No announcement yet.

Dode's New Woodchipper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have to keep the animal count low, so I can lead a life of trailer tramping across the wild west. Seriously!
    Dode

Comment

She stand a better chance with you than at a shelter. Have a heart.

Comment

AD.... your pleas fall on deaf ears. I am NOT going to be 'that old cat lady'. Did I mention that it is a no kill shelter? I have the utmost confidence she will get a great home.

I made a small pile of limbs in my driveway turn around last week. So, I pushed the chipper out to it, brought the yard cart, took some pics....... and it started to rain. Here are some pics, just to whet your appetites.

Here is a pic of one of the big brush piles

Attached Files
        Dode

Comment

I have no idea as to why my pics show up twice...... any suggestions?
          Dode

Comment

Make sure the engine has oil in it before trying to start it .
            Sometimes , they are shipped with no oil in the crank case .

DD.
            OH Boy.....did you try plugging it in ?

Comment

Originally posted by Dode View Post
              I have no idea as to why my pics show up twice...... any suggestions?
              The computer knows how excited you are to have a chipper .

DD
              OH Boy.....did you try plugging it in ?

Comment

UPDATE: I read the starting instructions; they are similar to any other yard gas engine. Engine to 'on', set choke, gas on. Gently pulled the rope thingy until it stopped, then gave it a slow pull to full extension. Held on and let it slowly retract. Repeat. Now, it's ready for the start pull. Gently pull rope till it stops, then give the rope a firm, hard pull to full extension. Engine sounds good, release choke and she's up to full steam! Not too loud, either. I put on some ear protection and grabbed a 1.5" limb and fed it in the tube. Awesome! (This is gonna be fun!)

However, I need to find my big leaf bag to put in the cart, so the chips won't fly out. I was hoping that wouldn't be the case, but it is. I might have to make a new one, as I put the bag away so well, 10 years ago, that I can't find it.... hmmm. I'm thinking that I'll make muslin covers for the cart and the barrel that will attach to the discharge chute.
                Dode

Comment

Originally posted by dangerdan View Post
                  Make sure the engine has oil in it before trying to start it .
                  Sometimes , they are shipped with no oil in the crank case .

DD.
                  I did all the prep yesterday, after I screwed it together. Takes .6 quart of 10W-30. I've decided to make my own dipstick, so I can check the oil level before each use. It has an automatic shut down for low oil. I don't want to be in the middle of a big pile and have it quit. Reviewers said that it wouldn't start for 30 minutes if it was ever shut down after running a long time.
                  Dode

Comment

It didn't rain very long; maybe, lightly for 5 minutes. I hunted through the garden shed and found some screen cloth to put over the barrel and tied it down. Cut a flap in it and started chipping. Works great. It wasn't long before my back was killing me and then I remembered my plan to elevate the chipper, so I wouldn't have to bend over to feed the chipper. I was going to put it on the flatbed trailer; that should be about right.

It chips the big stuff really well, but the 1/8" twigs go right on through. Fine with me, it will all be compost in a year.
                    I see that I melted a hole in the 50 gallon trash bin..... I can move the bin farther away and make a screen chute to direct the chips. Or, I could lay a tarp on the ground to catch the chips.

Attached Files
                    Last edited by Dode; 05-29-2015, 05:56 PM.
                    Dode

Comment

Saw a car with this decal today, and thought of you. Except the one that I saw said "Nobody cares about your stick figure family"

41D9j92PfYL._SS500_.jpg
                      Defund the Media !!

Comment

I must be demented; that's funny!

Couldn't sleep past 4:30. The incessant thumping of a large cat and half pint kitten is keeping me awake.
                        Dode

Comment

Omg... they're taking a nap... I'm going back to bed!
                          Dode

Comment

What...no action pics? Let's see that thing in operation...........
                            Kessler
                            I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure....
                            INCOMING GUNFIRE ALWAYS HAS THE RIGHT-OF-WAY!

Comment

That would require a cameraman.... I don't know the first thing about making a video. The only thing I know to do is keyboard my laptop and send a text mssg. If I knew how to video myself, I would've videoed myself crashing the scooter....lol
                              Dode

Comment

I need to make a stand for the chipper, so it will be elevated and I won't have to bend over to feed the limbs into the chute. Need to run to the lumber yard asap
                                Dode

Comment

Working...
                                X