No announcement yet.

Gardening

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have heated with a coal furnace when I was young. Of course the coal was free (we where aloud up to 10 ton a year for your own use at the mine). I still think I would rather shovel 5 ton of coal once in the fall than cut and split fire wood for months. They both make ashes I guess and wood burning smells way better than coal. I would have to think about that one if I would have to change heating systems around here.

Comment

• The coal stove was in the house when we bought it. So it stayed. It's a stoker that runs rice coal. 90k BTUs. Not bad for what it does. Plus we live close enough to coal country to make it cheap enough to buy from the breakers.

When we build and move, we are going to be putting in radiant floor heat, so I need a boiler. I considered coal, but the cost is greatly increased because of where we are moving to. The wood in my front/back/side yards is free.

I grew up loading a wood stove everyday. It's what we did to stay warm growing up. I didn't mind it one bit. And I have always liked cutting wood. As long as I can do it, I am going to do it. For backup, I will have propane hot water.

Comment

Working...
      X