No announcement yet.

Spent the summer in the Winds.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Man I like these pictures and the info. Starting to think I need to go see more of WY. Tex only showed me the part with out tree's. Keep on posting please.

Comment

Originally posted by tfk View Post
      Man I like these pictures and the info. Starting to think I need to go see more of WY. Tex only showed me the part with out tree's. Keep on posting please.
      There's an initiation process. New people can't come to Wyoming and go immediately to the beautiful parts. It works on a merit type system and you have to work hard and earn your way into the more desirable areas.

Besides all that, Wyoming doesn't have any pretty areas. When people here want to see beautiful country, we go to Montana or Colorado. As a matter of fact, I would bet that if Ski told the truth, all these pictures were taken somewhere in Montana. Wyoming sure don't have anything like what is shown in these pics.

Tex
      = 2
      sigpic

If we cannot define a simple word like greatness, how can we ever hope to use it as a measuring stick to know when we have risen beyond average?

Comment

Your just keeping the timber for yourself. Have chainsaw will travel

Comment

Fish and Game in Pinedale told me many of the higher lakes were sterile until Chuck Yeager and some of his co horts at Edwards AFB in California decided to fly helicopters from the golden trouts native habitat there to Wyoming dumping fingerlings into some of the higher lakes up in the Winds. They also told me the current world record goldie was caught very near where I was catching them.
          "Location"??? Not on your or my life will THAT be divulged on a public forum. I will tell you it is a serious 4 day hike UPHILL from about 9,400 feet up to above 10,500 feet.
          Genetically they are very close relatives of the rainbow trout. Lemme see if I can find some scenery photos.

Comment

This was taken another days hike up the drainage from where the last tent photo was at. The fishing got better and better the farther I went from civilization. There is no trail to follow up there, it is bushwhacking most of the way. I saw no other people or any sign of people the entire time. Nearly 2 weeks just exploring this one area.

Comment

The view of the Continental Divide from my vestibule.

Comment

This is looking east at the Continental Divide just south of Yellowstone. There simply is no describing the landscape up there. It is beyond enormous. You have to stand there and really look at it for awhile to genuinely appreciate the scale of it. The park alone is nearly 2 and 1/2 million acres and the surrounding real estate is several times that large. The greater Yellowstone ecosystem is still largely intact and still the way Lewis and Clark saw it nearly 200 years ago.

Comment

Oh!! Here we go. I was looking for some of my solo stove shots.

This is my Stihl saw. This is the finest folding saw I have ever used. Light weight and still sharp after using it all summer.

What works best with the Solo Stove is to saw up some rounds, split them with my knife and then use a rock to bash up some of it into tinder.

This stove will burn anything I find up there but the real stunt is to get it lit quickly and efficiently. I now consider myself to be an absolute expert at using this stove. One of my first chores in a new campsite is to gather and cut and split enough firewood for what ever time I plan to be there.

Comment

Originally posted by Tex View Post
                    There's an initiation process. New people can't come to Wyoming and go immediately to the beautiful parts. It works on a merit type system and you have to work hard and earn your way into the more desirable areas.

Besides all that, Wyoming doesn't have any pretty areas. When people here want to see beautiful country, we go to Montana or Colorado. As a matter of fact, I would bet that if Ski told the truth, all these pictures were taken somewhere in Montana. Wyoming sure don't have anything like what is shown in these pics.

Tex

LOL Tex

Comment

Ski, what were the temps like at that altitude?
                      People without any brains do an awful lot of talking. Don't they?!
                      ~the Scarecrow from the Wizard of Oz

Comment

Ski, the Hostile Native just held up a big ziploc full of papers and asked, "What's this?". I told her I didn't know and thought it was hers. Then she pulled out a picture of some fish and asked if it might be yours. Seeing that picture, I looked a little closer and realized the ziploc was plumb full of maps.

Yep, it's yours.

Tex
                        = 2
                        sigpic

If we cannot define a simple word like greatness, how can we ever hope to use it as a measuring stick to know when we have risen beyond average?

Comment

Originally posted by Tex View Post
                          Ski, the Hostile Native just held up a big ziploc full of papers and asked, "What's this?". I told her I didn't know and thought it was hers. Then she pulled out a picture of some fish and asked if it might be yours. Seeing that picture, I looked a little closer and realized the ziploc was plumb full of maps.

Yep, it's yours.

Tex
                          Get to coordinates of his lakes and pass them around.

Comment

AD, I'm in complete agreement with Ski as to disclosing the whereabouts of any lakes that may or may not hold fish, it aint gonna happen. Not only will I not divulge that information on a public board, but I won't even do it in person. I was made privvy to the location, but I swore that I would not be guilty of gumflapping and letting any locations slip. Even if the coordinates were divulged, I bet there are not 1 in 10 who could actually make the trek in to find any mysterious fishing lakes.

Perhaps I should have warned everyone that AA is not the only fiction writer on this board. Ski is just as good at writing fiction and he even uses visual aids. There are no mysterious alpine lakes with world record trout. There are no beautiful panaramic views of the Great Divide in Wyoming. There are no freedom loving mountainmen here who can and will hide out in the mountains for weeks and months on in. The warning signs for the bears are all in Montana. It's all fiction, people.

AD, Ski extended an invitation to anyone who might like to go next summer. You know what they say about excuses, here's your chance to get in on some good fishing. I'm planning on going.

Tex
                            = 2
                            sigpic

Comment

Was Kidding.....well...........

Would love to go fishing this summer. Depends on the job front.......

Comment

What model is that Stihl saw, the PS 10 or PS 30?

Comment

Working...
                                X