No announcement yet.

What's in Your Bug-Out Bag? Contest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bleach treatment of water is pretty easy, but I know it doesn't take as much as Im reading in your post. Clear water gets 2 drops per quart, cloudy water gets 4 drops per quart, 15 minutes kills all the bugs.

The most you need for 4 bladders is 24 drops if the water is clear, and that's heavy doses
    Owner of the quietsurvivalist.com

Comment

• Please be careful with algae. Most are harmless, but certain blooms are deadly. More of a wetter, warm area issue than desert type area issue.

Bleach is ok, but if you have cloudy water, it is still cloudy, and tastes like mud. I really like these sawyer filters. Effective, cheap, and durable. Very light weight as well. No real moving parts to break.

I still like my hiker pro, but it has been put aside in any instance that I am carrying a pack. Iodine is still effective as well and has a longer shelf life than bleach. It does leave a funky flavor though.

Edit: don't forget crypto and some others are not affected by bleach or chlorine

Comment

• Originally posted by PLA View Post
        Ok I have to ask about the Tablets to make bleach because Im really wondering why you are carrying a method to make a full gallon of bleach?

Are you planning on carrying a gallon of bleach? Or dumping after using a few drops? Or decontaminating after a chemical attack? And are you carrying a separate container to mix the bleach in?

Sorry I don't get that bleach tablet thing in a bag you intend to carry
        I have scored the tablets in quarters so that I can make as little as a quart at a time and then dilute that further if I need to. The idea is to NOT carry it in a liquid state but to make it up as the need arises. I have utilized this method when camping and it works well for general disinfecting.

Comment

• Originally posted by Boston_Joe View Post
          From the Clorox site in reply to a question about the shelf life of liquid bleach.

"The active ingredient in bleach, sodium hypochlorite, naturally breaks down into salt and water. The rate of breakdown increases rapidly when bleach is stored in extreme hot or freezing temperatures, or when a bottle is more than one year old. Generally, bleach stored at room temperature (~70°F) has a shelf life of one year, but after that point it should be replaced.
          Read more at https://www.clorox.com/dr-laundry/shelf-life/#U2dRf88pQZ8EvVFz.99"
          Ever pick up a bottle of liquid bleach for kitchen and laundry use, but the bottles at the store are all covered with dust? Might not happen everywhere, but I see it all the time.
          quam minimum credula postero

Comment

• Wow, just caught up with all the bleach discussion. A few more words on my "system". First, for my drinking water I have my Berkey travel bottle and 3 -1 liter Survival water bags. Accessing water supplies in this part of the country is not difficult - making sure it is safe is the problem. The water that I treat with bleach is for cleaning things (including me!). I also carry a bottle of water tx tablets. We have at our cache sites additional stores (15 gallons).

Comment

• Originally posted by kickstand View Post
              Looks good on this end Joyce.
              Seems to be just fine now. I'm having another problem maybe you or someone else can help me with. I have my inventory of my BOB & medical bag saved on a word file but I don't know how to upload it here. I can't cut & paste because I have it saved to my tablet (as my PC took the deep sleep last week). I could send it as a link in an email but I have no idea how to send that to this forum. I'm a good wife, a loyal friend and a damn good nurse but I am not so adept when it comes to computers. Help!

Comment

• Did you note any error codes or coded lights on the system case of the computer that went down? It's pretty normal for something to seem like a complete disaster, but not really be one.

Comment

• Originally posted by Joyce Hoffman-Gayley View Post
                  Seems to be just fine now. I'm having another problem maybe you or someone else can help me with. I have my inventory of my BOB & medical bag saved on a word file but I don't know how to upload it here. I can't cut & paste because I have it saved to my tablet (as my PC took the deep sleep last week). I could send it as a link in an email but I have no idea how to send that to this forum. I'm a good wife, a loyal friend and a damn good nurse but I am not so adept when it comes to computers. Help!
                  Copy and paste it into notepad, then copy and paste that into your post. I run a program called Notepad++ which is really more of a programmers tool, but it's a heck of a handy program and ad free open source software.

Comment

• Ditto the recommendation on Notepad; even on a tablet you should be able to copy/paste though. Caveat to that is that it is truly a pain, without keyboard shortcuts and the ability to control/shift+click. Apple doesn't have anything like that though.

Redman, I hear ya on the dry bags for certain gear. If the seal on a ziploc gets dust or crumbs on it, many times they don't seal completely.

Comment

• There are some types of files that will not let you copy,cut or paste when working on a tablet. Not sure why that is, but I have the same issue at times.

Tex
                      = 2
                      sigpic

If we cannot define a simple word like greatness, how can we ever hope to use it as a measuring stick to know when we have risen beyond average?

Comment

• [QUOTE=Tex;67729]There are some types of files that will not let you copy,cut or paste when working on a tablet. Not sure why that is, but I have the same issue at times.

Thanks to all for help & hints about solving my computer problems - I've given them to my Hub. He's the IT man (she said laughingly) in our family, I'll let him figure it out.
                        I've decided instead of posting my BOB contents (as if I could!), I'm going to start a new thread about what y'all have in your bags in the way of medical supplies. I'll post mine and let's see where we go from there. I'll get this going on the main forum page.

Comment

• Dang, I'll have to figure out what all that stuff is - besides gauze, duct tape, and super glue, I usually have a sawyer extractor (that's for stings and bites, not water.)

Comment

• I had a small windfall and decided to get a few things to really get started on my GHBs. The UPS guy is going to hate me. But Amazon loves me, so theres that. I knocked a bunch of stuff off my list. Going to pick up a bunch more locally then get to work actually putting the stuff in the bags.

I'll post some picks soon.

Comment

• Boston_Joe, remember to keep your OPSEC in mind. Try and divvy up the way you have things delivered, so you don't leave too much of an impression with the delivery guys. You don't really want to stick out to the UPS or FedEx guys for having a bunch of survival type stuff show up all at once. And not all of those guys are honest. A bunch of orders showing up in a very short timeframe may stick out to them and they could pass that information on.

Ask Kelly about nosey mail and delivery people.

If things do go south, you don't want to be the person everyone else thinks of when they are running out of things.

Just looking out for you, pardner.

Tex
                              = 2
                              sigpic

If we cannot define a simple word like greatness, how can we ever hope to use it as a measuring stick to know when we have risen beyond average?

Comment

• I appreciate the reminder Tex. I get things delivered and ship outbound on a regular basis for work as well as get stuff for the house that isn't prep related, so it isn't all that out of the ordinary. I usually meet him in the driveway so he never gets near the house. For this order I had them do it in as few shipments as possible even if it means waiting on a back orderd item. My place runs almost the entire side of a cul-de-sac and only have 3 other neighbors. No prying eyes in general seeing packages being dropped at my house.

If they really want to come and try and take my wife's new sewing machine(delivered yesterday) they will be met with stiff resistance.

Comment

Working...
                                X