No announcement yet.

Chickens and all things fowl..........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joyce I bought porch and floor paint today for the coop and hardware cloth for the windows and it really wasn't that expensive. And boards to make roosts and to section off an area for the chicks. So if the weather cooperates I should be able to get a lot of it done this weekend.

Comment

• What did you buy for them to roost on?

Tex
      = 2
      sigpic

If we cannot define a simple word like greatness, how can we ever hope to use it as a measuring stick to know when we have risen beyond average?

Comment

• Sounds like you've got a few things to get done. I had for years used a 2x4 for my girls to roost but a couple years ago I replaced it with a branch from one of our hickory trees that came down during hurricane Sandy. They seem to like it.

Comment

• Sorry had to take care of a small disaster in the kitchen. I love my husband, I love my husband, I love my husband - there now I feel better.

Anyway, this branch is really more like three branches. It's in the shape of a Y. I have it turned on it's side so they can walk up and down on it until they find just the right spot. I've been thinking of adding another piece or two when I get my new chicks. There's plenty room if I kinda offset them. I don't want everybody pooping on each others head. Lol

Comment

• Joyce & Tex, I bought 2x4's and 1x3's that are like what is in my smaller coop. Depending on where they will fit best determines what I will use. Also bought today1/2 x 1 galvanized cage wire to put around the base of the coop instead of chicken wire. Now I just have to figure out how to enclose an area when they come out of the coop. Because the coop sits up off the ground it is 12' from top of door frame to ground. any suggestions on how to close in the area? I would like to be able to open the door to get in to feed and clean, and put a net of some sort over the top to keep everyone safe.

Comment

• They like something to grip. You may find old broom handles, shovel handles, dowel rods, and closet rod to work well. 2x4 tends to be a little thick. That cheap 1x2 furing strip works great as it has a round edge to it as well.

Comment

• Mickey, are you planning on creating a fenced in area around your coop or do you just want to close in the area under it? I remember you saying you wanted the girls to free range so I'm a little confused about what you have in mind. I can't say one way or the other on netting as I have never used it.
                What we have essentially is a big ole wire cage that is attached to our coop. It's about 6' tall so I can stand up and walk around in it. I don't remember if I mentioned it but our coop is also elevated. It's kinda up on pressure treated 4 X 4's. This area is not technically part of the cage but it is enclosed as well and the girls have access to it. The cage itself is roughly 12' X 20'. It's made of 1/2" X 1/2" 16 gauge hardware cloth with fence poles 4' apart to which the wire is attached with heavy-duty staples. It has a locking door. The fencing is buried about 6" all around the perimeter and there is an apron about 12" wide of river rock on top of landscape cloth to discourage digging (so far, so good). I have a tarp that I put over part of it in the summer so there is some shade. We put a couple sections of tree trunks about 18" high in there and a swing for the girls to play on. Well, not really play, they just kinda sit there looking around. Having a wire "ceiling" is convenient when I want to hang one of their treat cages. You know the ones that I mentioned I put veggies & fruit in. I don't know if any of this is of any interest to you but I hope it might give you a couple ideas of things you can do. I'm going to have to take some pics and post them after the weather gets a bit warmer and everything isn't a muddy mess, which it is right now with all the melting snow.

Comment

• Joyce that would help to have pictures. I need to make a fenced in area for right now until spring when I expand the garden and connect the two areas for them to roam. Joyce if you look at the fenced in area in the middle of the picture, that is our garden area. From the post on the right I am planning on expanding the garden straight towards that back fence which you can't see and that is where the coop sits. If I extend the garden 28' and the run for the chickens is 12' then I have approximately 10-20 feet that needs to be closed off so chickens can have free range room and keep the dogs out. At the back left corner there is a grape arbor attached to the garden and from that corner straight over to the fence will enclose probably a 1/4 of the yard. So until I can get those expansions done, I need an enclosure for them now.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by hsehntr98; 02-19-2016, 11:12 PM.

Comment

• MIckey your "spread" is just beautiful! Nice and open and sunny I'm sure in the summer time. How much land do you have?

Is there anyway you can run some fencing from the coop to the back of your garden fence? At least that would give them an area to be out in until you get the larger area done. Then maybe you could put the netting over the top to keep the Hawks and such out. Not the most elegant solution but effective, I think.

Comment

• Joyce as you look behind the deer you will see a gate, the coop is to the right of the gate. So if you can picture a fence between the coop and the garden that is where I plan to put it. As soon as the ground thaws a little I will get it put up.
                      Attached Files

Comment

• I know that some of you have Guineas and was wondering how well they get along with chickens. We're thinking of getting some and they seem to be quite popular in this area.

I'm also wondering if folks have a favorite hatchery that they order from. My wife likes the heritage breeds(specifically the Wyandotts and Wellsummers at the moment) and has started to look around online for a source and has found several. As with anything I'm sure that people have had a range of experiences with some of these vendors.

Comment

• https://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com I have ordered several times from this hatchery and always was pleased. TK

Comment

• I use the same as tk. I have been very pleased. Guineas are very different birds from a chicken. They don't really "get along" as they don't really interact, at least not in my experience.

Those are more like a wild bird than a domestic chicken

Comment

• Hey Joe.

I've had good chicks from Mcmurray as well. Never did mix in Guineas though.

Comment

• For all of you that have bought from McMurray, have your chicks come already vaccinated?

Comment

Working...
                                X