Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by junior125 View Post
    ah I see it now, I'll take a dry ice package of some of those
    That might not turn out well (you'd probably end up with mushy frozen tomatoes). I could see about picking some that are half green and overnighting those.
    Pastemistress. Now aka Mimi

Comment

• I had that fun last week. 10 pints of salsa and 9 pints of tomatoes. This weekend was Rosy peach banana jam.
      Silence in the face of evil is itself evil: God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act.”
      Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Comment

• The RP's going off to OKC all week for work, and I can't go. Guess I'll make some jam or veggies.
        quam minimum credula postero

Comment

• Looks awesome guys!! My tomato plants produced... Well.... 1 tomato per plant.... IDK if it was the topsy turvy planters of maybe acid from the pine tree, but this yr did NOT turn out well....
          Liberty is NOT a privilege, it is a RIGHT

Comment

• Don't feel bad Pat. I have never seen a topsy turvy planter that did well.
            Last edited by DMH; 08-11-2014, 08:27 PM.
            Silence in the face of evil is itself evil: God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act.”
            Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Comment

• I agree with DMH, RD used two "homemade" bucket ones a couple of year ago. While we got more than one tomato per plant, they were completely stunted compared to the same variety planted traditionally.

I wonder if they'd do better with a determinate cherry or grape varietal. I also wonder if the "design" was an attempt to replicate/capitalize on the success that Disney World has had with their upside down hydroponic gardens. However, there they are able to provide sunlight at a much lower angle to the plant and rigidly control the growing conditions. Ours kept trying to grow "up" the outsides of the bucket to get more sunlight.
              Pastemistress. Now aka Mimi

Comment

• My own personal gardening experiment in the next couple of weeks with gardening/tampering with the natural order: Transplanting invasive species into a northern climate without any natural predators or controls. The only thing that could kill them are the cold.

Passionfruit (now sprouted indoors, waiting until next spring to plant)
                Cacti (indoors until spring)
                Kudzu (waiting until spring)
                Tropical Soda Apples (waiting until spring)
                Oranges (have saplings now, will wait to plant in spring)
                Tangerines (have saplings now, will wait to plant in spring)
                Anoles, AKA Lawn lizards (waiting until spring to release them)
                Sabal Palm (There's one in front of the Bel Air athletic club, so you never know)
                Tampa Vegetarians (can start putting in the ground now)
                You're still walking free. Enjoy it while you can.
                Homesite: http://millenniummangear.com
                Twitter: https://twitter.com/millenniumgear

Comment

• Second picking of the Tabasco peppers are ready for picking.

Tomatoes are pretty much done, well one might give me a little more. Lost track how many dozens I gave away this year on top of what we put in the freezer. It was a good year for them.

RD
                  Attached Files
                  Sometimes I wrestle with my demons, other times we just snuggle.

Comment

• We're gonna get pretty close to frost on Thurs. I don't think it will, but close will kill some stuff. Mine's about all done too. Tomatoes were really bad again this yr, but I was given so many last yr, I think I'll make it thru.

Comment

• Loved seeing all the garden pics
                      Dode

Comment

• We have canned all the tomato's we are going to . But have many on the vine. everything else is just about done . We have about 50 or more wax bell peppers that I have been letting get big . Going to stuff them with kraut and pickle Thursday night its suppose to rain and the Steelers are playing so its a good excuse to stay out of the shop and in where I can listen to the game while I stuff. My Brother in law's grapes got some kind of blight that's hit PA. they just shrivel up like they where frosted so no grape jelly. My apples got spotty (I didn't spay them ) but she got enough to make pie's and we might can a few. So for as wet a summer we have had the garden has done OK. I got to go to my hidden Rock pear tree in the woods not far from here and see if I got pears to can in October.

Comment

• My cucumbers and tomatoes did well, until BOOM, squash bugs hit the cucumbers a couple of weeks ago.. Second year in a row. Never had that prolem before. I used DE, eggs shells and coffee grounds added to the soil this year.
                          Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Comment

• I got cucumber bombed yesterday. Car windows were up & doors were locked, so someone left a cucumber balanced on my windshield wiper.

LOL, I passed it on. Put it on the windshield wiper of the lawyer that works in the building.

Comment

• We will be just about done with our peppers after tomorrow. Our pepper patch is 3-4 feet wide and 80-90 feet long with close to 150 plants that are all producing like crazy, eventhough they were planted late. The snow we are expected to get tonight though will likely kill most of the plants. The Hostile Native has been canning like crazy the last several days and it doesn't even look like she's made a dent in the pile.

Tex
                              = 2
                              sigpic

If we cannot define a simple word like greatness, how can we ever hope to use it as a measuring stick to know when we have risen beyond average?

Comment

• Somethings in life are universal, like hope and joy and pain,
                                But somethings only a gardener understands,
                                Like bed sheets draped over cages,
                                Worn blankets kept just for this,
                                In a battle that can't be won,
                                Just a desperate attempt to hold on to summer.

Attached Files
                                Last edited by doublel; 09-10-2014, 07:32 PM. Reason: Upside down picture syndrome.

Comment

Working...
                                X