• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The last of our measly carrot harvest

Pastemistress. Now aka Mimi

Comment

20140713_132307.jpg20140713_132314.jpg

Tomatoes are progressing better, not where I think they should be by now but the're catching up.

RD
      Sometimes I wrestle with my demons, other times we just snuggle.

Comment

County code enforcement dumbass: Them's r' mary-wanna plants! I'mma hafta fine yah and tear them out!

(three weeks later)

MM: RD, These tomatoes are coming in great. What's that large lump in the middle of the bed though?

RD: I'll never tell, muhehahahahahahaaaaaa....
        You're still walking free. Enjoy it while you can.
        Homesite: http://millenniummangear.com
        Twitter: https://twitter.com/millenniumgear

Comment

I have tons of cucumbers and my tomatoes are just ripening and picked one green pepper. Squash on the other hand, not so good. Have lots of blossoms, but plants are half the size they should be.
          Silence in the face of evil is itself evil: God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act.”
          Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Comment

Originally posted by DMH View Post
            I have tons of cucumbers and my tomatoes are just ripening and picked one green pepper. Squash on the other hand, not so good. Have lots of blossoms, but plants are half the size they should be.
            D- We have picked about 4 bells already, most of the tomatoes plants have plenty of green ones, just waiting for them to change. The Tabasco plant is about half the size of last years, but looks like it will give me plenty.

RD

Comment

Yes, cucumbers are on the menu daily around here.

IMAG09961146938179.jpg
              Silence in the face of evil is itself evil: God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act.”
              Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Comment

My wife's been making fridge pickles with zuk's and onions But I have noticed the cucumber plants are turning brown already . Its been a wet summer maybe to much water ? Tomato's Lots of green nothing red . I have had better gardens for sure.

Comment

I picked 2 zuchinnis, a tomato, and a head of lead lettuce today. It's been a very cool summer here in wyoming, everything is behind. I did just buy 100 tattler lids and am excited to do some canning.

Comment

Originally posted by RD View Post
                    [ATTACH=CONFIG]2826[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]2827[/ATTACH]

Tomatoes are progressing better, not where I think they should be by now but the're catching up.

RD

Yikes! That just reminded me that I haven't chopped the non-productive limbs off my plants yet. Mine always get huge & bushy but won't produce, then I remember to trim them - IDK why I forget every year! duh!

Picked lots of cukes, that's all that's ready so far. Almost ready to pick green beans. At least we finally have the weeding done!

Comment

Originally posted by Betty Buckshot View Post
                      Yikes! That just reminded me that I haven't chopped the non-productive limbs off my plants yet. Mine always get huge & bushy but won't produce, then I remember to trim them
                      I have never heard about doing that to tomato plants.

RD

I

Comment

Originally posted by RD View Post
                        I have never heard about doing that to tomato plants.

RD

I
                        "De-suckering"... I can't say that I see a difference in the production rate, but it definitely makes the 'mater's easier to see!
                        I do the same with the cucumbers when the vines get to be about 10-12 feet long.
                        'All it takes for evil to succeed, is for good men to do nothing.'

Comment

Yes, de-suckering...I've seen a difference in production. Sometimes they put all their energy/growth into stems & leaves & no tomatoes. Sometimes they are just so leafy that the tomatoes don't get sun & don't ripen. I just go along hacking off about 1/2 of the limbs that don't have any flowers or tomatoes. If you hack off all the unproductive limbs, your tomatoes are too exposed to the sun & start to split.

I'm sure there's a more 'acceptable method' but this works for me.

Comment

BB is correct about tomato pruning .
                            It is important to remove the suckers at the bottom of the plant .
                            This helps to reduce the chance of blight .
                            do not leave any debris from pruning around the garden .
                            compost them .

DD
                            OH Boy.....did you try plugging it in ?

Comment

Originally posted by dangerdan View Post
                              BB is correct about tomato pruning .
                              It is important to remove the suckers at the bottom of the plant .
                              This helps to reduce the chance of blight .
                              do not leave any debris from pruning around the garden .
                              compost them .

DD
                              I will give that a try, anything to help. Thank you all.

RD

Comment

Heading yo the tomato patch with a machete.

Comment

Working...
                                X