No announcement yet.

A New Year, A New Farm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Those prickly pear fruits are good eating when they turn purple in the fall, about like a cross between plum and fig. They make great jelly too.

Tell me more about the first one. It looks like a Crepe myrtle with grapes stuck to the bark.

Comment

The jaboticaba is native to brazil but there are a lot in south florida so I hear-supposed to be big amongst the Latin population. They supposedly taste like a cross between a grape, plum and/or cherry. Very hardy in semitropical areas (such as where I live!) and they are supposed to make great jams. I have looked for a tree but didn't want to spend $60. So I bought some seeds from a guy who has a great rep as the strange seed guy and got 8 seeds for $6 shipping included. The seeds have to be damp and never dry out in order to germinate and they were good and soaked when I got them so I have faith they shall sprout....Now of course it will be nearly a decade before they fruit but I figure it is an interesting long term project.

I haven't actually had or made the prickly pear fruit jam-and I really oughta make some as my mom has a few plants that are loaded with the fruit. My plan is to make one metric shit ton of mulberry jam this season. I have enough for several log rollins when the trees get going!
      Daughter of a Ghost Town.

Comment

That jabotica is cool. I envy your long growing seasons down there and of course your warm winters but I don't think I could stand your summers. What do you do with the prickly pear . Does that grow fruit or do you use the plant.

Comment

You can fry or boil or grill the pads (rake the spines off first). I have had the soup and do like it. The fruits you can eat or make into jam.

Yeah the summers here can be fierce. Nowadays almost everyone has central heat and air-but I didn't grow up with it at all and I don't recall being terribly miserable. OF course our home was under some large oaks, low lying and right up next to the pond. Just had to watch for gators.
          The old timers built homes under oak canopies and with attention to how to catch a breeze in the house (high ceilings and dog trots for instance). They also managed their days in accordance with the heat-no heavy outside work in the sun during the peak heat of the day if you could at all help it. and drink a loooot of water!

I do see a lot of the new(er) homes in areas out from under oaks (insurance reasons maybe?-can't be under big trees cause of hurricanes, etc or perhaps fear of an unkempt lawn?) and built high up on hills and I can't help but think to myself how miserable that would be with the ac out or in a shtf situation.

Comment

The jaboticaba tree is quite unique. What an amazing way for the fruit to grow.

I looked through my pics and found one where I had timed myself on working up a section of ground with the broadfork. It took me 5 minutes to work an 8 foot section. There's no way I could do it with a spade or garden fork. For one thing, I don't have to do any bending to get it done. Once the handles are pulled back far enough, I step on the handle to complete pushing the handles to the ground. Thenn, I use the top of the foot to bring the handle back up to my hand. This is done if you want to completely lift the soil from the ground; which is good to do if there is a lot of grass cover. Once a grass covered area is loosened this much, you can use a 'garden claw' to loosen the grass from the soil.

Here's the 8' section that was worked with the broadfork. I only loosened the soil; I didn't turn it. If you want to remove clumps of grass, do this first, and then, the 'claw'..

Dode

Comment

I'm thinking that the broadfork is akin to plowing. After a plot is plowed (broadforked), it still has to be worked to remove grass and to break up the clumps. Maybe, those push type cultivators and discs would be a good idea to have.
              Dode

Comment

Thank you Dode! I can't wait to get my new tools in!

Project for the day: We were lucky enough to stumble on 2 large heavy plastic pond liners that you bury and make an ornamental pond. Bought them super cheap from a friend so we are using the larger of the two in the duck area so they have a bigger and deeper pool to swim in.
                The second, smaller one we are putting in the front and growing chinese water chestnuts. (yup just like the ones you get in the can at the grocery or in your asian food). They are good protein, and grow really fast-so I thought I would give them a try.

Also we are fencing in a big area of the yard around the coop for a more enclosed run. Pics forthcoming!

Comment

What kind of toys do you have for the ducks to play with?

Tex
                  = 2
                  sigpic

If we cannot define a simple word like greatness, how can we ever hope to use it as a measuring stick to know when we have risen beyond average?

Comment

Originally posted by Tex View Post
                    What kind of toys do you have for the ducks to play with?

Tex
                    Alas, none for I figure they are ducks and can entertain themselves

Comment

mine always have, by crapping on everything in sight and pulling up the garden. they were death on slugs and snails though

Comment

chickenyard.jpg

duck.jpg

Comment

First pic is the husband setting posts-well, chopping through roots to set posts.
                          The second is Seth is the duckpen digging a hole for the new pond that is right in the foreground of the picture.

Comment

...and mostly finished! We have the pond buried and the filter going. Just gotta pretty it up! Easy project.

duckpond.jpg

Comment

That's great! Will you use the duck water for fertilization?
                              Dode

Comment

Originally posted by Dode View Post
                                That's great! Will you use the duck water for fertilization?
                                most definitely! I hope the girls start laying soon, I do love duck eggs.

Comment

Working...
                                X