No announcement yet.

chickens/rooster intro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maybe, a gradual cut back on the feed, so it isn't so noticeable?

EDIT: Yeah, what TEX said....
    Dode

Comment

So our lows have been in the upper 30s to low 40s. we have had 3 or 4 nights all winter in the 20s They do not have a heat lamp, but the coop stays warm with so many in it. the water has not even frozen on the coldest nights.

I have 2 feeders for them. They have a dirt pen with as much gravel and rock as dirt. (Welcome to NW Georgia). They also have a pan of oyster shell. They are under a light which goes off at 10pm, so they are really producing. I average 24 eggs from 26 hens. (Need eggs? I will mail you some) I can throw out feed in the pen when not raining to make them forage a little, but I have not done that much recently due to rain.

When I put 10 lbs of feed out every morning, I get attacked when I go in at night. There is no evidence of feather picking or any other problems now.

Comment

If you are getting 24 eggs a day from 26 hens this time of year, SHUT UP and keep feeding the damn things.

I think you were just trying to brag.

Tex
        = 2
        sigpic

If we cannot define a simple word like greatness, how can we ever hope to use it as a measuring stick to know when we have risen beyond average?

Comment

LOL It is the light that makes that happen. No bragging, but they are good layers so far.

Comment

Nutrition plays a role as well.
            They have to have light as well as feed.
            In nature the two go hand in hand and winter is when most animals go dormant or slow up production.

Your hens don't have the bugs and littler critters to eat like they do in the warm months, so they are making up for that by eating the half pound of feed you are pouring out. Couple that with the artificial light and you are blessed with summertime egg production.

Didn't they teach you any of this in vet school?

Tex
            = 2
            sigpic

If we cannot define a simple word like greatness, how can we ever hope to use it as a measuring stick to know when we have risen beyond average?

Comment

I would probably back off just a tad from that 1/2lb/day though. Too much can be just as unhealthy.
              And hens do need a break. Cranking out maximum production will shorten their overall productive lifespan.

Tex
              = 2
              sigpic

Comment

In the fall I don't put a light on them until they go to nearly zero on production. I stop the light the first of March and they go to nearly zero for a short while then too.

Comment

Very little time is spent on poultry. I took some courses and know the basics That is why they have a light and decent feed. That is also why I know better than to let them get too fat, and that they are eating far more than they really should. They act like they are starved, so that is what I am trying to figure out. Should I feed like the commercial guys and use measured weights, or should I continue to free feed as I have in the past with other flocks?

this group is just making pigs of themselves.

EDIT: I do not do a forced molt like a lot of people. Even when the production drops, I have always allowed free feed rather than the suggested 30% weight loss. It has always worked for me in the past. Also, these are less than a year old. They started to lay this September and just got to full production before the days got too short. I let them go to nearly zero before putting the light on them in November.

Comment

24 eggs per day! Wow...Lucky you!

Have you tried preserving eggs yet? I made a post about somewhere in this thread but cannot locate it. Here's a link; not sure it's the same one I posted before, but it looks familiar:

Preserving eggs in the refrigerator for 9 months is unfathomable to most people, let alone safely preserving eggs that long without refrigeration. But today I’ll make crystal clear how you can preserve eggs worry-free without compromising your health and taste standards and perhaps I’ll even shed some light on how you came to believe that eggs can only be preserved in a refrigerator. I assure you that Kellene has not lost her mind; I’m not some maniacal bad guy accompanied by the theme music from Jaws as I write this.

How about freezing or dehydrating?

Enjoy the bounty!
                    Kelly

Comment

I have tried freezing them. We have a freezer full. We scramble them and freeze them in ice trays then ziplock bag them. One cube is an egg. They work ok for cooking and can be used for scrambled eggs. You have to add a little water back to them. They seem to thicken after freezing. It may be that some of the moisture sublimes.

As to dehydrating. I can't get that right. I have yet to find a way to make them palatable.

EDIT: we have pickled eggs in the refrigerator, but would ove to find a way to safely can them for long term storage.

Any other ideas?

Egg salad, omelets, fried eggs, egg sandwiches, custard pies, boiled eggs, 3 minute eggs, quiche, egg and sausage grit casserole, even real egg nog this Christmas. We are running out of egg recipies.

Even my neighbors told me not to keep coming around if I am bringing eggs. LOL

Comment

I just talked to resident chicken expert about this. The Hostile Native is considerably more knowledgeable about poultry than I ever even hope to be. She pretty much said to enjoy the high production. Or, you can set the timer on the light to give them a little less "daylight" and you can also back off their feed some, but you will lose some production.

Tex
                        = 2
                        sigpic

Comment

Tell her thanks. I would like to tone down the feed bill, and I want to make sure they are not so fat I have issues with prolapses or fertility.

Comment

Have you considered a parasite? Though since they are plump it seems unlikely....

Comment

I have, but I am not seeing any evidence. I ran a fecal and have gone over them pretty well. I really did not find anything.

Comment

Originally posted by redman2006 View Post
                                I have tried freezing them. We have a freezer full. We scramble them and freeze them in ice trays then ziplock bag them. One cube is an egg. They work ok for cooking and can be used for scrambled eggs. You have to add a little water back to them. They seem to thicken after freezing. It may be that some of the moisture sublimes.

As to dehydrating. I can't get that right. I have yet to find a way to make them palatable.

EDIT: we have pickled eggs in the refrigerator, but would ove to find a way to safely can them for long term storage.

Any other ideas?

Egg salad, omelets, fried eggs, egg sandwiches, custard pies, boiled eggs, 3 minute eggs, quiche, egg and sausage grit casserole, even real egg nog this Christmas. We are running out of egg recipies.

Even my neighbors told me not to keep coming around if I am bringing eggs. LOL
                                Wish you lived closer - I never tire of eggs!

How about cured yolks?
                                Have yolks left from a recipe? Get curing. Don’t want to wait? Cure the yolks and freeze the whites in ice cube trays.

Off top of my head:
                                Avgolemono (Greek Egg, Lemon and Rice Soup)
                                Scotch Eggs (hard boiled eggs, wrapped in sausage, breaded and deep fried)
                                Frittata (Italian version of quiche)
                                Bibimbap (Korean rice bowl with beef, vegetables and fried egg)
                                Croque Madame (French grilled cheese and ham, topped with fried egg and a rich sauce)
                                Deviled Eggs
                                Baked Stuffed French Toast
                                Challah or any other egg-based breads
                                Hard boiled - Slice and add to sandwich wraps - with roast beef, arugula and horseradish mayo is particularly good
                                Another way to use hard boiled: Salad Nicoise, a particular favorite of mine
                                Spanish tortilla (another version of quiche)
                                Spaghetti Carbonara

Dang it...now I'm hungry!!

Kelly

Comment

Working...
                                X