Checking in from Northeast IN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Checking in from Northeast IN

Ran across Going Home back in mid-July and I'm already half way through Enforcing Home, I cannot get enough of this series.

Relatively new to prepping and taking slow but steady steps in the right direction and thanks to this series it's giving me lots of things to consider as I take those steps.

Looking forward to learning a lot here in this community.

Welcome from WI

Comment

Hi J, Welcome from south central New Mexico. We're glad you found the series and us. Feel free to look around and join in on the conversations .

Have you built your GHB yet?
      Are you a licensed Ham radio operator, or at least interested in ham radio ?
      Defund the Media !!

Comment

Welcome from SE WV. Those books are very good reference material. If you read them more than once you will be surprised on what you missed the first time around and then you go "oh yeah, that's a great Idea," or "I got to get me one of those." Enjoy the community and come visit with us in the chat room. We have a good time there and we even learn something now and then.

Comment

Well, hi there!
          So what are things like in your neck of the woods these days? One of the best things about forums, is being able to compare notes with people in other states about various things.... overall economic situation, weather, differences in what you prep for (and how), etc.

Oh, and I'm coastal NC for a little while longer (trying to stay close to home during storm season) and then I'm headed a little north of Hsehtr88.

Comment

Hey justwaiting......

Thanks Kickstand......

Yes, I have my GHB and carry it daily in the truck...I'm a little worried that it might be a little heavy (about 55lbs), but I'm a pretty big guy and am used to packing a lot on back packing trips. I built it back in the spring after doing a lot of research on considerations for the bag. I think morgan would be happy with it although I am without the NVGs.

I haven't taken the step towards getting licensed as a Ham radio operator, but I have recently, largely thanks to the series, become interested in learning entering that arena. My initial research has revealed that there seem to be at least two clubs here in my area. I plan on reaching out to them over the next few weeks to see what they're about.

Thanks Hunter, I see you and I think along the same lines, when my wife asked why I was buying these books instead of getting them from the library I told her I was building a reference library....she just roller her eyes at me. I will definitely be reading through these again.

Hey Sacajawea. Things are pretty good in my section of the State, although in the book One Year After (am I allowed to mention that here), my area had a lot of gangs roving around and they sent the ANR in (only to be wiped out and a nuke detonated over CHI). The economy is fairly strong, the crops are looking really good this year and this past year the winter, spring and summer have all been fairly mild (although the prior two years, winter was long and cold with record snow fall). That's one of the things I've done for my GHB is to make sure I'm ready for the cold and have a shelter (tarp and tube tent) as well as several different fire starting options. I don't have a traditional sleeping bag with it but I do have a wool blanket along with a mylar bag hoping it would give me a few more options. From a home perspective, I've build a pretty hearty first aid kit and each of my kids and wife all have essential packs (knife, compass, fire starter, first aid kit etc, bare min) and we've started building up our food supply. Every week, we put a little something extra away. I really need to start thinking about water storage, but I have space constraints I have to deal with.
            Last edited by J Ram; 08-18-2016, 07:01 PM.

Comment

You should be able to access water from a relatively shallow well, with a handpump in your area. When the power goes out, you'll likely appreciate that access, close to your house and animals (if any). You will need to frostproof, of course.

Comment

Hello and Welcome from FL (not too far away from where Morgan lives in the books).

Comment

Welcome to the board J Ram. Glad you found us. It sounds like you're on your way pretty good already. I like the wool blanket in your kit, they served mankind far longer than the traditional sleeping bags we now think of.
                  I'm drunk tonith.

Comment

Thank you sir, this whole "Going Home" series as been an inspiration and an eye opener. I just finished up Avenging Home last night (after getting in Friday afternoon) and was happy as to how the conclusion came out, but sad that the saga was over. Guess I'll need to go order Charlie's Requiem now and start following him home. Maybe he'll run into some of Morgan's community along the way, and I can't wait to see how some of these "peace keepers" who've been sent to help develop. Much thanks for the series and support.

Comment

Working...
                    X