X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kickstand
    replied
    Originally posted by Boston_Joe View Post
    I'd love to head out west for a trip. The only thing keeping me from doing it is all these pets.
    Although on a much smaller scale, we're in the same boat. 3 dogs and a cat make vacations a near impossibility, at least together. Lately we've each been seeing family, she hers, and in July, me mine. They're on opposite sides of the country. Damn critters.

Leave a comment:

• hsehntr98
    replied
    Same here Joe. If it wasn't for the 70 birds, 5 dogs and 10 cats I could take a small vacation too.

Leave a comment:

• Boston_Joe
    replied
    I'd love to head out west for a trip. The only thing keeping me from doing it is all these pets.

Leave a comment:

• W.Lynn
    replied
    Dang Joe, y'all need a Texas vacation, and drop me off a crate of those pets.

Leave a comment:

• kickstand
    replied
    I understand, no judgment here.

Leave a comment:

• Boston_Joe
    replied
    Nope, but I do love roast duck. Unfortunately Mrs Joe made me promise that we would let our birds die of natural causes. I've grudgingly lived up to my end of the deal and we've sold off our surplus birds. I don't ask any too many questions about their new homes.

Leave a comment:

• kickstand
    replied
    Serious question Joe: will you be putting the extras in the freezer?

Leave a comment:

• Boston_Joe
    replied
    We've got some overachieving ducks. First a mallard who hatched 12 of 15 about 4 weeks ago. They'll be mixed as we no longer have any Mallard Drakes. Everyone survived and they are now running around as part of the flock. The second as a pair of coparenting hens (a Cayoga and a Buff). They shared a nest and have batted 16 out of 19. This adds 30 new ducks to our previous flock.

I see an inventory reduction sale in my future.

Oh we had another Mallard Hen hatch a chick. Most likely from an Americana. She had 4 other eggs in her nest but lost them to a snake. I had checked on her at noon and all was good. When I went out she was out at one of the mini ponds in a panic. I checked the nest and the eggs were gone as well as the chick. I was ready to caulk it all up as a loss when I heard a loud chirp. Mrs Joe and I started looking around the 1/2acre wooded area where the nest was. After about an hour of moving and listening we finally caught sight of him. It took us a few minutes to pinpoint him/her. The Mallard hen and chick are together in a brooder box until next weekend or so.
    Last edited by Boston_Joe; 05-25-2018, 06:32 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Sacajawea
    replied
    Here's how to control, out of control chickens... the one that got away, however, probably has close ties to a certain Michigan gang of Thug chickens...

A group of roosters have been captured in New Zealand after animal rescue staffers got them drunk on whiskey, local media reports.

Leave a comment:

• W.Lynn
    replied
    Nice. Got a friend with some barred rocks - they're a little more outgoing than the rest of her hens, I like them - and their eggs.

Leave a comment:

• RD
    replied
    barred rock and speckled sussex.

RD

Leave a comment:

• Boston_Joe
    replied
    What breed are they?

Our last batch of chicks are already out with the main flock. We have some 3 weeks old ducks in the brooder area of the coop who are raring to go.

Leave a comment:

• hsehntr98
    replied
    They are cute RD. Mine will be here in June.

Leave a comment:

• RD
    replied
    Gwyns new chicken nuggets. )

RD

20160514_172539.jpg

20160514_180233.jpg

20160514_180241.jpg

Leave a comment:

• hsehntr98
    replied
    The white rooster and the red hen you see in the picture are currently in the guest cottage.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X