Gardening

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Been there done that!
    Silence in the face of evil is itself evil: God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act.”
    Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Comment

• Picked more peppers . They are just about done. Stuffed them with kraut and pickled them.

Yes from the 1st picture you need beer . A good strong black Porter. Not for the recipe . For the guy guttin the peppers. This was a 3 beer batch.

A lot of work for 7 quart. But good things don't come easy.
      TFK
      Attached Files

Comment

• Use a vegetable peeler to 'gut' the peppers.

Comment

• The preschool minion and I recently discussed putting in a fall/winter garden for greens and maybe some peas, the worst of the heat should be past us now, but it's still a little too hot in the afternoons for some of what we want.
          quam minimum credula postero

Comment

• I picked a couple of my beets, the winter keeper beets. They are supposed to store like potatoes and can get big without losing flavor or getting woody. The flavor was really good! Maybe a little sweeter than the detroit dark reds I usually plant, but really good. Beets are part of my shtf plan, they are high in many nutrients and eating the greens just makes them better! Here's a pic of one next to a 4 oz jar of chokecherry jelly. And of some cut up.
            Attached Files

Comment

• I love beets. You either love them or hate them.
              Silence in the face of evil is itself evil: God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act.”
              Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Comment

• Oh, I hate them.
                At least, I think I still do. I haven't tried one in a very long time. Guess I should get one fresh and try it (always had them canned as a kid). Any recommendations on how to prepare it? Also, I've never had or prepared the greens. See, y'all are making me try all kinds of newish things!
                Pastemistress. Now aka Mimi

Comment

• Gwyn, I prefer simplicity when it comes to beets, I take the beet whole and chop off the greens, but leave about 4 inches of the greens still attached to the beet, then I boil the beets, how long depends on the size, I boiled that one for an hour. Then I let it cool, and cut the root off and the top and then the tough outer skin peels right off, just using your hands. Then I slice it and add butter and salt and eat. Others probably have fancier recipes...but i like it simple. As for the greens, they have to be on smaller younger beets to be tender, but I steam them just like spinach and add again butter, salt, and a bit of lemon juice.

Comment

• Can you eat the greens raw?

I love spinach raw, but dislike it cooked so much I don't think I've eaten them that way in over 20 years. Though I did add a little chopped up of some fresh out of our garden to a quiche I made a few years ago. That was okay because I couldn't really taste it.
                    Pastemistress. Now aka Mimi

Comment

• Gwyn, on cooking the beets, scrub them really really really well w/ a soft scrubber especially around the top. Use your thumb nail to get off the cruddy stuff around the top. (I only leave about 1" of the tops on). Then boil, less dirt taste than what you probably remember from when you were a kid

Comment

• And what is wrong with some dirt? you act like its abad thing
                        Sometimes I question my sanity but the unicorn and gummy bears told me I am fine

Comment

• I like to wrap beets in foil and throw in the oven till they are tender. (especially if you have the oven going for something else) Skin just peels off. Chunk them up and eat them. I like pickled beets real well too!
                          Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Comment

• BAKING!! That is genius!

Comment

• p.s. Gwyn, skins slip like tomatoes after they're cooked. Cook until you can easily put a fork in, like for mashed potatoes, not falling apart though

Comment

• image.jpg

My "green" lemons
                                Last edited by DMH; 09-26-2014, 12:57 PM. Reason: removed double pic, or at least tried to.
                                Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Comment

Working...
                                X