No announcement yet.

RD & Gwyn's In-Town Homestead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A little more rain will take care of that squash for you!

It is probably too big to transplant.
    NICHEVO

Comment

• Yes, indeed, squash takes up a 30"x30" spot. I never plant more than 4; it's all I can deal with. I used to run it through my food processor and bag it up for the freezer. Used the grated stuff for zucchini breads of all kinds through Fall and Winter. One year, I made zucchini jelly in a peach flavor (jello packet) that was pretty awesome. It makes great hot dog relish, too!

Since you have so many squash plants, why not remove some of them, so they won't be overcrowded? That will give the sweet taters a chance. Maybe next year, plant the squash along the fences.
      Dode

Comment

• Heat and humidity was nasty today. Not sure what the heat index got up to, but it is STILL 90 degs at 10pm local!

The chickens seemed to handle it fine, hanging out in the shade under the coop. I did get two tubes of sand (60lbs each) spread under there - to fill in where they've dug down trying to dust bath, give them better material to dust bath with, it'll will also stay cool, and it's also an additional source of grit. Hanging feeder with grit & oyster shell isn't up yet, but have been broadcasting it for them to pick as needed.

Gathered 10 eggs AGAIN today. That's the first time there's been a full 10 eggs two days in a row. Yay!

Pulled and bagged for disposal all the pea plants - they were still "producing" but it looks like the damage they took from the wind/rain allowed powdery mildew and possibly mosaic virus to take hold. Better just to get rid of all that.

Heat got to be too much for me, so didn't get anything done with the squash. I'll try to get that addressed in the morning before the heat settles in again. No pics today, sorry.
        Pastemistress. Now aka Mimi

Comment

• Gwyn, I don't know how well the squash will transplant, but I have research making baby food a lot. And every reliable source on canning says there is no safe way to can pureed vegetables. That they are too dense for consistent heating. They recommend you can chunks then purée them as needed.

Comment

• Thanks dl! Diced or chunks is probably better anyhow as by the time I actually have some to can, Little Miss will likely be to the stage of being able to eat "mashed" versus "pureed". ~~I should have been specifically growing and canning last year while A was still pregnant. Sigh. ~~

Of course that always begs the question --- if there's no safe way to do it, then HOW is it done commercially? I understand that there's specialty commercial equipment and that they can produce higher/more intense temperatures; but still. If, in order to produce commercially canned pureed baby food they have to use higher and more intense temperatures, then just how much actual natural nutrition is left? Do they have to "add" it back in? But then it's not listed on the ingredient list (I've been reading them).

Hmmmmm, does commercially canned pureed baby food have an ingredient exemption from the FDA? And what's the deal with so much of it packaged in the little plastic peel-off tubs and squeeze pouches now? Every time I see those pouches I think "there is NO way you can get it all out of there". And how much plastic exposure are the babies getting nowadays? Oh man, How many parents are innocently popping those plastic tubs in the microwave to heat them up? It makes my head spin and I'm just Mimi now. Where did I leave my tinfoil?

Comment

• How do they can baby food then? I am not discounting what you are saying, DoubleL, I am just curious how Gerber does it. This is something I would have never given any thought to and now I am curious.

Tex
              = 2
              sigpic

If we cannot define a simple word like greatness, how can we ever hope to use it as a measuring stick to know when we have risen beyond average?

Comment

• LOL, we were having the same thoughts Tex.

Comment

• Gwyn, I am wondering about the same things you are. If they can successfully can it because of higher volume and hotter temps, how much nutrition is actually left in the food once it is canned?

In regards to the little squeeze tubes and plastic tubs of baby food, how can a parent feed that crap and feel like they are doing what is best for their child? I can see throwing leftovers in a tupperware container, but that is usually stuff coming from mom and dad's meal and not food meant for the baby. This sort of stuff just makes me shake my head and wonder what the hell we are doing to our kids.

Tex
                  = 2
                  sigpic

If we cannot define a simple word like greatness, how can we ever hope to use it as a measuring stick to know when we have risen beyond average?

Comment

• That's it tex, bigger canners, hotter temps. Freezing is the recommended method for purees, I used metal ice cube trays. Because BPA freaks me out.

Comment

• Exactly Tex.

Plus that plastics stuff is one-time use only. I guess if you're diligent, you can rinse it out and recycle. But if you're willing to spend that time, then it's not much more to make it from scratch. (full disclosure - I did not make baby food from scratch when the boys were little.)

I sure had a ton of those little jars that I reused in lots of ways.

Comment

• Originally posted by doublel View Post
                        That's it tex, bigger canners, hotter temps. Freezing is the recommended method for purees, I used metal ice cube trays. Because BPA freaks me out.
                        Please excuse my ignorance, but what is, BPA?

I hope is something highly technical that a man shouldn't know about, otherwise I'm gonna feel really dumb. HaHa

Tex
                        = 2
                        sigpic

Comment

• It's a chemical that leeches out of plastics. You have to watch for bpa free in sport bottles and other plastics.
                          "Oh, America. I wish I could tell you that this was still America, but I've come to realize that you can't have a country without people. And there are no people here. No, my friends. This is now the United States of Zombieland"

Comment

• BPA is Bisphenol A. It's in a lot of plastics and canned food liners and even on receipt paper. It's been shown to mimic estrogen and likely leaches into our food and bottled water.

Comment

• Even BPA free is now thought to not be safe. Avoiding plastics is a better choice.

Comment

• dl - Ball is producing silicone freezing trays now, being marketed for use in freezing herbs. I want some, but so far every time I check for them at my local wally they're not in stock.

They'd be great for baby food purees, stock starters, and even those butter/herb/seasoning "flavor" starters that are being produced by Knorr and Land O Lakes.

Comment

Working...
                                X