No announcement yet.

Resurrecting the Farm and Ranch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One of the things that is fabulous about Florida is all the citrus. I lived in Texas for a short while when my husband and I got together (his family moved there) and it was really odd to have to BUY citrus. I really took it for granted. I missed it again when I lived in TN. Now I love that I can wander out to the pasture and fight the cows to get to the Parson Brown oranges, haha!
    There are a couple sourwood oranges here, a few parson browns and a few regular oranges and a big grapefruit tree out here along the fenceline on one side of the property. They are kinda buried in the brush and the cows try to eat every single one they can reach so we either pasture them elsewhere or try to beat them to the ones up high. Ever seen a cow stand on its hind legs to get to some moss or an orange? It's a really funny sight!
    I planted a dwarf lime tree (it's tiny but is loaded with limes) and a regular old orange tree in the back yard when we moved back. What's interesting is that down the road-about a mile and a half away there is a HUGE citrus nursery going in-it's set back in an old cow pasture and it is going to be quite an operation. I figure if the shtf we won't have to worry about a vitamin c deficiency out here!
    Along with the citrus we have a few fig trees growing and since they are so cheap out here I grabbed two more and planted those, along with 16 blueberry bushes that are acting fraudy as hell-I need to put some more pine mulch on them. I also planted a persimmon and a mulberry to replace the ancient ones that died in the past ten years. Now more waiting til I can eat persimmons and mulberries! Some of my earliest memories are of climbing the old mulberry tree, and eating handfuls of berries. It grew near an old well that pop had set up to irrigate the pasture for growing peas and corn. So he'd work on the pump and set irrigation pipe and I'd sit in the mulberry tree and eat bug ridden mulberries.
    We also have a ton of wild blackberries all over the property-which are home to lovely coveys of quail and of course the obligatory rattler. Good times out here!
    Daughter of a Ghost Town.

Comment

around the place 055.jpg Here ya go, Tex

Comment

Originally posted by VINCENT View Post
        i love it, beautiful property and great looking kids. i'll be diggin up yucca soon. my daughter Ayla will be helping. she my lil' farmer
        Vincent: I have never eaten or dug yucca, does it grow well out here?

Comment

I do have a calving question-ever had a big mama cow not bag up a whole lot before they give birth? We have a cow that is showing every sign but isn't bagging up so much. (she's one of our more reliable birthers) Just curious. Thanks!

Alot of times an older cow won't show any signs until right before she calves. A heifer having her first calf is liable to start making up in the back end and bag three weeks before she has her baby. I wouldn't worry about an older cow not making up too soon. Now, if she has her calf and still hasn't made up, then you need to worry.

Tex
          = 2
          sigpic

If we cannot define a simple word like greatness, how can we ever hope to use it as a measuring stick to know when we have risen beyond average?

Comment

Originally posted by southernmom View Post
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]662[/ATTACH] Here ya go, Tex

How many legs does that cow have? Just wonderin'
            I'm a ding bat & AA groupie

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]662[/ATTACH] Here ya go, Tex

How many legs does that cow have? Just wonderin'

I too have a little donkey. His name is Dinkey & we call him Tater Salad.
              I'm a ding bat & AA groupie

Comment

vincent: I have never eaten or dug yucca, does it grow well out here?
                it acutually grows wild here so yes. It grows here quite well. I plant mine but if i ever needed to forege there is plenty.

I have severl bags in the freezer if you want to stop buy and try some, plus i could give you some trimmings that will hold over the winter for planting in febuary.
                Whats's that smell? Is that me???

Comment

Vincent, What do you use the yucca for? I'm guessing you can eat it, although I have never heard of anyone doing that. Could you post some pics of the plant you are talking about, please? We have yucca that grows out here, but I would like to make sure we are talking about the same thing. If you eat it, how do you prepare it. I am very curious about this.

Cattlemen have fed their cattle prickly pear cactus in times of drought. All that is required is taking a weedburner and burning off all of the little thorns. I've heard of people eating it and actually liking it. In the book, "Ole Yeller", by Fred Gipson, the characters talk about taking a piece of prickly pear and rubbing it in the dirt and sand to rub the spines off in order to eat it. Some folks have said it is preety good. I've had prickly pear jelly, but I always considered it more of a novelty than a staple item. Do you use yucca in the same manner?

Tex
                  = 2
                  sigpic

If we cannot define a simple word like greatness, how can we ever hope to use it as a measuring stick to know when we have risen beyond average?

Comment

In Texas, the yucca root is peeled and used much as other roots. Try it instead of potato, or a nice crisp jicama. Make some fries, dices, or shreds to use.

You can also take a small piece of yucca root and dry it as dry as can be, and put it in your herbal medicines. The native tribes of the southwest would give it a quick chewing to loosen up the fibers and sort of "activate" it, start it into the mode where it's actively absorbing available moisture, and put it on snake bites and larger, oozing stings. It won't pull anything out of a mosquito or ant bite, but some of the largest wasps, the biggest spiders or scorpions, anything that leaves enough access for those fibers to draw in the venom. Kind of gross, "chew this and put it right on there." But if I got bit, I'd want to improve my chances in any way available.
                    quam minimum credula postero

Comment

ALSO KNOW AS CASSAVA. THE YUCCA IS GROWN ON MOST CONTINENTS.

NOT THE CACTUS THAT TEX WAS THINKING OF

Comment

We make fries, and chunks like diced potatos with it. The kids love it. Ive heard but never tried to make a flour from it. But we have mashed it and made fried patties. But most often its just cut into "steak fries" and fried in the cast iron. Jtjt likes to use olive oil or vegi oil, but i prefer bacon fat.

As for texs prickly pears, they are good eating, and also make good wine too. Not that i would partake anymore, but there was a winery close to where i grew up that made it.

Comment

Thanks for the info-definitely something I would like to try. Vincent-would some time after Thanksgiving, say the beginning of next week a good time to meet up? I go to Lake County almost every day (near okahumpka)

Comment

Some pics of the woods just a few miles from us-this is the hunting camp where I spent a LOT of my childhood. We still 'rent' the site every year for hunting season. Each big site has a shallow well and the hunting is pretty good.
                            If the shtf and we had to bug out, this would be the place to be with all the other rednecks
                            thanksgiving 2013 009.jpgthanksgiving 2013 029.jpgthanksgiving 2013 042.jpgthanksgiving 2013 048.jpg

Comment

Looks like a good area. I like it.
                              If you heard the shot you weren't the target!

Comment

Thanks for the info-definitely something I would like to try. Vincent-would some time after Thanksgiving, say the beginning of next week a good time to meet up? I go to Lake County almost every day (near okahumpka)
                                I'll pm you my phone number. i'm working all week, so if you dont mind coming down to the dealership i'll hook you up.

Comment

Working...
                                X