No announcement yet.

Resurrecting the Farm and Ranch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If y'all want some yucca recipes, I'll get my ex to write some down. Nothing like Puerto Rican rice and soupy beans (that's where the yucca comes in) with some pastillilos (sort of like empanadas). Hell, turkey to the left, turkey to the right (yeah, yeah turkey in the middle too) and I'm drooling for rice and beans. Go figure.
    "“The duty of a patriot is to protect his country from its government.” – Thomas Paine

Comment

Morning all...latest venture (other than trying to figure out a time to get some Yucca from Vincent!) is incubating chicken eggs. Yes, I broke down and bought a cheap incubator and that is our current project. I'm going to candle in the next few days to see if these things are doing anything, and hopefully in a few weeks I'll have a bunch of little chicks. Kinda excited about it, actually. We could get enough chickens 'in rotation' that we'd have enough to put in the freezer.
      Always busy around here.
      Daughter of a Ghost Town.

Comment

Southernmom, don't forget that you can use a flashlight too. Take a piece of dark heavy construction paper and make a funnel. Put the lit flashlight in one end and turn it pointing up and rest the egg on the other end. if you can see a small red dot which will grow into a red vein, you have a fertilized egg. Remember to put your incubator in a place where is will not be disturbed.

Tex
        = 2
        sigpic

If we cannot define a simple word like greatness, how can we ever hope to use it as a measuring stick to know when we have risen beyond average?

Comment

To check our goose eggs I used a high output Surefire LED tactical light or a Mag light. Having a low output normal flashlight will give you bad results.

Comment

I forgot to mention that checking the eggs needs to be done in a dark room. The shell on goose eggs may be a little thicker, I don't know. The Native and Chicken Wrangler don't have anything fancy, but they always had good luck with just using a good flashlight. YMMV.

Tex
            = 2
            sigpic

If we cannot define a simple word like greatness, how can we ever hope to use it as a measuring stick to know when we have risen beyond average?

Comment

Here is the main reason. Goose egg on the left with a medium chicken egg for comp

goose-chicken-quail-egg-comparison.jpg
              Last edited by AD; 12-01-2013, 12:02 PM.

Comment

Yeah, you would probably need more power for one of those. One would probably have a heckuva time fitting one of those into a regular incubator too. We are planning on getting a big batch of turkeys so that we can start raising them, but I figure we will just let the hens brood them. Hatching them out ourselves would require a whole different set of equipment.

AD, what do you guys do with all of the goose eggs?

Tex

Tex
                Last edited by Tex; 12-01-2013, 12:06 PM.
                = 2
                sigpic

Comment

Thank you so much for the tips! I will update on the eggs in a few days.
                  Daughter of a Ghost Town.

Comment

Originally posted by Tex View Post
                    AD, what do you guys do with all of the goose eggs?Tex
                    We wait until she she is setting, wait 2 weeks and pull the eggs and break up the nest.

Eggs go into the Frig for 48 hours and then out with the trash.

Since we live in the city on a man made lake with a HOA, the geese are rescued from some asshole who bought them and dumped them on the lake so they could "watch" the swim.

Since is a manmade lake with cement sides, there is no natural marsh areas, so no food. They do keep my back yard mowed.

The 3 live in our yard and get feed 2X /day. 3 geese are 3 too many.

Comment

Pull those goose eggs each day. They are enough for an omelet, but they are even better for baking with. Duck eggs too. But still good eating
                      Whats's that smell? Is that me???

Comment

If I pull them each day she keep laying. After about 30 eggs she is really beaten down and depleted of physical resources and is all but skin...errr feathers and bones. Producing big eggs like that takes a lot out of her.

Comment

And then she dies...win win

Comment

Ok. Maybe not. Find a happy medium

Comment

The wife thinks eating her eggs is a kin to eating your grandchildren

Comment

Whether it is chickens, ducks, geese or ostrich, eating the egg of a fowl is nothing more than eating the period of that particular bird.

Enjoy your eggs.

Tex
                                = 2
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X