No announcement yet.

Big quake soon?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I tend to rank the "OMG, earthquakes, it's the END!" club right up there with the "OMG, we decoded the Bible, it's the END!" club. Had a downright fun time with some of Harold "thrice-wrong" Camping believers who were on SB acting like ass-hats.
    quam minimum credula postero

Comment

I don't recall anyone here saying it was the end, simply an observation.
      I'm drunk tonith.

Comment

WE aren't saying anything is the end of all humanity, we're just keeping track of all the available ends of the world we get to choose from. Earthquakes are a popular one.

I once read a funny short story in a sci fi magazine. It was written from the point of view of an anthropologist among the great great grandchildren of the survivors, after the End Of The World came about because the bureaucracy exploded and covered the world with paperwork.

Comment

Oh gee we can only hope Yellowstone blows, think of all that soil building ash that can help my and your gardens. My cherry tomato's would be the size of grapefruits and okra pods 3 ft long. We could sell it over sea's for oil , blow baby blow.

Comment

Ooh, anyone ever read a story where scientists perfected earthquake-predicting by use of computers, sensors, known quake history, etc. They got a result they couldn't believe, but the date, time, and severity were the same no matter how many times they ran it. So they figured the unbelievable part was a mistake in the algorithms, and evacuated almost the entire west coast in a hurry. Last minute, guy runs back into the building for something, trips, and knocks himself out. Hours later, when he comes to, he walks outside, looks at the new, shining, expanse of water rippling in the sunshine east of California, rubbing his sore head and neck. Muttering "holy cow, the computer was right."

Comment

I used to supply a scientist with computer components for remote solar powered, satellite fed data collection / prediction / notification for earthquakes. That was a long time ago, there must be much better stuff by now. He was a very sharp guy, and I definitely could see him doing that.

Comment

How can you predict the millions of variables with all the stress cracks in the earths crust . When it goes that's when you'll know.

Comment

Hard to predict. The only way is through data tables of past earthquakes with formulas covering event frequency, etc. Even then it's a crap shoot.

Comment

That's why it makes for exciting stories. Fiction or news (and sometimes you can even tell the difference, fiction writers are usually proud enough to say they cooked something up.)

Comment

I find Cliff High interesting to follow. He talks about all kinds of things but often about quakes and natural disasters.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
                      I'm coming to get you.... AND, I'm bringing my dog!!!

Comment

Every time the New Madrid has an ordinary size shiver, the liner in my underground pool shifts. I now have 4 new wrinkles in the liner. There was a 2.9 magnitude 4 days ago about 150 miles south of me.

In CA, Sonoma county had a good one a few weeks ago and Chile got hit pretty hard this summer. The guy making predictions a couple of years ago might not be too far off.
                        Dode

Comment

Thanks Tex. I work for a gas company

Comment

Take a look at https://www.youtube.com/user/Suspicious0bservers
                            He theorizes that earthquakes can be predicted by observing the earth and suns magnetic fields. He occasionally issues earthquake watches, and almost always we have a few here in OK during that period.

Comment

Several "news making" earthquakes this past week, the biggest in Nepal at 7.9 today.
                              Yesterday: 6.2 magnitude earthquake near Kitimat, British Columbia, Canada
                              Yesterday: 6.1 magnitude earthquake near Nelson, New Zealand
                              Idaho had a 3.0 on 4-24-15.
                              In this part of the country on the New Madrid fault there have been 8 small quakes, the largest being 4.0 in the past month.

I guess mother nature is blowing of some steam.

Silence in the face of evil is itself evil: God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act.”
                              Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Comment

Looks like I will be spending 2 week/month in Seattle. Better get my GHB ready.

Comment

Working...
                                X