Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, Vincent...Can't ya fix it for me? Tex says just a little elbow grease. Do you have elbow grease? I have KY but no elbow grease.
    I'm a ding bat & AA groupie

Comment

i was quoted $225+tax. thats to have the hide done, and get the skull cleaned for my son. im not interested in the hide.

i spoke to the neighbor last night. he said there are two of the bob cats around. a male and a female. he has seen them together recently. so im still on the hunt for the other one. but this morning Ayla and i shot and killed a possum. she was so excited until it convolsed after the first shot. so we had to make a second shot. then she asked,"where do we pile them up at?"

that a girl!

oh, and drunk AA said "my buddy still has the first one at home in his freezer"

in reguards to the one i shot last christmas
      Whats's that smell? Is that me???

Comment

Originally posted by gena.ky View Post
        well, vincent...can't ya fix it for me? Tex says just a little elbow grease. Do you have elbow grease? I have ky but no elbow grease.
        lol, it takes more then just a rub and scrub to tan a hide. No matter what tex trys to convince you of. He will also tell you that you cant get drunk drinking winecoolers in a hot tub because you will sweat out all the alchol too fast.

Comment

With the critters you are having to shoot around the homestead, you have a good opportunity to teach the young ones about using what you shoot. It soesn't take much to skin them and prep the hide for sale to the local fur dealer. Say what you want, Vincent, but the bobcat hides are worth the time to get them ready for sale.

Tex
          = 2
          sigpic

If we cannot define a simple word like greatness, how can we ever hope to use it as a measuring stick to know when we have risen beyond average?

Comment

We dont have local fur dealers. Infact i tried to give it to the local taxidermist in exchange for just the skull. He wasnt interested.

I agree tex. Its not goin gto go to waste. Wither someone else will take it to have done, or we will have a brain scooping-pee in a cup-etholyne glycol day of fun in the yard.

Comment

If you want me to, I can do some checking for fur buyers in your area. Florida being a warm climate, does not lend itself to heavily furred game, but unless the inside of the hide is blue, they are worth putting up.

Tex
              = 2
              sigpic

If we cannot define a simple word like greatness, how can we ever hope to use it as a measuring stick to know when we have risen beyond average?

Comment

Blue??

Comment

When a hide is not prime and not worth trying to salvage it will have a blue tint. When you skin the animal and look at the underneath side, it will be a whitish yellow from the fat. If the hide is not prime though, there will be a blueish tint. If it has that, the hide is not worth saving and a fur buyer will not buy it.

Tex
                  = 2
                  sigpic

Comment

I'm having a heckuva time trying to find an example to show you. I had always heard of a hide being blue if they were unprime, but until I saw an example one night while coonhunting, I didn't really understand. If the hide is unprime, the underside of the hide will be almost as blue as the lighter shade of blue on this page. Whenever I would skin a coon and see it was "blue" I would save it in order to use and train pups.

Tex
                    = 2
                    sigpic

Comment

• You skin racoons? I just throw them in the woods for the buzzards. Possums are even worse. Ick

Comment

• Tex- i had to put down one of the goats. It was the mother of my two young'uns. She got extremly weak, and had un-ending pastey crap. The other female goats were picking on her and knocking her over. She didnt have the energy to stand back up. Even once she was seperated she continued to get worse. I tried to worm her because she had finally stopped nursing the babies,(she had not been wormed in many months since we realized she was pregnant). I was giving her water with electrolytes in it. But i did not do an injection for antibiotics(in hindsight i guess i should have). When i found her she was down like she was dead, and her eyes were glazed over. But when i approached she let out a tiny weak bleat. I put her down, but have no idea what happened?

Do you think it was due to the months she went unwormed? Did the babies drink the life out of her??? She made little to no effort to rush them off the teet.
                        This all transpired since friday. Short period of time.

Comment

• No more bad news from you Vincent. I did not even know you momma goat & I am sad now. I'm sure you did everything you could. The shot may or may not have helped. At least you tried to save her and the little kids are weaned now.
                          I'm a ding bat & AA groupie

Comment

• A lot of times, if they are already sick I wouldn't worm them. That is not always true, but being sick and then having the toxicity of dead worms thrown on top of it only compounds the problem. If you looked and noticed her poop being pasty, I'm thinking you would have noticed worms in there as well.

Did you try pinching her skin to see if she was dehydrated? You can do this by pinching skin on the side of their neck and pulling straight out. if the skin springs right back into normal position, the animal is not dehydrated. If the skin stay out like you were still pinching it and doesn't go back to normal, they are dehydrated and need electrolytes.

You can also check and see if the animal is anemic. To do this look at the gums, or open their snatch just a little bit and look at the tissue. A healthy pink color is what you want, as it means the animal is getting a good blood flow and is healthy. If the tissue is pale or yellowish, this means they are anemic and unhealthy.

Goats are a fairly hardy animal, but they do need a regular worming program. Worming a goat when they are already sick will usually kill them. Whenever we have one get sick we will usually do the same for them as we do the cows, and that is to give them a dose of LA200. That is nothing more than Terramyacin, which is a general broadrange medicine. It would have probably helped to have given her a shot of some form of penicillin as well. Usually if an animal can be healed up, a shot of LA200 and penicillin will do it.

Once you noticed your goat was sick you should have pulled her kids off of her as she will kill herself trying to feed her young. This would also prevent her from passing on whatever she has to her kids and the rest of the herd. You mentioned the other goats picking on her. This is common in almost all species. When an animal is sick, a lot of times the rest of the herd will gang up on the sick one trying to drive them from the herd. They probably do that to prevent the sick animal from infecting the rest of the herd, but I'm only guessing on that.

Next time call me.

Tex
                            = 2
                            sigpic

Comment

• Honestly i ment to call you, but thought she was going to pull through. Once i seperated her she seemed to better for a day, then over night she took a huge turn for the worse. I had terramyacin in the 50 strength because i use if from time to time on the chickens. I could have and should hjave given her a heavy dosage. I saw no worms and did look for them, but i figured it wouldnt hurt since i was giving ivomec to the pig that same day. I did check her gums and she was looking anemic. And i did verify she was dehydrated. That was why i gave her the electrolytes and encouraged her to drink. She continuted to eat like there was no tomorrow(as it turns out, there wasnt) but her drinking was not in large quantites. Thankfull the babies had been weened completly in the past 10 days or so.

AND MY G-D RABBITS STILL WONT PRODUCE!!!!!SERIOUSLY WTF

Comment

• Dude, you got the only shy, chaste, virginal rabbits on Earth?
                                quam minimum credula postero

Comment

Working...
                                X