Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have a Laser Strike in my GHB and an Izula in my EDC

oh and a Becker BK2 "sharpened pry bar" in the truck

I just wasnt sure if in the book Morgan had both?
    Last edited by Cannonball; 11-23-2015, 05:48 PM.

Comment

• It has been a while since I read it, but as I recall, he had one in the car door and one in the pack. I don't remember if he carried both.

Comment

• Originally posted by redman2006 View Post
        BTW, did you add the radio in that Sarge added? Then there was the carbine after he was there and.....
        No I didn't (at least not knowingly) list anything that he didn't have with him from the start. The food that he picked up along the way, the kit upgrade from Sarge and the AK from the Kerr Lake Militia were all after the fact items.

Comment

• That sleeping bag, while bomb proof, is darned heavy. Somewhere around 10 lbs!

Comment

• ESEE4 and/or 5. I never caught that both were mentioned. So much for my definitive list.

Perhaps the author would clarify if we asked nicely. AA what say you?

Comment

• There may also be some version differences, many of us read the rough draft, then some editing was done and there were idiots involved who sent him the edited file to approve, then for some brainless reason, they wanted to move forward with the unedited file.

There was some stupidity there. Not the horsing around, short bus, paste-eating jokes we make either, honest, thick-skulled, fire somebody, stupid.
              quam minimum credula postero

Comment

• Yeah the 5 was on his pack. It was attached to my pack at the time but I always carried the four. I've spoke with ESEE before about the five and their initial concept was for air crew survival. The glass breaker on the butt is so robust because they envisioned breaking out canopies with it. It is a hell of a thick blade. But I like it. ESEE makes some really nice blades but there are just so damn many good blade companies out there today it's hard to decide what to carry!
                I'm drunk tonith.

Comment

• Maybe I am just noticing it more, but there really are a lot of good knives compared to 20 years ago. I really like ESEE designs, but I wish they would come out with a few stainless noncoated. That little izula is a nice little utility knife. I have really enjoyed mine.

Comment

• Didnt he have a Gerber hatchet that went into one of the would-be rapists' head?

Comment

• Yes he did and he pulled it out and kept going afterwards.

Comment

• Does anyone have and use a Gerber hatchet? I looked at one because I needed a hatchet for yard work. It seemed so light, I skipped it. I thought as light as it was, I would use more energy swinging and forcing it than a heavier one and letting gravity work it. Just curious how they actually were to actually use.

Comment

• Yes I have 3 different gerber/fiskars axes and I love them

Easy to sharpen, hold a razor edge and the handle absorbs shock well
                          Owner of the quietsurvivalist.com

Comment

• hello all, are the night vision goggles used in the pack generation 1 technology? looking at some myself and there is a huge price jump from gen 1 to gen 2. gen 3/4 are very expensive. i havent been able to find information on the Pulsar Edge GS20 night vision

Comment

• I don't remember off the top of my head, I believe he says it in the book. I'll have to check when I'm home if someone else doesn't get to it first. Video of the NVs you talked about: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xHZ1h56Ozo
                              Review I found on Midwayusa:
                              I bought these for home defense and to be able to navigate at night without needing a flashlight. Overall, I would say they are a good value for the money, but there are some caveats.

The head mount is plastic; it is convenient and does the job, but would probably break if you wrestled zombies while wearing it. It has a swivel that locks in the up and down positions. Press a button to unlock, and the goggles flip up out of the way. Press again and they flip down into position to use.

Image quality is OK, but not awesome. Everthing has a grainy look that becomes grainier as light levels decrease. These goggles are usable without the IR illuminator in light levels down to what appears to be pitch dark, but not much darker than that. If there's any ambient light at all, you're good, but if you're in a cave or totally dark environment, you'll need to use the illuminator. They're better than other Gen 1 devices I've tried, but far from superb--definitely good enough to navigate around in the dark, and locate, identify,and engage hostile zombies in your vicinity, but forget about reading the date off a dime.

These goggles are binocular, so you do have depth perception, but things are about 6 inches farther away than they appear because of the distance between the front and back of the goggles. Each side has its own focus and diopter adjustment, but there is no adjustment for eye spacing. If your face is fairly average, no worries, but if you have an unusually wide or narrow face, look elsewhere. Field of view is OK, but does not include peripheral vision.

Using these while shooting takes some getting used to. If you're firing a rifle, your best bet is to use a laser. Trying to look through a scope is very difficult, and the recoil will probably damage the scope and/or goggles if you fire while doing so. Iron sights are useless, even with tritium inserts; they will be a fist-sized blur of no use for aiming.

For pistols, the same is true, the gun and sights are a big blur. A laser is easiest, but if you have a red-dot scope on the pistol, you will be able to see the dot reasonably well, but aligning the pistol so you can see the dot is harder because you can't see the pistol itself. You'll need to develop muscle memory if you want to shoot with any kind of speed.

Battery life is good, the manufacturer claims seem to be accurate. The brightness overload protection works well, too. When firing a pistol in the dark, the muzzle flash doesn't cause any lingering afterimage; it's there and then gone and the image goes back to normal almost instantly.

Overall, I recommend these goggles. But you will need to do some practice and training if you want to get the most use out of them.
                              lofflorida.com

Comment

• Regarding the laser for NV goggle use, I assume that an infrared laser would work. That way, your target won't be able to see you aiming at them (well, unless they're wearing NV goggles, too). Of course, without the NV goggles, the infrared laser would be useless.

I've actually thought about this. We have a rather huge coyote problem here, so I've thought about getting a NV monocle (I'm functionally blind in one eye, so binocular vision won't be of any help to me.), and an IR laser for the rifle. But, there's just not enough fun time for all of the fun projects. Besides, it's too darned cold to be wandering around in the dark right now. :-/ Also, I need to check into the legalities of this (There are some screwy laws out there, even regarding varmints.).

Dave

Comment

Working...
                                X