Gardening

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please do.

I plan on working yall like a bunch of rented mules.

Tex
    = 2
    sigpic

If we cannot define a simple word like greatness, how can we ever hope to use it as a measuring stick to know when we have risen beyond average?

Comment

We'll plant beets & 27 kinds of squash

Comment

FINALLY finished planting my garden...a month after I started. I am trying to grow as organic as possible. We have never used any pesticide in the garden, but some miracle grow a few years ago. Otherwise just aged sheep manure from dad's ranch. I bought most of my tomatoes, tomatillos, and pepper plants from azure standard. They are organic, open pollinated varieties, mostly heirlooms. I had to fill in with a few plants from the green house here. The potatoes, onions, and most of the seed crops are certified organic as well. I am trying a variety of beet I hadn't heard of before this year, Lutz, also known as Winterkeeper. I guess it stores very well. Anyone ever tried it? Anyhow hope all of your gardens as doing very well!

Comment

Hey Tex, you ever consider putting (or relocating) some asparagus along the riverbank? It'll go wild and spread a little, but not crazy like spinach or mint. Just wondered, as I recall it grows along the North Platte and a few other rivers around there.
          quam minimum credula postero

Comment

Gardening in the air lol...

We have way too many kids running around where I live (including ours) to trust gardening on the ground, so we did this:

IMG_0160 (Copy).jpg
            Liberty is NOT a privilege, it is a RIGHT

Comment

Have you ever used these before patriotmuso? We tried one a few years back. My unsolicited piece of advice is when the plants start fruiting to figure out a very consistent watering schedule. We lost most of our tomatoes in it to bottom rot, which I found out is caused by inconsistent watering, the plant dries out too much in the heat of the day, then gets too wet.

W.Lynn aspargus does indeed grow wild along the north platte...that's a fantastic idea for tex, then I can come steal some!

Comment

Originally posted by doublel View Post
                Have you ever used these before patriotmuso? We tried one a few years back. My unsolicited piece of advice is when the plants start fruiting to figure out a very consistent watering schedule. We lost most of our tomatoes in it to bottom rot, which I found out is caused by inconsistent watering, the plant dries out too much in the heat of the day, then gets too wet.
                Advice taken and much appreciated.. I have not used them...

Comment

Originally posted by doublel View Post

W.Lynn aspargus does indeed grow wild along the north platte...that's a fantastic idea for tex, then I can come steal some!
                  Is that the same thing as Blossom End Rot?
                  Pastemistress. Now aka Mimi

Comment

Yes it is Gwyn....i suppose blossom end rot is the accurate term.

Comment

We've found that adding calcium to the soil helps a lot. We typically do this by saving egg shells (rinse and remove membrane), letting them dry for several days (or however long it takes you to save up at least a dozen shells), grind them into a powder with a rolling pin or mortar and pestle, add to the soil (best when you plant, but you can add it in later), and water it in.

We've only lost a few each year to Blossom End Rot since we started doing that. Waaay better than losing the entire season's production.
                      Pastemistress. Now aka Mimi

Comment

Originally posted by Gwynmael View Post

We've found that adding calcium to the soil helps a lot. We typically do this by saving egg shells (rinse and remove membrane), letting them dry for several days (or however long it takes you to save up at least a dozen shells), grind them into a powder with a rolling pin or mortar and pestle, add to the soil (best when you plant, but you can add it in later), and water it in.

We've only lost a few each year to Blossom End Rot since we started doing that. Waaay better than losing the entire season's production.

Except when I forget and throw them away.
                        Sometimes I wrestle with my demons, other times we just snuggle.

Comment

Originally posted by Patriotmuso View Post
                          We have way too many kids running around where I live (including ours) to trust gardening on the ground, so we did this:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2574[/ATTACH]
                          I recommend a fence, not only works for four legged kids but the two legged ones also. )
                          Sometimes I wrestle with my demons, other times we just snuggle.

Comment

doublel, found enough of it when I lived in Douglas, even transplanted some to the yard at the house. My folks still live a handful of blocks from the river, in Douglas, but at their age, tromping through the underbrush isn't at the top of their weekend plans.
                            quam minimum credula postero

Comment

My dad has a big aspargus patch at the ranch....so we have only went hunting it a couple of times. I am all about getting into the foraging lifestyle tho.

Comment

Originally posted by rdragon View Post
                                I recommend a fence, not only works for four legged kids but the two legged ones also. )
                                Unfortunately we're not "allowed" says the "community" manager.... Or believe me, we would have fenced our entire yard lol

Comment

Working...
                                X