No announcement yet.

What's in Your Bug-Out Bag? Contest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry, kickstand, I don't have a valid link. The label on the bottle of EZBLEACH has the url www.clearon.com, but when I went to that site I couldn't find ANYTHING about the product there. Originally I had seen the EZBLEACH in my local Walmart and realizing it was a good thing I bought the last three bottles they had. When I went back for more they had a different brand called Evolve, but has fragrance and ingredients I don't want. Wish I could give you more info, if I find out anything else, I'll post it here.

Comment

Thanks for trying . That's the same info I was finding .
      Defund the Media !!

Comment

My first post here, so I hope you'll bear with me while I try to figure out the tech aspects of this forum. Thought I'd start with a tip as I'm not prepared with GHB pics... Most of us carry a mini BIC lighter or two in our gear. I suggest protecting at least one from accidental actuation which leaves you with nothing more than a poor quality sparking device. Here's how - Affix a 4" cable tie under the actuator and around the lighter, zipping it fairly tight, but not horsing it down. It will prevent accidental actuation, however, if applied as shown it will slide off with good upward thumb pressure to the ziplock...bic2.jpg

Comment

Excellent tip Sgt.

Comment

Guys just my take on the whole issue and especially new preppers who don't feel like they are starting over after doing this a while

Start with your pants and belt

What do you have in your pockets, and on your belt every day.

Then go to your jacket ( or Smock)- this will get you out to 20-30 miles in 24 hours

Then you find a pack ( sweet god please make a choice, its a pack not a religion) and fill in the layers if you think you need more than what you have on you.

My goal is to carry absolutely nothing more than I have too

I'm 48, I bet there are more here who are older than younger , and are you REALLY believing you are going to carry 60lbs of gear over any distance?
            Owner of the quietsurvivalist.com

Comment

Originally posted by kickstand View Post
              Thanks for trying . That's the same info I was finding .
              I found this on another board after a Google search. http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/...?topic=30149.0

I also saw that hey still offer the unscented tablets but no stock near me. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Clearon-Bl...64-oz/27457178

It looks like calcium hypochlorite tablets would be a better way to go though. They are proven to work for drinking water provided you get the dose right and they are readily available at pool supply retailers.

Comment

A solution to your bleach tab problems guys

A dropper bottle and real bleach works great

Put it in a used medicine bottle so if it leaks you aren't totally screwed

2 drops per quart for clear water, 4 if cloudy.

Its fun to collect the odd things, but really a basic kit can be made from the house and the dollar store

Comment

LMBO... My get home bag weighs in at around 25lbs and that's about as high as I'm willing to go. Old knees and back stay limber that way. Anything more and I'd be toast in a day or two...

Comment

Exactly Mike

You must be an ex 11 series, so am I

Comment

Good advice. I guess I disagree a little on the pack. I know it is not a religion, but it needs to fit if you are serious about using it. Most everything I have does double duty. I can not afford too much redundancy. My pack may get unloaded for a weekender trip. The water filter has to be pulled from one place to another for that trip as does much of my gear.

What I found when trying to find a pack for a bob/ghb was that I could not make 10 miles with 30 lbs with an alice. It hurt badly! On the other hand, an ilbe or my gregory which I use for regular backpacking was 45 lbs and 17 miles a day in the Georgia mountains with no issues other than my conditioning. It was the same way with my old peak one pack from scouts. I carried that on a recommendation of the store. I did not know that backpacking did not have to be painful back then. Then I tried an external frame kelty and fell in love with backpacking again. If I could get parts for it, I would still be carrying it.

Also, as someone that led kids, dont try to skimp too much on price. The number of bargain bags we had to repair for others while on the trail was ridiculous. The last thing you want is some cheap chinamart pack going to pieces with a long hike home. This is not a pleasure hike, but one you have to make.

With that in mind, I would suggest people use the bag as it is designed a few times. A shakedown run helps sort what you need and dont. What will work and wont. What will likely break and hold together.
                      Anyway, moral of the story is find something you can carry if you have to, make sure it is quality enough you can really depend on it.

I have and use some milsurplus gear. If I am throwing it in the vehicle, it is great. For the most part, if I expect to carry a pack, it stays home. The stuff is incredibly durable, but it is heavy and bulky. 11 lbs for a winter bag? The poncho liner weighs more than a three season down bag of only medium quality, and the bag will be warmer. The canteens suprised me, I had no idea the new plastic ones were so heavy. One weighs more than two of my nalgenes. The cup and stove and the nesting arrangements are sure nice though. I am not a gram weenie or an ultra light packer, but my age and a knee surgery make it necessary to be practical.

Comment

Btw, anyone needs bottles, let me know. 2 and 4 oz I know I have. No droppers, but they are new and seal well. I have never had issues with them in my pack.

Comment

Originally posted by PLA View Post
                          Exactly Mike

You must be an ex 11 series, so am I
                          +1 grunt + former upstate NY transplant
                          Last edited by unseenone; 12-13-2015, 10:44 AM.

Comment

Sorry guys - no military here other than my son (US Navy PO1st) and my grandson (US Army Airborne Ranger 2/75). My "Sgt" comes from 25+ in law enforcement...

Comment

Well, all I'll say right now, is that hubs & I intended to leave here by vehicle - either boat or truck. So, both bags were covered in waterproof boxes. They're small duffles - and I pack for the apocalypse or an extended safari to Timbucktu. I went a little heavy on the first aid and home remedy stuff. Immodium and Xlax and ibuprofen... and bandaids/ace bandages, etc.

I also split up some items between us and doubled up on some others.

The bags themselves were able to be carried backpack style, if we found ourselves on foot somewhere. The most likely occurance for a bug out situation for us, was hurricane evac. So waterproof everything and vacumn sealed packs of supplies, with additional ziplock bags to hold opened packs.

No, there's no kitchen sink in that mess - but it wasn't for lack of looking for one. LOL.

We've had camping gear packed & ready to toss in the truck (has a bed cap) since 9/11. That's where the kitchen sink is.

Comment

That's good enough for me...

Comment

Working...
                                X