replied
    HOMEinSTEAD

My yard visitors.

Attached files

Leave a comment:

• VINCENT
    replied
    HOMEinSTEAD

NO COON IN THE TRAP, BUT IM MISSING A FEW CHICKS.

Leave a comment:

• Gena.KY
    replied
    HOMEinSTEAD

Tha tis a purty peksture Vincent. Funy lukin cucs u hve.

Leave a comment:

• VINCENT
    replied
    HOMEinSTEAD

oh, and one dead chicken. i found his head, and both wings . either i have a predator, or someone preforming santanista rituals in the chicken yard.

Leave a comment:

• VINCENT
    replied
    HOMEinSTEAD

then on sunday a friend dropped by. he manages a hunt camp that is open from september til july. well the last of the people left this week and the kitchen was still fully stocked so he came by with gallons of milk, loafs of bread, sugar, 4 dozen eggs, and 5 boxs of groceries. enough to over fill my fridge, both freezers, and pantries. plus he brought me a bunch of venison that one of the hunters had left him.

and so what did JT and i do on sunday????

we used our fresh harvest veggies, and herbs, plus the venison and potatos he brought over.

then we

and we

12 lbs of beans, 10 quarts of venison stew(plus what i ate), and 60 pieces of french toast(in the freezer for kids breakfasts).

Leave a comment:

• VINCENT
    replied
    HOMEinSTEAD

So i decided to rip out the garden this weekend. as i began ripping out the yellow droopy soggy zuchini plants i made a discovery. underneath were very happy thriving green bean plants. to the tune of 15lbs of green beans. then i began finding cukes. yep they were still orange, but they are hella good. plus several of my herb plants are growing. not as many as i would like, but i was able to harvest some rosemary, some basil, and some cilantro. i found one3 zuch, and a few more that will be ready in afew days(not all theplants were mush and dead). a few yellow squash should be ready by mid week. my peper plants are bloomoing and doing well. now if i could just remember which peper plant is which. chives are growing well in some area, and in others they had all died off. but basicly the garden is doing better then i thought. dont get me wrong. i threw out ALOT!!!!! the goats were well fed. but all in all i was surprizingly happy with my harvest this weekend.

Leave a comment:

• angeryamerican
    replied
    HOMEinSTEAD

Well, sounds like you still got a brown thumb. Keep it outta yer ass an you may be able to grow sumthin.

Leave a comment:

• DMH
    replied
    HOMEinSTEAD

Aww. They are cute. Did you name them? LOL!

Leave a comment:

• DMH
    replied
    HOMEinSTEAD

That just sucks. All that effort for nothing. Feast or famine is the life of a farmer.

Leave a comment:

• unseenone
    replied
    HOMEinSTEAD

Sory fel frea to uncorekt it.

Leave a comment:

• VINCENT
    replied
    HOMEinSTEAD

some of our chicks, taken just a few days ago

Leave a comment:

• VINCENT
    replied
    HOMEinSTEAD

DID I MENTION THE ORANGE CUKES???? DID I???

the cucumbers that i bought from the guy were sold as green medium cuckes. good for eating, or pickeling. they are the size of a nerf football and they are half green and half orange. WTF!!!

Leave a comment:

• Gena.KY
    replied
    HOMEinSTEAD

That is a terrible thing Vincent. Sad Sad Sad, I know I don't have to tell you but the next time go to bepreparred.com and get you some real heirloom seeds. There may be other places out there, but that is where I get mine.
    Damn....all that hard work for nuthin! Sorry for you!

Leave a comment:

• VINCENT
    replied
    HOMEinSTEAD

my great bunny experiment..... yeah.....no. still no babies.....at least not any that have lived past the hour mark. but im still trying. and no. i dont want to talk about it. oh...plus one of my females died last week. i think she heard me say that if she didnt produce this time i was going to eat her.....the pressure was to much for her and i didnt even get a decent BBQ out of her because im not prepared to eat meat that has been laying in the heat for hours. gag.

the goats have produced several babies and all the babies have been sold off. we also picked up several more females for the heard. a viariety of breeds. im not shoing them so i only care about food quality not colorings and such.

our pot belly pigs have gone to new homes oncve the babies were sold. i only want to focus on eggible animals. and yes...the pony is considered edible....at least by me.

our regular pig who was due to be the feast for my birthday party that we had to cancel was given a temp reprieve. he is getting big and will be filling the freezer come fall or winter. for those that i had to cancel on when mom got so ill(surprizingly she still is alive thankfully) i promise we will still do a party, but it will wait until we have a young pig next season....unless i decide to do one of the goats sooner.

i have 15 or 16 ducks that i am preparing to butcher. JT aint all excited about the prospect of the ducks but i figure once we eat one she will either jump on board or prohibit me from killing any more.

we shall see

Leave a comment:

• VINCENT
    replied
    HOMEinSTEAD

at this point i am prepared to rip it all out, and start over with some florida summer hearty plants. something will be better then nothing. i thought about letting the goats in so they could fertilize at the same time, but then i realized my jucca palnts are going strong, but wont be ready for harvest of the tubers until fall. so i dont want the goats eating all the tops.

lets give the garden a rest. and move on to the chicklens.

ive gone thru about 50 chicks this season. both store bought, and chicks that we hatched from the incubator and ones the mommas hatched. all laid from our own birds. of these 50, i have 12-15 that are just hitting laying age, and i have another 20ish that are about 6-8 weeks old. the rest have gone to the great garbage can, or compost pile in the sky.

today i recieved 18 eggs in the mail. they are all pale green or blue. eggs from americanas. but the rooster is a french copper maran. the maran hens lay a deep chocolate colored egg. the off spring that i am attempting to hatch and raise will be known as olive eggers. they will lay an egg that will be a deep olive green color. 21 days from now we should be having hatchlings.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X