No announcement yet.

When a ranch kid lives in town.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gold star to anyone who can guess what this is! Hint it fits the purpose of this thread which is to make full use of your land, even if you are in town. Hint 2 it's an edible.
    image.jpg

Comment

Honey? Bacon grease? Chicken fat?
      "“The duty of a patriot is to protect his country from its government.” – Thomas Paine

Comment

No, no, and no!

Comment

Wild Honey

Comment

Not honey....but similar.

Comment

Does gena make it in the book?

Comment

Its syrup!

Comment

If it's apple jelly, you're supposed to fill the jar all the way up.

If the pic is not sideways, I've had more beer than I thought

Comment

I cheated

Comment

It is AD. I tapped 2 boxelder trees in my yard. And you know what? It is freaking fantastic! Sweeter than maple, and a bit butterscotchy.

Comment

I cheated. I went to see the activity stream and it said you were searching syrup

Comment

I am not sure if I am proud of you or want to kick your ass AD.....

Comment

LL, stuff like this is awesome, and exactly what we need more of.

Originally posted by doublel View Post
                            Today was potato digging day out in the community near my dads ranch. One of the neighbors plants a bunch of potatoes. Think like 3-400 foot rows. Then they run a really old potato digger down the rows and you walk along and pick up the spuds. Its fun and good to get the community together. Many of them thinking aloud about the possibility of only having potatoes to eat. Then there is a big pot luck style lunch and talking. Its a great deal. Then everyone goes home with at least 100 lbs of tators.

They have been planting the same potatoes for decades, using last years potatoes as seed for the next year. The original variety was called Pontiac, but I think the potatoes have changed to adapt to be perfect for this soil, rainfall, ect. These are dryland potatoes, which in Wyoming is a big deal.

Comment

Have any of you Pennsylvania folks done maple? I am looking for a bit more advice.

Comment

Originally posted by doublel View Post
                                Have any of you Pennsylvania folks done maple? I am looking for a bit more advice.
                                I have some basic experience with it in our backyard. And my uncle runs a regular sugar bush. What's up?

Comment

Working...
                                X