couple years old. The information in there doesn't change that much from year to year and it can be a highly valuable source of information. Hint - check with your local library, they'll probably sell you last year's copy for a couple bucks. Nurses have been doing this for years!

Comment

Thanks, totally agree. We have a current one, it gets used. I didn't know about the tablets.. Back on Topic, it's not too late to enter the contest, or edit your current entry... Keep them coming.

Comment

Originally posted by unseenone View Post
          Thanks, totally agree. We have a current one, it gets used. I didn't know about the tablets.. Back on Topic, it's not too late to enter the contest, or edit your current entry... Keep them coming.
          I haven't entered yet. First, there isn't anything in my bags out of the ordinary, well not too far out anyway. Second, I've never won a "contest" in my life and third after all I went through to get everything packed just so, I don't want to spread everything's out just to take a pic. The last time I had it all out it took me almost a hour to repack both bags. I have an inventory that I could post but I got the impression AA wanted pics. Anyway I have a slightly different approach to this. I have one bag (large alice) that has all my gear and another (more like a sachel) that I have for all my medical nursey-type supplies.

Comment

Originally posted by Joyce Hoffman-Gayley View Post
            I haven't entered yet. First, there isn't anything in my bags out of the ordinary, well not too far out anyway. Second, I've never won a "contest" in my life and third after all I went through to get everything packed just so, I don't want to spread everything's out just to take a pic. The last time I had it all out it took me almost a hour to repack both bags. I have an inventory that I could post but I got the impression AA wanted pics. Anyway I have a slightly different approach to this. I have one bag (large alice) that has all my gear and another (more like a sachel) that I have for all my medical nursey-type supplies.
            Joyce...just a thought...if it takes you an hour to repack your bag, what happens when you are on the move and need something from the very bottom of the pack?

Comment

Joyce,
              While pics are nice, I don't think that they are required. I know that I would be very interested in seeing the inventory list of your bag.
              Defund the Media !!

Comment

It's a hassle to unpack stuff for pictures. The bag I went with has top, center access and side pouches for stuff you need to keep handy. Still, I don't really want to dump it all out unnecessarily. I used small mesh bags from REI to put small kit into, like hygiene, etc. to keep it together.
                Last edited by unseenone; 12-16-2015, 04:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by unseenone View Post
                  It's a hassle to unpack stuff for pictures. The bag I went with has top, center access and side pouches for stuff you need to keep handy. Still, I don't really want to dump it all out unnecessarily. I used small mesh bags from REI to put small kit into, like hygiene, etc. to keep it together.
                  If anyone is in the market for a new bag, check out GoRuck...made in the U.S.A., its a veteran SF owned company...I have a few of their bags, and always looking for another one. They are addicting. The desert digital bag in my original post is their GR1...26 L, opens all the way around the three sides of the ruck so the front flap comes all the way out 180 degrees...makes packing and unpacking and getting something off the bottom of the pack super easy! Plus...they all come with a lifetime warranty. Check them out now...they have a few good holiday deals going on...

Comment

Feel free to link to them, no problem. Interesting looking site/gear.. http://www.goruck.com/steals-deals/c/99

Here's one of mine... Not my EDC.
                    20140308_135817-s.jpg

Remember when picking and packing your gear... Ounces equal pounds and pounds equal pain
                    Last edited by unseenone; 12-16-2015, 09:26 PM.

Comment

There's some great stuff here. Thanks everyone for posting. I'll try and get mine up tomorrow, I'll also be shooting a video for the other site so I've got some work to do. The whole reason for this was to spur conversation and it looks like it worked. I have to agree with Un, though. Kick takes it for the spare tire he carries. I mean, I really thought you'd pack the one I sent it, hell of a lot lighter.
                      I'm drunk tonith.

Comment

Joyce - quart and gallon ziplock bags have been my pack/camping organizers for years. They're flexible, H2O proof (most of the time), and a person can "smoosh" when packing/unpacking in a hurry too. Naw, they're not tacticool... but they're cheap, we already have them (use the freezer weight), and it's not a problem to stow a couple spares right in the bag.

Comment

This was a great exercise. Seeing what others pack and reexamining my gear and how it is packed made me reconsider a few things including my pack and how it is organized. I will almost certainly be breaking out the Alice pack and replacing the current molle pack. I will also be going further to create separate modules for gear like I have with fire, light, hygiene and first aid.

Pack - Molle w/3L hydration bladder
                          Folding stove
                          Cook kit w/ pot, pan, spork x2, soap & sponge. Thanks to Morgan, a bag of rice, bullion cubes and small bottle of oil
                          Emergency rations - 6 days @ 2000 calories / day
                          Jerky - 2 bags
                          Sawyer Mini water filter
                          2 quart canteen w/ purification tablets
                          Grillput is a maybe. Not tested and not sure if it will replace the folding stove but I do like the idea of having the metal rods for other uses
                          Mirror
                          Poncho x2, lawn size trash bags x2
                          Microfiber blanket complements of Delta Airlines
                          TP
                          Wet wipes
                          Mylar blankets - 2
                          6x9 tarp
                          Gortex bivvy and poncho liner (woobie)
                          E-tool w/ molle pouch
                          Sunscreen, insect repellent, soap, moisturizer
                          Change of clothes - 2 pr socks, underwear and t-shirts
                          Jeans, shorts, fleece pullover, nylon shell
                          Lightweight gloves
                          Headlamp, clip on flashlight, two small flashlights, 4 glow sticks multi-purpose light - flashlight / lantern
                          Extra batteries
                          100' 550 cord
                          Leupold binos - in truck
                          100 rounds JHP .40
                          IFAK on drop leg rig w/mag pouches and extra CAT
                          Belt knife, multi-tool, carabiner w/knife. Sharpener
                          Fire kit - waterproof matches, lighter, magnesium fire starter x2, wetfire starters, large ball of cotton with lip balm
                          IWB and paddle holsters for pistols
                          Pencil, pen and waterproof pad
                          Small binos

Not pictured - 15 gal. bin (always in the truck)
                          Bellville boots, sneakers
                          Web gear w/butt pack, two canteens w/cups and purification tablets, two rifle mag pouches w/mags, drop leg pistol holster and compass
                          buttpack has provisions for two days, IFAK, cordage, flashlight, Lifestraw and fire kit
                          Squad size FAK
                          2nd Camelback w/3L bladder
                          1 Roll duct tape, 1 roll electrical tape
                          Assorted zip ties from small to flex cuff size

Other travel companions
                          SBR w/single point sling & 200 rounds ammo
                          Glock 23 w/can, Glock 27 and Ruger LCP (always on my person)
                          Cold Steel Recon-1 folding knife (always on my person)
                          Cold Steel machette and Estwing tommahawk

IMG_1171.jpgIMG_1172.JPGIMG_1175.JPG
                          Last edited by thatch; 12-17-2015, 02:39 PM.

Comment

I see that many of you have MREs in your bags. I had read that they are not all created equally. I'd prefer to get a quality product not just something made to look like the real McCoy. I found a few sources on the web but I'm hesitant to pull the trigger not having bought any before.

Comment

My problem with real MRE's is they will not necessarily hold up in the long run in a vehicle particularly. I like Mountain House, as they do actually use real heat. Of course the problem with freeze dried food is the low calorie count. I figure short time, we could all probably stand to lose a few pounds, so as long as you plan other stuff for supplements you should be ok.

Comment

Originally posted by angeryamerican View Post
                                .... Kick takes it for the spare tire he carries. I mean, I really thought you'd pack the one I sent it, hell of a lot lighter.
                                Ya know, I would, but it tends to get stuck in gopher holes.

For the newer crew, a reference thread...

http://angeryamerican.net/showthread...e-just-A-Holes!
                                Last edited by kickstand; 12-17-2015, 02:51 PM. Reason: added link
                                Defund the Media !!

Comment

Working...
                                X