No announcement yet.

When a ranch kid lives in town.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DoubleL, when you do get them, the live ones will be so stressed, I would not hold out much hope for high survival rates. I would be on the phone with the hatchery to try and get a new order shipped.

It is always better to order your chicks through the feedstore if possible. This gives the customer a little bit of a cushion to get healthy chicks.

Tex
    = 2
    sigpic

If we cannot define a simple word like greatness, how can we ever hope to use it as a measuring stick to know when we have risen beyond average?

Comment

Got them, 5 dead out of 22, the surviving Cornish x look really good and the 2 barred rock look ok. I am not having a lot of hope for the americauns or the buffs. We are nursing with sugar water.

Comment

Long ago, I found a half dead Fancy Pidgeon stuck in mud and I rescued it. Made up a solution of PowerAid (not GatorAid) and administered it a drop at a time. The bird was up on it's feet in a few minutes. Made bird seed and water available the next couple of days. At any rate, PowerAid does help to replenish electrolytes and I use that as my first 'go to fluid' for any downed animal that I rescue. Works every time and only needs to be enough for the first few drinks. I would try a bit of that for a few sips to bring their electrolytes back up and then continue with the sugar water for energy.
        Dode

Comment

That's pretty much what I did Dode, I had to go to town so I picked up chick electrolytes, which is just like powdered power aid, it's even orange. I swear the Cornish have grown since this morning. The buffs and americauns still look worrisome, guess we will see what the night brings. I will attach the pic I took, but it's hard to see anything because of the heat lamp.
          image.jpg

Comment

A mass of warm fuzzies!
            quam minimum credula postero

Comment

I hope all are well this morning. They are just so darn cute!
              Dode

Comment

Dropping like flies. All but 1 barred rock of the egg layers have died. All the remaining Cornish are alive and doing well. Now I have to decide whether to order more, or just get my money back. This has been pretty stressful.

Comment

We can hook you up with some chicks if you want. We've got 50 or so that I bought from the Bomgaars a little while back and they are all doing well.

Tex
                  = 2
                  sigpic

If we cannot define a simple word like greatness, how can we ever hope to use it as a measuring stick to know when we have risen beyond average?

Comment

Originally posted by Tex View Post
                    We can hook you up with some chicks if you want.

Tex
                    Gee Tex........... I would let you hook me up with some chicks, but the last time that happened my wife pitched such a fit.....
                    "Oh, America. I wish I could tell you that this was still America, but I've come to realize that you can't have a country without people. And there are no people here. No, my friends. This is now the United States of Zombieland"

Comment

A poster on SB said her chicks from Ideal Poultry arrived healthy and robust, in the past few days.
                      Last edited by Dode; 05-31-2015, 05:48 PM.
                      Dode

Comment

Mogs, we know her over here too.

Comment

Thanks Tex, but I am giving them one more shot to make it right. They are reshipping the entire order Saturday. I still have 10 of the Cornish left, but they are sending the full 15, in case anymore die. This hasn't been a very fun experience....

Comment

DL - you might want to give the Postmaster lady a heads up about the reship, so she can help stay on top of it.

And no, I imagine it hasn't been fun; but it has been experience.
                            Pastemistress. Now aka Mimi

Comment

As brother Coyote knows, sometimes learning isn't much fun.

Comment

B12 syrup for on their feed .
                                Farm supply store .

DD
                                OH Boy.....did you try plugging it in ?

Comment

Working...
                                X