No announcement yet.

Hello from West Virginia, new to site

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The orange one in Pumpkin and the white one is Penny. They are my breading pair, although they won't be mature enough to breed for another year and they will only have 2 litters per year because that is how I want it. They can do three, but that puts to much wear and tear on the female and it shortens her life span. They are like having a pair of dogs. They come when you call them and they like to have their backs scratched.

Comment

Nice to meet ya from South Louisiana

Comment

Ladies, we have a big section for "Farming, Ranching and Homesteading". You are more than welcome to take this over there if you want. That way we don't have any potential good information hiding somewhere that folks can't find it. You are also encouraged to start a thread about your own homesteads so that people can learn what you do on your place and why you are doing it. Several folks have threads going, so they can detail the different challenges they face in their part of the country. We are all here trying to help one another and we enjoy picking up little tidbits of information that may help us on our own places.

It is good to have both of you here and we are looking forward to hearing about your homesteads.

Tex
        = 2
        sigpic

If we cannot define a simple word like greatness, how can we ever hope to use it as a measuring stick to know when we have risen beyond average?

Comment

[QUOTE=Tex;68586]Ladies, we have a big section for "Farming, Ranching and Homesteading". You are more than welcome to take this over there if you want.

OK Tex, sorry it's my fault, I got off track and drug Mickey with me. I will go there now.

Comment

Mickey, Come join me over in homesteading and we can continue this there.

Comment

It's no problem. Just trying to stir up some conversation over there so we can see what folks are doing on their places.

Tex
              = 2
              sigpic

If we cannot define a simple word like greatness, how can we ever hope to use it as a measuring stick to know when we have risen beyond average?

Comment

Originally posted by Joyce Hoffman-Gayley View Post

Even if some (no names) are a little bit different.
                Hi, I'm Wendy, and I'm seriously different. I like things that start fires, go boom, or are very sharp. The Roman's built Hadrian's wall because my ancestors scared the ever-lovin' crap out of them, so I guess I'm just old-fashioned.

Your chickens and piggies sound cool. Never heard of that kind of pigs before. Remember, dogs and cats earn their keep too, as alarm/deterrent systems & rodent control! If he wants pets, buy him some rabbits. Don't have to tell him it's a meat breed.
                quam minimum credula postero

Comment

Oh, I like the way you think! Hadrian's wall eh, I'm sensing a strong Scottish heritage there. I've always loved the idea that the Roman's who had conquered most of the known world had to protect themselves from those crazies. BTW, I'm married to one of those crazies.

I think it's kinda funny that it's Mickey & my husbands that are a bit squeamish about killing our "pets". Mine will prolly never know many he has eaten already and how many more he will in the future.

Comment

Joyce I think it's our German heritage working for us. Wendy I have 5 dogs & 10 cats also and they do earn their keep most of the time. The pigs are KuneKune's and they originally came from Australia I think. They don't get to be as big as the white market hogs, they can be about 150-250 pounds. They are fun to play with and they can make your day better when you have had a bad day.

Comment

hsehntr98, Bacon makes everyone's day better!!!

Comment

Amen to that!

Comment

Amen to that!

Comment

That was weird. The system resent a message I sent an hour and a half ago????

Comment

I guess the system REALLY agreed with your sentiment.
                              Defund the Media !!

Comment

I like bacon too, and ham and pork chops. But these are my breeders so they won't be in the freezer for a long time to come. The female can be productive for 9-10 years unless something happens to her health. then she becomes dinner.

Comment

Working...
                                X