Gardening

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And So it begins

I've been working in the backyard (prepping for coop) and the garden beds, finally getting into the swing of things.

Today, I probably did too much. Tomorrow I will likely feel like I should be in traction and that I've taken a trip to the surface of the sun (forgot sunscreen, tho I did have a hat).

Because of the poor depth of our backyard soil (construction slag/fill starts about 2 inches down) we built raised beds several years ago. Last year we ran out of room, so RD planned to build two more, the sizing of these will be much easier to work in. Unfortunately, due to finances he was only able to complete one of the beds and that one only two boards high, rather than the three boards we had planned on. We were able to get a load of compost from the city sale this year but you can't use just that, it's too hot. So the new bed has been sitting forlornly with about a 3 inch layer of compost in it, growing weeds, until we could afford a load of topsoil. Today was that day.

RD rode to work so I had his truck was available to me to use. I went and got a load of topsoil, got it back to house, backed the truck up in the yard, and then proceeded to shovel it a bit at a time into a two-wheel wheelbarrow for the trek to the new planting bed, where I then had to shovel it into the bed.

Don't ask me how many trips it took, I lost count. BUT I did get it all done by myself. Even had the truck parked back in the driveway and the bed sprayed out by the time RD got home from work. There was even enough to add some to the North bed where RD will be planting tomatoes and peppers as soon as we get past the next FIVE days of predicted rain. Here's some pics:

Last edited by Gwynmael; 05-06-2015, 06:26 AM.
    Pastemistress. Now aka Mimi

Comment

• Nice beds! When do you plan to plant? Also like the orange dog barrier
      NICHEVO

Comment

• LOL, yeah for some reason they think the beds are their litter boxes! The one that's barriered has stuff growing already.

The new bed I'm hoping to plant Sunday or Monday. It depends on the rain/thunderstorm system.

Comment

• Wow... that's a lot of shoveling.
          Dode

Comment

• http://www.azomite.com/about.html Read up on this stuff to get minerals in the ground , check the where to buy , there's a place in Lecompton .
            An boy did you guys get the rain lol just watched the weather .

Comment

• Getting rained out on all fronts today so I took some pictures of the gardens. Raised beds are doing well planted with peppers and cucumbers

Big garden is in and all coming up Tomato's ,potato's onions , sweet corn and green beans

my zucchinis got blossoms already as well as some of my cucumbers.

strawberry's are plentiful here this year I got 10 quarts from the Amish 3 bucks a quart . We made a bunch of freezer jelly last night and she's making strawberry rhubarb pie tonight (I hope) . That's it nothing to do now but pull weeds hoe and wait for stuff to grow. TK
              Attached Files

Comment

• Your garden is looking good tk. Should be a nice harvest for you guys.

My little lemon tree barely made it through the winter. It was down to about a dozen leaves on it. This sun and heat we have had the last couple of days have really helped it sprout some new leaves out.

image.jpg
                Silence in the face of evil is itself evil: God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act.”
                Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Comment

• tk - what are the dimensions of your big garden space?

You've seen mine and I'm jealous.

Comment

• 24'x40ish?
                    Dode

Comment

• Vegetables.jpg

Picked from our garden this week. Watermelons have started growing already!
                      NICHEVO

Comment

• Gywn I would say Dodes about right . This is the first year for it there. My old garden was just behind where I built my pavilion so I moved it this year and just plowed this up . I don't have high expectations for it this year . Its kind of clayey ground and drys out fast . I'll put a couple feet of manure on it this fall and plow it in with 2 or 3 tons of buck wheat lime so it should get better. My old garden spot was beautiful dirt from years of use but was kinda in the way. So I took a little chunk out of my top field. Nich it looks like your garden is doing well.

Comment

• I have a pile of manure that's as big as a bus. Does anyone need any fertilizer?

Tex
                          = 2
                          sigpic

If we cannot define a simple word like greatness, how can we ever hope to use it as a measuring stick to know when we have risen beyond average?

Comment

• Originally posted by Tex View Post
                            I have a pile of manure that's as big as a bus. Does anyone need any fertilizer?

Tex
                            Put that shit on craigslist. Dad has people drive all the way to the ranch to buy his shit, he only charges $20 for a pickup load and loads it with the tractor. Takes 5 minutes, and everyone walks away happy. The good people of Gillette need your shit.

Comment

• One of our tomato plants. Hopefully I pick it before the birds destroy it! Need to get more bird netting, they've ruined 4 tomatoes already.

Tomatoes.jpg
                              NICHEVO

Comment

• Little bastards! One year, I had ground hogs take one bite out of every tomato.
                                Dode

Comment

Working...
                                X