No announcement yet.

RD & Gwyn's In-Town Homestead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That's awesome Gwyn...now I need some!

Comment

• Tex - it's a big reason why you shouldn't use plastics or plastic wrap in the microwave. When that stuff gets heated, it drips/leeches into the food.

It's thought to be one part of why girls nowadays look at age 12 what they used to look like as HS seniors or college age. It's a pseudo-estrogen. Our bodies can't tell the difference and treat/use it like estrogen. Hence it pushes girls into puberty at a much younger age and they develop more quickly.
      Pastemistress. Now aka Mimi

Comment

• Here's an Amazon link dl.

I could do that, but I'd rather get them locally.

Attached Files

Comment

• Exactly in regards to girls Gwyn! And in mice has been shown to affect masculine traits and exposure has been shown to increase the chance of undesended testicles in boys.

Comment

• That explains alot about what I am seeing when out in public these days.

I knew plastic was bad, but didn't know what all it did or what it was called.

Tex
            = 2
            sigpic

If we cannot define a simple word like greatness, how can we ever hope to use it as a measuring stick to know when we have risen beyond average?

Comment

• Yes dl, in boys it restricts/delays puberty - less muscle mass, delayed or diminished whisker/hair growth, and the tendency to put on fat versus muscle.

RD noticed the whisker delay with our boys. He, at 15, had to shave every day. By 16, he could grow a full beard. By 17, to not have a 5 o'clock shadow for an evening date he would have to shave again. The boys had about a 4 year delay on those milestones. Even at 22, C does not have whiskers at full beard coverage - only mustache, chin, and jawline the width of sideburns. And C had early onset of puberty at 9 (due to Autism).

Comment

• And, to be fair, BPA/plastics aren't the only pseudo-estrogen culprit in this mess.

Soy is a major one. Soy itself is not bad. It's the amount and frequency that gets consumed in a typical American processed foods diet. It can be used in so many different forms, that it is in a majority of food products.

A typical "hidden" ingredient is Lecithin (although recently soy lecithin is starting to be differentiated on ingredient labels). Now, lecithin is a useful ingredient and necessary for good brain function. It's most common natural occurrence is eggs. More specifically, egg white. It works as a binder and as an emulsifier. Soy lecithin is cheaper and has a longer shelf life. It's a major component of dough enhancer, which makes commercially produced bread so "soft". I even have some in my pantry as I plan to experiment with a homemade dough enhancer to make wheat bread that is less dense.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gwynmael View Post
                  Yes dl, in boys it restricts/delays puberty - less muscle mass, delayed or diminished whisker/hair growth, and the tendency to put on fat versus muscle.

RD noticed the whisker delay with our boys. He, at 15, had to shave every day. By 16, he could grow a full beard. By 17, to not have a 5 o'clock shadow for an evening date he would have to shave again. The boys had about a 4 year delay on those milestones. Even at 22, C does not have whiskers at full beard coverage - only mustache, chin, and jawline the width of sideburns. And C had early onset of puberty at 9 (due to Autism).
                  mustache at 16 and almost full beard at 17, no 5 oclock shadow due to being light hair color

RD
                  Sometimes I wrestle with my demons, other times we just snuggle.

Comment

• I stand corrected.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tex View Post
                      Gwyn, I am wondering about the same things you are. If they can successfully can it because of higher volume and hotter temps, how much nutrition is actually left in the food once it is canned?

In regards to the little squeeze tubes and plastic tubs of baby food, how can a parent feed that crap and feel like they are doing what is best for their child? I can see throwing leftovers in a tupperware container, but that is usually stuff coming from mom and dad's meal and not food meant for the baby. This sort of stuff just makes me shake my head and wonder what the hell we are doing to our kids.

Tex
                      You have answered most of your own questions - higher processing temps in mass production do destroy more of the nutrients in baby food. That's a large part of the argument for nursing longer, and weaning straight to "real food" that can be steamed, chopped, shredded, pureed, or whatever the age of the baby calls for. Good reason to make sure graters, choppers, and kitchen knives are in the duplicated kitchen tools.
                      Last edited by W.Lynn; 06-22-2015, 06:42 PM. Reason: As to how people can feed that stuff to kids, don't ask me, I never did.
                      quam minimum credula postero

Comment

• Got 10 eggs AGAIN yesterday. That's three days in a row! Yay!

Today we gathered 8. But one of them was nearly double the size of the others! Bet that wasn't real comfortable.

You can also see the pigment variation.

Comment

• Good thing that thing was tapered or you'd have a chicken that sounded like a whistle everytime the wind blows.

Tex
                          = 2
                          sigpic

If we cannot define a simple word like greatness, how can we ever hope to use it as a measuring stick to know when we have risen beyond average?

Comment

• Originally posted by RD View Post
                            mustache at 16 and almost full beard at 17, no 5 oclock shadow due to being light hair color

RD
                            Dang dude, your wife is bragging on what a manly man you are/were, and you went and blew it.
                            Defund the Media !!

Comment

• placeholder note on egg #s (my piece of paper wants to keep floating away in the wind). I'll come back tomorrow and do the figuring and post some pics.

6/24 - 10
                              6/25 - 10
                              6/26 - 9
                              6/27 - 10
                              6/28 - 9
                              6/29 - 10
                              6/30 - 7
                              7/1 - 10
                              7/2 - 10
                              7/3 - 10

Comment

• What are you doing with all of the eggs, Gwyn?

Are you sharing some with your nextdoor neighbors?

Tex
                                = 2
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X