No announcement yet.

Goats for dealing with insane shrubbery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chicken fried steak!!! Already, I want some! You better not be lyin'....

Redman...thanks so much for your thoughts....I guess banding should be left to the 1" nads of month old bucklings. Good tip on the emaculator in addition to cutting.
    Dode

Comment

Tex, will you have a big mess of 'fries' at the next roundup?
      Dode

Comment

Southernmom....I think you should get some cheap goats and practice 'goat care' on them. After a couple of seasons, then you can slaughter. After gaining experience, your subsequent small herd can be the pricey meat goat, if that suits your needs. However, once you get the brush under control, you might want to go with a dwarf breed, that won't be so hard on fencing, and there will be enough brush for them to consume. If you want to get into milking just for your daily needs, you can have 3 dwarf goats that, combined, will put out a tad more milk than one dairy goat. The up side is that combined, they will consume the same amount as one dairy goat AND they will keep each other company. If you have the room and feed for dairy goats, then get dairy goats. Goats must have the company of other goats or they begin to fail.
        Dode

Comment

I have been know to eat a lot of weird things, being best friends with someone who grew up in Mexico. I have had the opportunity to eat some interesting things, but I draw the line at testicles. I understand they might be some damn good eaten, just not by me. )

RD
          Sometimes I wrestle with my demons, other times we just snuggle.

Comment

Originally posted by Dode View Post
            Tex, will you have a big mess of 'fries' at the next roundup?
            It all depends on the signs, Dode. Last year we cut and this year we banded.

Tex
            = 2
            sigpic

If we cannot define a simple word like greatness, how can we ever hope to use it as a measuring stick to know when we have risen beyond average?

Comment

Southern Mom,
              We have huge issues with goats and parasites in the south. Get in touch with the extension agent. They will give you good advice for your area.

Comment

Originally posted by Tex View Post
                It all depends on the signs, Dode. Last year we cut and this year we banded.

Tex
                Tex, would you PLEASE do a more detailed thread on this? I was around when you were talking about it, but kept missing all the details. I know you've discussed it in various posts and on chat, but I never seem to get/grasp how exactly you determine what the signs are and what they mean. TIA
                Pastemistress. Now aka Mimi

Comment

Yes, I will. Stay on me about it, because it will take a little bit.

Tex
                  = 2
                  sigpic

If we cannot define a simple word like greatness, how can we ever hope to use it as a measuring stick to know when we have risen beyond average?

Comment

Working...
                  X