No announcement yet.

Making laundry soap for next to nothing per load

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I went ahead and placed an order through Amazon Prime for 3.5 lbs soap berries (GreenWill) $25, 4 bags+sample berries $4, and a sampler from NaturOli of 1lb soap berries, 2 bags and a small 18X for$8. Shipping was free on all of it. Look like I'll have plenty of bags to share w/relatives. I'm mostly looking forward to making shampoo/body wash/dish detergent that is truly organic.
    Dode

Comment

I had forgotten about the soap berries, too. Thanks for the reminder.

When adding them to my weekly Amazon cart, I noted the add-on for wool dryer balls. Supposedly a natural replacement for fabric softener. Has anyone tried those?

Kelly

Comment

You can get similar faster drying times with a big dry cotton towel added to the dryer load. However, there may be micro lint all over the clothes. Perhaps the wool balls are made of long staple fiber and won't leave lint. If the felted balls are made of wool scrap fiber, then you might get wool lint all over your clothes.

I've been knitting and felting with wool, so I might try making my own dryer balls.
        Dode

Comment

Originally posted by klc7402 View Post
          I had forgotten about the soap berries, too. Thanks for the reminder.

When adding them to my weekly Amazon cart, I noted the add-on for wool dryer balls. Supposedly a natural replacement for fabric softener. Has anyone tried those?

Kelly
          After reading the product description, I feel confidant that they are made of quality, long staple wool. I doubt they will shed in the dryer.

I do know that wool can become brittle from drying out and will start to shed. If there are instructions included, as to how to rejuvenate the balls with some sort of wool/lanolin rinse, then you might be able to avoid brittleness after hundreds of use. Just a thought.
          Dode

Comment

We were talking soap nuts one day, and they seriously should be possible to grow your own. The western soapberry tree is what the native one is called.

There are some parasites and things that find them tasty, so the trick is keeping it alive until it gets past 2" trunk diameter.
            quam minimum credula postero

Comment

I've used the fels naptha/borax/washing soda soap (dry, not liquid). Ingredients were kind of hard to find here, but more available now. I didn't think it cleaned super well & it ruined several dark things.

Comment

Originally posted by Betty Buckshot View Post
                I've used the fels naptha/borax/washing soda soap (dry, not liquid). Ingredients were kind of hard to find here, but more available now. I didn't think it cleaned super well & it ruined several dark things.
                The ingredients are easy to find here. It doesn't clean well....my yard clothes came out stained forever, after one wash with the homemade. It does ruin dark clothes by fading the color. I've decided to use it as a face wash and it gets my pores super clean....who knew?

I received my soapnuts today.... have some soaking right now. Planning to make dishsoap and shampoo when I finish this note.

Soapberry trees grow all over the world; each country having different types. Be sure to get the variety that grows well in your area. Some don't produce if there is a frost.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Dode; 09-08-2014, 01:55 PM.
                Dode

Comment

How much are you gals using? We use it and have had no rouble at all, but we use very little compared to commercial brands. After years and years of having to use so much with the name brand stuff, it was hard to only use a little bit.

Tex
                  = 2
                  sigpic

If we cannot define a simple word like greatness, how can we ever hope to use it as a measuring stick to know when we have risen beyond average?

Comment

Originally posted by Tex View Post
                    How much are you gals using? We use it and have had no rouble at all, but we use very little compared to commercial brands. After years and years of having to use so much with the name brand stuff, it was hard to only use a little bit.

Tex
                    I used the recommended amount, but it left dirt stains on my tan colored yard pants. Had my black pants for years and one washing with homemade, faded them considerably, compared to a pair that hadn't been washed with homemade. Very disappointed in the fading. That's why I made the next batch w/o Fels and substituted grated homemade soap. The next batch made my towels sooooooo soft!...due to the fatty homemade soap used. I decided to not do laundry with the 'softener batch' and I use it solely for facials.....very pleased with that.

I attached a pic of the soapnuts to post #22
                    Last edited by Dode; 09-08-2014, 04:24 PM.
                    Dode

Comment

1-2 Tablespoons. Left large faded blotches on black t-shirts & sweatshirts.

Dode, I don't think you should use borax on your face--I think it's toxic

Comment

Yikes!
                        Dode

Comment

Had to check....

We're sorry, but the page you are looking for was not found. Please select a page from the menus above, or enter some...

Boric Acid/ Borates/ BoraxBeyond Pesticides Rating: Least Toxic

Boric acid (borax and boron-containing salts) is a low-toxicity mineral with insecticidal, fungicidal, and herbicidal properties. It does not evaporate or volatilize into the air or pose the considerable health concerns associated with synthetic pesticides; however it can still pose health hazards and should be used with care. As with any pesticide, keep boric acid pesticide products out of reach of children and only use it in locations where it will not come in contact with people or animals, such as in cracks and crevices, behind counters, and in baseboards. While boric acid is somewhat slower acting than the synthetic pesticides, like chlorpyrifos, diazinon, or pyrethrins, it is highly effective over a long period of time.

Looks like is a little toxic.

I guess a person wants to make sure they wash it all completely off. I don't think this stuff could be as bad as lye though. That stuff will dang sure burn if you don't get it all washed of.

Tex
                          = 2
                          sigpic

If we cannot define a simple word like greatness, how can we ever hope to use it as a measuring stick to know when we have risen beyond average?

Comment

I just started using it a month ago for a weekly facial..... 1/2 tsp on the nose, chin and forehead.... hmmm. I don't know what to think...
                            Dode

Comment

Working...
                            X