Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hsehntr98
    replied
    Joyce I was a surgical technician for 40 yrs. As far as my chickens, I have 2 roosters ( a lite Brahma & a White Star, at least that is what the guy called it who gave it to me) and 4 hens ( lite Brahma, 2 white rocks, & a red rock). I got them on Jan.1, 2016 and on Saturday I had my one and only egg. I know this is not the time of year for them to lay, but it was great to get at least one. Is it normal for roosters to stand on one leg a lot? I think my white star may have injured his leg because he stands on his right most of the time and when he does put his left down to walk, it looks like he is limping. If my husband had his way we would have went to North Carolina also. He was in the Coast Guard and was stationed in Wilmington and he would have liked to gone there, but I don't like hurricanes. I am looking to order some chicks for this spring and I was thinking, Buff Orpingtons, Black Australorps, Delaware, & Barred Rocks. Do you think that is a good selection of females?

Leave a comment:

• Chickens and all things fowl..........

Posts moved here to get a chicken thread started-

Oh, I'm your "chicken lady". I've raised them most of my life- I guess since I was about 8 yrs. old. I got two chicks for Easter from our local egg farm. Unfortunately those two ended up being the stars of a mid-summer B-B-Q. Those I've had since then have faired somewhat better. BTW, what kind of chickens do you have? I'm partial to Rhode Island Reds, I know they're not the "in" chickens right now but they lay well and I just think those brown eggs taste better. I am so jealous of you being in your "homeplace". Chuck (my husband) and I are marking time here in New Jersey until he can retire in about 18 months. Then we're moving permanently to a nice little place we have in the mountains of western North Carolina. I can't wait!!! You'll be pleasantly surprised at the number of people here who have a medical background. For instance, I'm an RN. As you can tell you're not the only one who has a tendency to "run off at the mouth". Hub says it's a chronic condition with me!
    Last edited by Tex; 01-09-2016, 09:47 PM.
Working...
X