Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

they search you because you look like a communist.
    Whats's that smell? Is that me???

Comment

AB, id be down with that on sunday. I work until 4 on saturday

Comment

I was intending to cook him for my party back in april, but that's when mom was sick and we had to cancel. so then I was thinking butcher him in December. but now im thinking it may be time now before he gets to much fat on him. he's a big boy

Comment

Fat can be rendered, if you don't want to cook with it, there's always soap to be made.
          quam minimum credula postero

Comment

250 pounds is the optimal weight to butcher. After that you spend more to gain fat than you do edible meat.

On a different note, Vincent, my niece who is here at the ranch now is raising 91 chicks. There is 20 baby chicks that some broody hens hatched out, then there is 21 guinea chicks that those hens hatched and the other day Smart Kid and the Hostile Native went and bought 50 broilers. It is getting fowl around the ranch.

Tex
            = 2
            sigpic

If we cannot define a simple word like greatness, how can we ever hope to use it as a measuring stick to know when we have risen beyond average?

Comment

The way your holding him and the smile on your face.....i am second guessing coming to dinner at your house.

Comment

Kinda makes you wonder about the stuffed pork, don't it?

Tex
                = 2
                sigpic

If we cannot define a simple word like greatness, how can we ever hope to use it as a measuring stick to know when we have risen beyond average?

Comment

Oh man, I will be terrible at this doomsday stuff.
                  Vincey, how can you hug him one day & cut his throat the next???
                  Oh boy, this will be really hard for me. Don't let me near the farm animals, they will all become my pets.
                  I'm a ding bat & AA groupie

Comment

When I was cowboying , the owner had a steer he wanted to butcher so I culled him out and fattened him up for a couple weeks. When he came to pick him up to take to the butcher I had outlined in chalk all the cuts that was to be done. The owners daughter was with him and when see saw that she started bawling and making all sorts of fits. I don't think she ever forgive me for that one. Owner thought it was funny. When you work with animals it is just part of the big picture what needs to be done. I use to name most of them and that made it more personnel but you just did what was needed and go on. And the one that I marked up was called T-Bone.
                    If you heard the shot you weren't the target!

Comment

When I was a kid, I used to stay with my cousins every summer for a week or two during summer break. They had the coolest cow. His name was T-Bone too. I made friends with him, talked to him & fell in love. NO not that kind of love, you sick-o! The next summer we were at their kitchen table eating hamburgers. My uncle asked me if I liked the hamburger & I said yes...why? He said that I was eating old T-Bone. Oh man, a terrible day for me. I threw the hamburger down & just ate my veggies that night. I will never forget that.
                      I am a meat & tater gal, but if I know the animal, I can't eat it.
                      I'm a ding bat & AA groupie

Comment

Originally posted by VINCENT View Post
                        my great bunny experiment..... yeah.....no. still no babies.....at least not any that have lived past the hour mark. but im still trying. and no. i dont want to talk about it. oh...plus one of my females died last week. i think she heard me say that if she didnt produce this time i was going to eat her.....the pressure was to much for her and i didnt even get a decent BBQ out of her because im not prepared to eat meat that has been laying in the heat for hours. gag.

the goats have produced several babies and all the babies have been sold off. we also picked up several more females for the heard. a viariety of breeds. im not shoing them so i only care about food quality not colorings and such.

our pot belly pigs have gone to new homes oncve the babies were sold. i only want to focus on eggible animals. and yes...the pony is considered edible....at least by me.

our regular pig who was due to be the feast for my birthday party that we had to cancel was given a temp reprieve. he is getting big and will be filling the freezer come fall or winter. for those that i had to cancel on when mom got so ill(surprizingly she still is alive thankfully) i promise we will still do a party, but it will wait until we have a young pig next season....unless i decide to do one of the goats sooner.

i have 15 or 16 ducks that i am preparing to butcher. JT aint all excited about the prospect of the ducks but i figure once we eat one she will either jump on board or prohibit me from killing any more.

we shall see
                        I could see having one or two pet ducks that don't get eaten, but only if they'll produce more ducks! I like them crispy, I like them cooked plain, I like them with sauce, and I'll eat the leftovers too.

Have to agree about keeping worthwhile animals, and that means they either work, or get eaten.
                        quam minimum credula postero

Comment

YOU SHOULD SEE THE SIZE OF A HOLE THAT A 12GA #4 BUCK PUTS IN A RACCON FROM 3 FEET AWAY!!! 2 chickens dead yesterday and a few others over the past weekish. so i set out some traps and the 12ga. kept a listen and within 2 hours after sunset i had one in the bag.... or the hole... or what ever you wanna call it. then this morning another got trapped, but by the time i got out there it was gone...i'll get it tonight

Comment

You have the roadkill recipe for that?
                            "“The duty of a patriot is to protect his country from its government.” – Thomas Paine

Comment

I need a flash light mount for the 12ga. Jt had to hold the 3d maglight while i shot the thing so i mad sure not to shoot the rooster i had caged as bait.

Comment

no raccons last night. i had place a differnt chicken into the trap and decided to givew that poor rooster a night of. he refused to go into the cage with the rest of the birds. but can you blame him? in the past few days he was attacxked and had his neck gouged. then i shoved him in a cage where the cage/he was attacked and then a raccon was blasted off the top just over his head by inchs from a meer 3 feet away. by now he should be a basket case...... well this morning when i saw nothing in the traps, i chose to take my time and get dressed before i went out to snap the traps closed...... in the 30 minutes that past, the sun came up and the rooster went to investigate the one lone female in the cage surrounded by traps....

so yeah... i think his leg is broken..... and JT has renamed him eeyore. poor little roo.

Comment

Working...
                                X