No announcement yet.

RD & Gwyn's In-Town Homestead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ooooh, golf balls. That's perfect as these are brown egg layers. No confusion with ceramic eggs!

I am planning on leaving them in the coop, starting tomorrow. It's supposed to be above 90 degs for the next two days, so want to get the screen thing figured out today so I won't worry about them expiring from not having enough ventilation.
    Pastemistress. Now aka Mimi

Comment

• Sorry, I'm just tickled right now. I'm sure it'll wear off in a few days.

Two more!

Comment

• Whenever we get new birds, we leave them in the coop for a few days. It lets them learn that it's their home. Which it sounds like you are going to do that. After 3-4 days, when you let them out they should go back in at night on their own.
        http://www.nstactical.com For all your prepping, tactical, freeze dried food, first aid, surplus, water filtration, and body armor needs!

Comment

• Four more! So, we're up to 7 for the day and I noticed two hens were in the laying boxes.

Comment

• You are going to need some more egg recipes!!!! We eat a lot of hard boiled eggs, I swear Kid El could eat 3 a day if I let her.

Comment

• I think that you have already surpassed the total number of eggs that we got. Congrats.
              Defund the Media !!

Comment

• When you start getting too many eggs, just crack them into ziplock bags and freeze them. When thawed, pour them into a blender and mix them. Use this for scrambled eggs and baking. You can store the blended eggs in the fridge for a week or so. I did this one year when eggs were 49 cents/dozen and I bought 20 dozen. I've pickled them, too, and used them in salads.

It sounds like your girls are already settling into their new home.
                Dode

Comment

• I see Scotch Eggs in your future, Gwyn & RD!

Kelly

Comment

• I see alot of 'Dutch Ovens' in Gwyn's future.

Tex
                    = 2
                    sigpic

If we cannot define a simple word like greatness, how can we ever hope to use it as a measuring stick to know when we have risen beyond average?

Comment

• Originally posted by Tex View Post
                      I see alot of 'Dutch Ovens' in Gwyn's future.

Tex

Nice, Tex...real nice. I'm sure Gwyn will thank you for putting that idea into RD's head.

Kelly

Comment

• LMAO. As long as they're cast iron or enameled cast iron, I'm good with that. As a matter of fact - anything cast iron would work.

Egg grand total = 10!
                        Unfortunately #8 is cracked. I found #9 & #10 at 4:45pm. Besides the #1 egg, they were laid in nesting boxes. Yippee.

After the "new home" period, is it better to leave them in the coop longer in the morning so that they get their laying done? We did leave the big side doors closed all day to keep it darker and quieter to encourage them to lay. Remarkably it stayed relatively cool, but I know it will heat up with all 10 in there and the ramp door closed. Still trying to figure out the screen. The 94 degree day has kind of scrambled my brain. lol, made a chicken funny.

Had C go out with me this afternoon and do some broadcast feeding. He liked that. He got real excited when we checked and found #8. He wanted to carry it to the house, but I couldn't let him because of the crack.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tex View Post
                          I see alot of 'Dutch Ovens' in Gwyn's future.

Tex
                          LOL Problem is they don't do anything to me, I can drink a 6 pack and eat a dozen eggs and be good. If you figure I eat a couple dozen a week I think I am used to them.

RD
                          Sometimes I wrestle with my demons, other times we just snuggle.

Comment

• Pastemistress. Now aka Mimi

Comment

• Coop bedtime went a little easier tonight. When I went out to start putting them in, two were already in the coop. In the next 5 minutes, three more went in on their own. Few minutes later, #6 went in on her own, but she didn't stay.

So only had to herd &/or catch five. And no, RD did not video as he was being nice and came in the run to help me.

Comment

• I bet that Raven would LOVE to "help".
                                Defund the Media !!

Comment

Working...
                                X