Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• W.Lynn
    replied
    All I ever knew about calves, was that it was kind of pointless to sacrifice a cow, to get to a calf that might not be worth squat. Sometimes, a calf will get their head wedged wrong, pulling it can break it's neck - only to look at what they'd given up to save the cow, and rue the decision because it was exactly the beast they needed.

You never know til it's over, so you just keep on working at it.

(No personal experience, just listening to old guys who get their morning coffee & BS at the gas station in Granger.)

Leave a comment:

• tk
    replied
    You guessed it . You heard these guys talking about pulling calves and all the problems that come with it. A big old long legged calf turned the wrong way in a grown cow is a bitch. In a heifer it's a nightmare and a lot of times you lose both calf and heifer.

Leave a comment:

• W.Lynn
    replied
    Probably easier if you have to pull, though with human births, it's medically proven that a full size youngster is easier to push.
    Last edited by W.Lynn; 05-11-2014, 11:07 PM. Reason: Interesting markings might make for good prices on hides.

Leave a comment:

• Jstwaiting
    replied
    I'll be the first with the inevitable dumb questions. Why the low birth weight requirement ?? Makes birthing easier with small calves ??

Leave a comment:

• tk
    replied
    My opinion is this if it doesn't look good as a bull calf . Its not going to look good as a grown bull. I do agree growing a herd from with in is a slow process to making a uniform herd. So short of selling out and starting over your best bet is taking a few of your best cows and AI them to some top genetic bulls. Still a slow process but now you get some better genes in your herd.

Leave a comment:

• W.Lynn
    replied
    I've found it an interesting discussion, even if it is short. If anyone wants to add a bit more info as it comes to mind, I'll enjoy reading it.

Leave a comment:

• doublel
    replied
    My family has been running cattle for decades and never kept a bull from our own cattle. Now mind you, when we sell our calves we almost always top the market and ranchers buy our heifer calves as replacements. This is because we buy good quality bulls. Right now my dad is selecting bulls with carcass genetic markers, as well as his ever present low birth weight requirement. If you can't afford to spend money on a bull, I think tex is right with the AI your top cow to a really good bull. Sorry this wasn't exactly answering your which calf to keep question, but is my honest answer.

Leave a comment:

• Tex
    replied
    Originally posted by southernmom View Post
    Okay, getting ready to cut one of our little bulls to make him a steer to raise for meat. Now I remember back when Pop used to do it but he never taught me and I don't know what his decision making skills were in terms of which little bull to keep. We kept several bulls because we ran 4 different pieces of property and had enough cows that we would rotate bulls to keep several lines going. Of course when he died my grandmother sold the properties and the majority of the cows...but I digress.

I have 3 little bulls to choose from. (might be 4, there is one bull that I don't recall seeing born but only runs with our herd, not the other herd that shares our property. I'm keeping an eye on him to see who his mama is) One is stocky, solid and gonna be a BIG bull. (I call him ghostface cause of his coloring). I would like to keep him to trade/sell in the future. Then there is the little red bull with the 'v' shape on his forehead and I'll be honest, I like his coloring and his markings are so peculiar I would like to hang on to him for a while. That leaves a nice little red bull who is a little smaller than the others but there's just something about him that doesn't scream 'good breeder'. Not as stocky and his boy parts just look 'smaller' than the other bulls. I believe I will cut him. Now is there some other kind of consideration I need to keep in mind in regards to this decision?
    Thanks a bunch!
    Southernmom, there is alot of criteria to consider when choosing a herd bull
    Birth weight
    Weaning weight
    Yearling weight
    Milking ability of the females from that line
    Scrotal size (Bulls with smaller nuts usually aren't as Good)
    You also want a bull that breeds for type. The more uniform your calf herd is when you sell, the more money you make. Calf buyers have orders to fill and they buy according to type.

I don't know how many cattle you guys are running, but I would definitely be breeding for a uniform calf crop. If it we me and I could not afford to go and buy a good Angus type bull, I would pick out my best cow that has the most uniform cows from year to year and I would AI her to a good bull. You can use sexed semen to assure that you get a bull calf, or you can take your chances and possibly get a good heifer calf out of the deal. Ranchers should always be striving to improve their herds though.

The cattle buyers are starting to get more finicky on the quality of calves they buy because the American consumer is getting more finicky on what they eat. Having a uniform calf crop puts more dollars in the ranchers pocket consistently, as does having black calves. People may not be a fan of Angus cattle, but the Angus Association has done a good job of marketing themselves and a rancher can expect a nickel per pound premium when they sell black hided cattle. They also like the Angus calves because they do such a good job of weight gain when they are put on feed. When you sell cattle that look like Florida Cracker Cattle, you are shorting yourself. It was the same way for us in Texas when we were selling the same type of calves ourselves. If you are picking new herd bulls out of your current calf crops, you are guaranteeing that your cattle quality will not improve.

These are just a few of my personal opinions. On the calf that your gut is saying will not make a good breeder, get rid of him. If your gut is telling you that, it is probably right.

Call me later and we can talk more about it.

Tex

Leave a comment:

• MillenniumMan
    replied
    They wouldn't happen to be some of those bulls on 50 they're advertising in Mascotte are they?

Leave a comment:

• Tex
    replied
    Yes Southernmom, There are several things you need to keep in mind when making this decision. It would take me a good two hours to type it all out and I'm still not sure I could convey what I am trying to say. LOL. I will try to give you a call in a little while if you have time.

Happy Mothers Day, by the way. I hope all of those kids are giving you the Queen's Treatment today.

Tex

Leave a comment:

• southernmom
    started a topic steer question

steer question

Okay, getting ready to cut one of our little bulls to make him a steer to raise for meat. Now I remember back when Pop used to do it but he never taught me and I don't know what his decision making skills were in terms of which little bull to keep. We kept several bulls because we ran 4 different pieces of property and had enough cows that we would rotate bulls to keep several lines going. Of course when he died my grandmother sold the properties and the majority of the cows...but I digress.

I have 3 little bulls to choose from. (might be 4, there is one bull that I don't recall seeing born but only runs with our herd, not the other herd that shares our property. I'm keeping an eye on him to see who his mama is) One is stocky, solid and gonna be a BIG bull. (I call him ghostface cause of his coloring). I would like to keep him to trade/sell in the future. Then there is the little red bull with the 'v' shape on his forehead and I'll be honest, I like his coloring and his markings are so peculiar I would like to hang on to him for a while. That leaves a nice little red bull who is a little smaller than the others but there's just something about him that doesn't scream 'good breeder'. Not as stocky and his boy parts just look 'smaller' than the other bulls. I believe I will cut him. Now is there some other kind of consideration I need to keep in mind in regards to this decision?
    Thanks a bunch!
Working...
X