No announcement yet.

steer question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If I understood previous posts correctly, you want the bull born smallish, but to reach full size and have large testicles? If someone's gonna breed him, they might see smaller huevos/lower capicity, and look elsewhere.
    quam minimum credula postero

Comment

Exactly. The birthweight really comes into play when you are looking for a herdsire to breed first calf heifers. On older cows, it is not that big of a deal, but you still do not want to get carried away. The trick is to find a bull that throws small to normal size calves that has the genetics to really grow out well and pack on the structure and the pounds. Ranchers sell their calves based on weight, so the more pounds that calf weighs, the bigger the check. Fifty years ago cattle were alot less uniform and they didn't grow out well. Now we are selling weaned calves that weigh more than most yearlings did back them. Thanks to some vigilant breeders and alot of genetic modification, the cattle industry has really improved.

Tex
      = 2
      sigpic

If we cannot define a simple word like greatness, how can we ever hope to use it as a measuring stick to know when we have risen beyond average?

Comment

Here's the little bull that is gonna get cut this Tuesday.
        10355375_10202699141532354_2187655466006528382_n.jpg

and this is the bull we will keep to sell or trade later:
        10360477_10202699141812361_6906045295171288666_n.jpg
        Daughter of a Ghost Town.

Comment

Southernmom, why are you keeping the one as a bull to sell or trade later rather than going ahead and cutting him?
          Take his mind off ass and put it on grass. You will make more money and have alot less headache.

Tex
          = 2
          sigpic

If we cannot define a simple word like greatness, how can we ever hope to use it as a measuring stick to know when we have risen beyond average?

Comment

Originally posted by Tex View Post
            Southernmom, why are you keeping the one as a bull to sell or trade later rather than going ahead and cutting him?
            Take his mind off ass and put it on grass. You will make more money and have alot less headache.

Tex
            I'm honestly not sure why I'm so hung up on saving his balls. I guess cause he's such a manly little feller and I think he'd make purty babies, haha! But good point. It's not like there is a shortage of bulls around here.

Comment

If we did not absolutely have to have bulls, there is no way that we would keep them. The same goes with stud horses too. We like having new colts, but having a stud around these days is a liability.

As a steer, they will gain better weight and they will be alot less trouble and easier to handle. Are you running a ranch or a hobby farm?

Tex
              = 2
              sigpic

Comment

Tex is right, there isnt anything else to add...

Comment

uggggghhh dangit Tex and your common sense!

(Thanks for it, though. I"m sure I would arrive at the proper conclusions but only after a lot of trouble and time wasted.) You did say wayyy back there not to reinvent the cow. Things are done a certain way for a reason. I see that a little better, each day cause every time I ask your advice what you tell me is Just. Like. what my Pop did.

Comment

Thank you, Southernmom. You just made my day.

I wish I could have met your Pop.

Tex
                    = 2
                    sigpic

Comment

I really tried, but I just can't resist.

For every 1cm larger scrotal circumference, their heifer calves (daughters) should reach puberty 4 days earlier.

I just know you were all dying to know that. (see, I did learn something in college - Livestock Judging Team)

Comment

New here but I had to add as well, the larger the scrotal measurement of the bull, the larger pelvic measurement on his daughters. This allows the females to give birth easier, which is a priceless trait in cattle.

Comment

Working...
                        X