Mt. Kilimanjaro Climb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Racksheets View Post
    The freeze dried food is a good idea. He's got a wild hair about having us make a fruit cake slice it up and vacuum seal it each piece. I'm like yuck but ok if that's what you want! He's good with a compass and maps he was in the service years ago. The blister kits is something I'll look into for him also the benzoine. I want him coming home the same way he left just with positive stories.
    I think my husband joined REI this afternoon after your advice to go there.
    Wilderness medicine classes, that's intriguing I bought a book a couple of weeks ago about plant use for healing. I'll have to check into classes cause I'd like to attend with him.
    Thanks again
    Let me straighten you out on that one. Fruit cake has the same consistency as C4, and it will not be a pleasant experience flying with it. Scratch that off your list. They should be able to pick up plenty of Biltong, basically beef jerky there I would guess. Keep in mind the freeze dried food doesn't have the calories a military MRE does, and I would assume they will have guides, and have been provided a recommended list. It's good to refer to locals when possible, they know the realities on the ground. A small gift(s) from the US might be nice to have if the right situation arises. Doesn't need to be expensive, just genuine US, Armadillo drops (chocolate ) http://armadillo-candy-company.myshopify.com/ are being brought over there by my friends at an alarming rate for example. Lots of people have kids, the lolipops with scorpions http://www.candyfavorites.com/candy-...Fabm7AodgW4AYg in them are also a big hit. Or something along those lines local to your area that perhaps that won't offend a Muslim, whatever that might be.

The guys should consider a direct flight from Atlanta to Johannesburg, and maybe a shorter flight there from there. That will cut the travel time almost in half which is the worst part of it. It's at least worth looking into it. Delta is the only airline to offer a direct flight, round trips can be had in the 1300 range if planned ahead of time. Then a flight from there to their final destination. Just a thought.

The currency exchange is 1.00 to 1,683 TZS Shillings, so expect a lot of buying power, and wheel barrel of change.

Perhaps beards will help hide the white, and blend in a little more..

Here's a neat BLOG like GB's perhaps some information can be gained from there as well. http://weloveafrica.wordpress.com/

For example;
    1. Anywhere north of Zambia means you cannot drink water straight out of the tap? And so all drinking water needs to be boiled (uses a lot of gas and takes a long time to cool down to drinking temperature), treated with chlorine tablets (tastes a bit like chlorine) or bought in a bottle (not great for the environment and costly)
    Last edited by unseenone; 06-22-2014, 08:43 PM.

Comment

AD, I get those on Amazon too.
      quam minimum credula postero

Comment

That scorpion lollipop is gross! But it might be better than fruit cake! Biltong I think that someone on here or FB talked about that before and said it was really good. Is it spicy or flavorful?
        The water situation worries him so he's taking tablets and filters with him. I'll have him check out the blog.
        Thanks some more

Comment

There's nothing like a Katadyn Pocket, but probably heavy for climbing.. http://www.katadyn.com/usen/katadyn-...adyn-pocket-1/

The Scorpion lollipops are a huge hit with kids.. they love to hate them.. 100% edible, and safe. They were a hit in South Africa with the kids.
          Last edited by unseenone; 06-24-2014, 09:04 PM.

Comment

Well Racks

Get him on here and let us keep up with the updates on his trip.

Comment

RS, I don't have much more to offer to the advice you're already getting except to contact the embassy when they arrive, leave their itinerary with them and when they expect to return. If something happens at least they know they're in country. Adding to what Un said, never underestimate the value of a well placed gift. And travel insurance, there are some, albeit costlier that will get him out of where ever as a result of whatever, might be worth it, just make sure it's a reputable firm and that it well transport him to a western hospital.
              I'm drunk tonith.

Comment

He's kept up to date with all this great advice everyone been giving. He's been walking in his new hiking boots to get them broke in. Yesterday he walked 12 miles in +90 degree temps with a small pack on. I promise when he goes and there will be pictures and stories. He's very excited about the trip, me not so much:/

Comment

Boots he got at REI?

If so, how did he like the store and people?
                  Last edited by AD; 07-04-2014, 09:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by AD View Post
                    Boots he got at REI?

If so, how did he like the store and people?
                    He got some boots at REI and he's really enjoying them. He's been doing lots of walking in them and hasn't had a bit of trouble with rubbing or blisters. I can't remember the name of them though I think they start with a V . ( I'm a lot of help here!) the store was cool he also bought a new backpack a few small things. They were really nice and very helpful. Thanks for recommending it.

He's been doing more research on the trip and is getting pretty excited. I watched a few youtube videos on it and I'm kinda feeling a little better about the trip. It's not something I would enjoy but people seem to really like the trip.
                    He's trying to organize his bag so that he can start practicing carrying the weight while he hikes around the area. It's pretty flat in most places in Texas but we are lucky to be in Hill Counrty, The elevation is still low though.

Comment

Good to hear he went to REI. Although they are the Grape Nuts, hairy legs and burkenstocks they are very knowledgable about the out doors. He should attend some of those classes they are holding.

Comment

EDIT: Never mind, Altitude was covered.

Tell him good luck! This will be an amazing experience.
                        Last edited by redman2006; 07-12-2014, 08:09 AM.

Comment

He'll have a blast, the photos will be great.
                          quam minimum credula postero

Comment

Well how did the climb go?????

Comment

Working...
                            X