No announcement yet.

What's in Your Bug-Out Bag? Contest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There best not be anyone trying to disappear what I'm waiting on - the RP finally got it in his head that the fancy mixer I've been watching the price on for years, was so we could do our own grinding (breakfast sausage, ground beef and such.) He likes that idea, so he ordered one. KitchenAid Pro model, in a nice metal color instead of those "escaped from the 50's" colors, arriving this week!
    quam minimum credula postero

Comment

• Originally posted by W.Lynn View Post
      There best not be anyone trying to disappear what I'm waiting on - the RP finally got it in his head that the fancy mixer I've been watching the price on for years, was so we could do our own grinding (breakfast sausage, ground beef and such.) He likes that idea, so he ordered one. KitchenAid Pro model, in a nice metal color instead of those "escaped from the 50's" colors, arriving this week!
      You'll love it. Got one a few years ago (in tactical black) so I could get cookies on a more regular basis. Got a free ice cream making attachment with it too. I've been eyeing the grinder attachment myself to try a little sausage making.

Comment

• The only issue I have is that I can't believe that the top head doesn't tilt back, you have to lower the bowl assembly. Don't get me wrong...love mine, I use it quite often. It makes a pretty good cheesecake, with just a little help from me.
        Defund the Media !!

Comment

• Kick are you sure? The head on Mine tilts back. Mines a kitchen aid classic . The ice cream maker works perfect. The kids bought me the grinder attachment this year. It grinds good and for small batches of meat it would be perfect but the throat is just to small for large pieces. I ground a whole deer this year and it took for ever and I had to cut it into small strips. I haven't tried the sausage attachment yet. You cant beat the porcelain auger it uses and it is really easy to clean. I still like the model I have . I don't bake but the wife loves all those fancy mixing attachments.

Comment

• I've had the Kitchenaid K5S model for about 25 years and I love it. Over the years I been able to get just about every attachment they make. This is the one appliance I couldn't do without! Mine is a fixed head model, you know with the lift lever. I got mine when they were just beginning to come out with all the colors, I chose cobalt blue.

Comment

• Ohh boy!!! Cool discussion and pictures guys! Love it. Ok here is my truck. I know there's a ton of stuff in it, but keep in mind, no one knows what, where, why, how or when something bad is going to happen. None can predict who will be with you, or what you will need. So I pack it all If something does happen I'd pick and choose what to bring.

My truck has a flat area under the rear seat, the seats fold up creating a flat area. I use that area for to my advantage. I place a peice of carpet down and fold it over my gear so it's out of sight. Soon after I bought the truck I found that the rear seats also fold down (for some reason it's not in the owner's manual). This area also provides space if you are careful packing it.
              Here's a shot of everything put away and hidden.

Here's a picture of the gear under the bench. Notice the carpet laying out that fold up to hide anything poking out.
              Shown is Trauma Kit, fishing kit, 3 Snugpack sleeping bags, my main pack.

Here is a picture of the back seat folded down.

I'll start with the gear under the bench:
              I have a tri-fold trauma kit.
              The kit has Quick-Clot, and everything a EMT might need.

Sleeping Kit: 3 Snugpack sleeping bags. There are a 2 poncho liners and a couple fleece blankets.

Three USGI Issue Bivi sacks 2 fleece blankets, 3 tarps, poncho liner.

Warbonnet hammock:

Now we'l look at what's behind the seat in sections:
              First change of clothes, boots, pants, shirt, 3 pairs of socks, Thermos, change of underwear, pair of gloves, work gloves, beanie, scarf, bug nets, exc.

Then I have my Nomex flight jacket from the Navy, and a parka.

Tool Kit-- tools, crow bar, rope.

Cutting tools: Axe (with cordage, small locking knife, fire-steel) Battoning knife with fire kit (fire steel, petroleum cotton balls, cordage, knife sharpener, sewing needles and thread).

Part 2:
              Self defense:
              Aside from the Kimber Warrior I legally CCW, I have a Glock 29 (10mm, with 3 mags and a box of 50 rounds), a Henry AR7 with a crap load of rounds). I have a gun cleaning kit as well. The rounds are stowed in a Otter Box. I'd put a real carbine in the truck, but I didn't want to put something too expensive in there.

Packs:
              I carry 3 packs. One loaded and two almost empty except for a few things. The empty ones would hold any extra gear we'd need if there were more then one other person with me.
              Contents of kids packs: MRE, tarp, fire kit, pocket knife, water bladders, water tabs, small first aid kit, picture of family, book, whistle

Kids Packs:

My pack:

What's inside:
              Outerpocks to inner compartment-- sheers, fire kit, my allergy meds, rubber tubing, 2 bandannas, can opener, IOR 10X mono

IOR 10X Mono

Outside pocket:
              Tops 4" fixed blade with kit (fire, sharpener, sewing), saw, 550 cord, bank line.

Main compartment; packed tight

1st kit: fire steel, wet notes, pen, compass, char cloth tin, small first aid kit, tape, flashlight, batteries, zips, pen light, water tabs, Altoids tin with the usual stuff, Advil, tooth brush, ear plugs.

Kit 2:
              head lamp, wood stove, multi tool, tin tuna, back up compass, lens, creams, burn kit, soap, hand sanitizer, bandanna.

Mess kit:
              pot, burner, fuel, SS water container, spice, naps, powered drinks, tin foil, fire kit

wood stove

Water Proof Dry Bag with Rice, beans, powered soaps, MREs

Water Filter (SweetWater) System

Part 3:
              Stuff
              I have a 3 heavy duty tarps with the "space lining", 2 fancy backpacker hammock tarps, and a cheap HD tarp, I also carry a BBQ grate,

I carry several maps, a crank radio, and 2 cheap Cobra walkie talkies

Rounding it out with a 5gal jug of water that rides in the bed of the truck.
              Last edited by Joe Beck; 01-14-2016, 11:21 AM.

Comment

• I think the "taking forever" was a concern, that's what led to getting a model with as big a motor as possible. Cutting up before grinding is required anyway since you want to trim out tough stuff before making sausage.

Once there's something shot & cleaned, and ready to be ground up, I imagine I'll just bulk pack into bags, one pound at a time.

Comment

• Joe nice display of goodies. Is your truck a dodge ram? I have a dodge ram 1500 4x4 and it has the same kind of back seat. I rarely have the back seat down anymore because the flat surface works so well for shopping and I don't have to keep changing the seats. After reading what everyone is carrying in their bags, I need to get mine out and go through it to see what I have and don't have. Since I retired I don't have to worry about getting home from work. The furthest I get from home usually is 25 miles for grocery shopping (Walmart or krogers), so it would take me 2 days to get home so I don't think I would need everything I have in my bag. The main issue I have is that I would have to stick to the main roads because there is only one road that runs to my town and since we are in the mountains of West Virginia there is no way I can go cross country. The road is hilly and twisty enough as it is. One think I do carry in the truck is one of those fold up wagons that's suppose to hold 200 pounds, so if I really needed to I could put some of my stuff in there and pull it along. That might not make me look like a tactical prepper. As soon as I get my bag inventoried I will post it. Not very good at posting pictures.

Clarification on some terms needed please: I am still new to this stuff. What is INCH,LBE & EDC? Thanks

Comment

• [QUOTE=Joe Beck;68865]Ohh boy!!! Cool discussion and pictures guys! Love it. Ok here is my truck. I know there's a ton of stuff in it, but keep in mind, no one knows what, where, why, how or when something bad is going to happen. None can predict who will be with you, or what you will need. So I pack it all If something does happen I'd pick and choose what to bring.

Joe, I am really impressed and envious! Can I come join your party when the SHTF? I thought I was reasonably setup but you have stuff there I never even thought of. Kudos to you!

Comment

• Mickey, here's a really quick explanation :

INCH = I'm Not Coming Home = leaving here with no intention of returning

EDC = Every Day Carry. This is what you keep with you all the time . For some its a pocket knife , for others it might be a pocket knife or two , a CCW weapon & ammo, a flashlight or two and maybe a PSK.

PSK = Personal Survival Kit. Usually a small tin (Altoids, etc) that caries very basic survival gear. Fire makers, fishing line & hooks if in area where it might be helpful , etc.

LBE=Can have 2 meanings . 1) Load Bearing Equipment meant to spread weight more evenly for comfort. 2)A style of military pack.

I hope this helps , and if I got anything wrong , I'm sure I will soon be corrected .
                      Defund the Media !!

Comment

• Love your AR-7 Joe, I have one of my own. Dad probably thought he bought it for himself, but it's been "my rifle" since I could say "gun."

Best of all, it's in the so-rare brown swirl coloring, and in better shape than I am! (Thin tab unbroken, plastic screw just fine, all original parts & paperwork, plus a couple more magazines.) I just love it too much to keep it in a vehicle, so I might have to get a few more in modern makes to use that way.

Comment

• Thanks for all pictures Joe, you've given me a few ideas. You've really got things covered. Gotta love those undocumented features you find on things.

I have the Ram 1500 crew cab. It has a fold out platform (which I cannot find in mentioned in the manual) that makes for a nice flat surface for the dogs to ride on plus its very convenient for trips to the grocery. In addition to the space under and behind the seat it has compartments under the floor that can hold all kinds of goodies. The doors for those are out of sight under the mats.

Comment

• You make me envious with the Blackbird. I have just made the switch to hammocks fairly recently. I would love to try one of these in a left lay.

Comment

• Thanks Kickstand, that cleared up a lot. I may have other questions for clarification as I continue reading posts when people start spouting alphabet soup.

Comment

• Oh thanks guys, My truck is a 2009 F150-- and no it didn't come with a dog or a pair or walking shoes. It's been a good truck ( I replaced the transmission oil seal once and one other stupid thing (plastic cover for the electronics) on the transmission, but that's it. As far as gear goes I just stuck to the 10C's of survival and tried to include something from each part, knowing that I could always down size to the minimum 5c's.

I taken countless things out, replaced it wither other stuff. I've used the kit often on "mock" runs. I've found that I can get by with alot less, I've gotten the pack down to about 30lbs. I've also taken out most of the MRE's and replaced them with rice and beans, canned meat, soups, noodles, I just can't eat MRE's anymore. I guess my taste-buds have changed since I served. I can't stomach them anymore. Plus both my boys are allergic to MEAT (can you believe that shat!). So I had to change everything out.

We went shooting off Hodge road and went way out there. My ignition switch went out and we had to "bug in" the truck for the night. It was a Saturday when it happened, I thought it would be a great opportunity to test everything out. My buddy and I spent the weekend out there with just the stuff I had int the truck before hiking out to the road where we could call AAA. We were perfectly comfortable. Not lacking for anything. This last winter I got stuck in Big Bear, when the road washed out. Instead of driving all the way around I tested the gear again for the weekend. I camped out in Barton Flats National Forest with just the gear I had. It was wet out, but I wasn't uncomfortable.

Not not saying this is a great kit, or I'm Grizzly Adams, or anything other then the Average Joe, but this kit works for me in the area I live in.
                                Some people will be like: That's too much stuff. I know it is. The the same people that say that are the people that live for the "survivalist" lifestyle. They hone their skills and replace gadgets with knowledge. That's great!!! That's what everyone should strive for. But that's not where I'm at, that's not where my skill set is. I'm just an average dude with some bushcraft skills, some backpacking skills, ect. You know what they say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing. My point is I can carry this stuff in the truck and it wont effect me one bit, it's out of the way, it doesn't take up any space that I would otherwise need, so why not carry it. What it's going to reduce my gas guzzler from 20mpg to 19.5mpg? Meh. If something bad happens and I have to bail right then... I grab the Eagle bag and go. It has the 5 C's in it and it will do if I am willing to do.

Thanks for your time, and I'd love to see your kits. I learn something from each person that post here. Thanks again.
                                Last edited by Joe Beck; 01-17-2016, 11:55 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X