No announcement yet.

A New Year, A New Farm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Congrats on the chicks! I am very excited to see what happens with your new loom. Please keep us posted. Btw, how about a pic of the drinking horn. I'm not sure what that is.

Glad to see I'm not the only one to make projects in the Den.
    Dode

Comment

Thanks! Here is the drinking horn-I will seal the inside to make it drinking safe.

drinking horn.jpg
      Daughter of a Ghost Town.

Comment

Omg.... that thing is huge! I don't know a thing about them... how do you seal it for drinking?
        Dode

Comment

I didn't know you were married to Spiderman. That's awesome, but who is the big homely guy standing behind him holding the wooden thing?

I'm glad you came in and gave us an update. Those hens will sure surprise you sometimes, won't they? We had a couple that hatched out a bunch of chicks way late and now we have some small ones running around. I'm glad to hear all is going well.

Tex
          = 2
          sigpic

If we cannot define a simple word like greatness, how can we ever hope to use it as a measuring stick to know when we have risen beyond average?

Comment

Tex, I just KNEW someone was going to make a spiderman comment I've got 4 boys in the house so there are superheroes and toy guns and swords everywhere.

Dode: I could seal it with beeswax or go with this liquid glass or food safe plastic stuff to seal it. I haven't done it yet but it is a pretty popular crafty thing out there-esp for the rendevous types. (We got this horn at a seminole war reenactment-only $15!) a lot of reenactors use them for pwder horns or cut them down as cups or even use them as just horns to make noise with. We use the little one you can see in the pic hanging on the fireplace for the occasional drink, and the large one is more for fun and show.

Comment

Are you interested in doing some trading on the drinking horn?

Tex
              = 2
              sigpic

If we cannot define a simple word like greatness, how can we ever hope to use it as a measuring stick to know when we have risen beyond average?

Comment

Southernmom, where did you get the horn? Is it off one the cows on the ranch, or did you buy it? I made a couple of hunting horns years ago, but I'm not sure I even remember how. One of them, I thinned the sides down on and it had alot better tone than the one I left alone.

Tex
                = 2
                sigpic

Comment

Congrats on the new farm. I wish you luck and wish I had found something like what you did. Our new home sits on 3.9 acres, with about 1 1/2 acres up the mountain and wooded. Great for firewood, but not much else. My husband wants goats, but I'm not sure yet. I want to get my garden extended and planted, the chickens settled, and the pigs under control before I start any other animals.
                  Good luck and enjoy.
                  Mickey

Comment

Tex I got it at a war reenactment event-super cheap. They range between $5 and $15 each at those out here. The guy had a pile of them. THat's the cheapest place to get them is out at a rendevous(where adults dress up and act like it is 200 or 300 years ago) or war reenactment. I should have bought a bunch of them. I might have a guy who can get ahold of a few-a good buddy of my husband is into that stuff and many know a guy.

Thanks Mickey! Yeah I hae been wanting goats for years but not yet ready to deal with their precocious nature. Good luck on your farm!

Comment

Southernmom - Brooksville Raid 1/16-17/16. I just wish they'd vary the ending once in a while.
                      "“The duty of a patriot is to protect his country from its government.” – Thomas Paine

Comment

Got some small looming done. Getting geared up to work onthebig one.

scarves.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Got some small looming done. Getting geared up to work onthebig one.

scarves.jpg

Comment

Well I got 30lbs of taters in the ground (red pontiac) a couple lbs of green beans planted (I planted pole, 1/2 runner and bush) got seedlings for tomatoes and peppers, squash, cukes going. I am gonna start some seminole pumpkin seeds and who knows what else pretty soon.
                          And of course in a few weeks in go the black eyed peas and after that sweet taters.
                          I wrestled with whether or not to get a tiller but I think I am going to go with a broakfork, as it seems better to aerate deeper for better root growth and is in some cases, quicker. Also, if the shtf it will work just fine. I'm also gonna invest in a much better american made grubbing hoe-I am hell on gardening tools.

Here's the broadfork I want to get: https://meadowcreature.com/broadforks I'm going with the 'Tall' broadfork.

Here's where I am getting the grubbing hoes, etc. : http://www.easydigging.com/

And I have to say, with all the double dug beds we wind up digging-I need some decent tools.

Comment

Here's the one I bought. I love the 20" wide fork and it works the ground w/o any problems.

Shop Gemplers for your landscaping, growing, safety supplies, clothing, footwear and pest control needs. Gemplers is a small, family-owned business based in Wisconsin and serving folks who work outdoors across the U.S.A. since 1939. We’re dedicated to always treating you like a neighbor and not a number.

I did 10" deep, but can go 12"

Dode

Comment

Nice! I keep hearing using one is a hell of a workout, is that true in your experience? I can't imagine it would be any harder than using a plain old hoe and spading fork to dig.
                              I also did a little shopping on ebay and bought some different seeds and cuttings to plant. Got some Jaboticaba seed-it's a tree that grows big round grape like fruit right off the trunk of the tree.
                              Also ordered some comfrey from Coe's Comfrey for the medicinals and compost and/or fodder-some cactus pads to plant (nopalea cochenillifera) yummy to eat and some medicinal properties and really nice looking...my mom has a few huge ones growing at the homeplace but I figure one of my kids will wind up running this little farm so I want to get some planted here.
                              Also got some ginger root to plant as well as turmeric...and finally tracked down the right kind of garlic to plant out here (lorz italian) but it's not time yet so I will wait a bit. I usually just throw a few in the ground from the feed store but the bulbing isn't so hot so I am actually going to attempt to do it right by paying attention to varieties, chilling hrs, etc.

And...heading to the feed store on sunday in town that has a nice heirloom variety of peas-and lo and behold they have zippers in. (that reminds me, I gotta get some okra planted).
                              Thanks for listening to the rambling! Hope yall got some seedlings started!

Comment

Jaboticaba:
                                jaboticaba.jpg

Prickly Pear Cactus:

cactus.jpg

Comment

Working...
                                X