Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Welcome from Ks

RD
    Sometimes I wrestle with my demons, other times we just snuggle.

Comment

Welcome brew. Good group of people and lots of experience to draw from. Now get to work on your Get Back Home Bag

Comment

Originally posted by kickstand View Post
        Something else to consider... are you a Ham (radio, not acting)? It can be an interesting hobby which just might become useful should the need arise.
        Have you read the Going Home series? Do you have a GHB?
        I don't know much about Ham Radio but I've seen it brought up on alot of forums. What's the advantage of it? If the grid goes down, doesn't this go down too? Please educate me on it, or point me to a link on it, if you don't mind.

I have a GHB, but I haven't been too serious about it. It's a backpack with some a couple of bottles of water, a can opener, a couple cans of food and not much else. I work 100 miles from home, so I figure it would take me about 3 days to hike home. I should really consider this more and map this out better.

My job situation stinks and I've been trying real hard to get a job near home. It's just not happening, but I recently lowered the salary that I'd want. It aint fun being a debt slave.

As far as my wife goes, she agrees with everything I tell her but she just doesn't want to think about it. It's really strange. She always says we'll deal with it when it happens. She doesn't worry about much and I'm the exact opposite. I got her a shotgun and she likes it. She's a better shot than I am. I'm right handed but left eye dominant and it screws me all up.

Right now, all my hobbies and prepping is on hold, until I find a job near home. I will work on my GHB though.

Comment

HAM radio is one reason we also talk about backup power. I have ways to run a few things, and a generator at fallback point 1. With the ability to talk over distances, we can find out just how extensive a problem is, and that information can tell you if it's worth the time and effort to leave home.

Why would I leave Texas for Wyoming if things are just as bad at dad's house? Maybe I just need to know how things are there, as I might send word tell him to load up mom and head south, or go tuck mom into the camper, park it at Tex's, and help protect the herd and give that old dad advice that we all miss when we need it most.

We have to have water, shelter, and food for our bodies, but communications give us information to plan our tomorrows more effectively.
          quam minimum credula postero

Comment

If you read book one you understand how ham radio works and what it can do. All you need is battery power charged with a solar panel( just like Morgan did on his way home) a radio and an antenna and you can talk around the world. It all can be carried in a 12x12x12 box/bag/backpack. Weight ~ 6-10 lbs.

Comment

Brew,
              You might check out our "Comms" section, aka www.preparedham.com It's run by our own AD.
              As for ham going down with the grid, only if your setup requires A/C power, and you have no means of backup power. Many radios are 12v, so all you need is a 12v source, not necessarily the size/weight of a car battery.
              The entry level ham license (Technician) gives you operating privileges on UHF/VHF radio frequencies, used for local comms. You can pick up a brand new Handheld transceiver from Amazon for about $35 bucks. As with anything, you can always spend more.

The next step up (General) gives you HF (High Frequency) operations. HF rigs are a fair amount pricier, but these are the radios that you can use to talk to the next town, next county, next state, etc, all around the world. Do you have family and/or friends that you'd like to have contact with, should the grid go down?
              Please don't feel like I/we are badgering you. Some of the top brass on this board haven't gotten their licenses yet (ahem!). You asked for ideas/input, so we're giving you some.
              Defund the Media !!

Comment

Brew, you were saying you haven't been working on any hobbies. Ham Radio would be a cool one and it should be right your alley. You'll understand the technical stuff better than me. I have some weird block about anything a/v -- if it's not software my brain just shuts down. But I'm working on it; I don't think it's all as difficult as I think it is. See, if I go back and study this winter, we can both get licenses and then talk to each other! My place would be a good line of sight to Va, since most of that distance is water or swamp.

Comment

Welcome to the fray sir.... Keep working on the wife. The way the world is, keep her watching current events and soon enough, she will see the forest for the trees, as it were....
                  Liberty is NOT a privilege, it is a RIGHT

Comment

Welcome. Prayers for you & your wife's health. When you watch something particularly mind blowing, turn the volume up so she can hear it. Leave the computer on with what you were currently viewing & perhaps she will begin to watch these things in earnest. That is honestly part of what brought me here. I know Pat did that stuff on purpose lol. At first, I raised my eyebrows a lot & said, "Um, ok". Then I became curious & listened to whatever he was listening to. Then I became curious about all of the stuff on the desktop & looked that up too. Then, well I just couldn't stop & here I am! lol
                    Revelation 3:16, Ecclesiastes 4:9-12

Comment

Sorry I'm late to the party Brew, welcome to the board. Ignore most of these guys, but do get your HAM ticket, I'm studying for mine. No, I don't have it, as much as I hate to admit this, AD was the sole source of the HAM stuff for the books. He's a good guy though, just make sure you sleep on a separate floor from him.
                      I'm drunk tonith.

Comment

Howdy and welcome from AZ

Comment

Welcome brew.

I strongly recommend what Red Sonya relayed regarding getting your other half on board and leading by doing. It becomes part of your lifestyle versus a project.
                          And yes, I've spent my time in the barrel because I do not yet have my HAM but RD's and my son does (junior125).
                          Pastemistress. Now aka Mimi

Comment

HI Brew Ya made it!

Comment

Sorry Brew, I'm always late. I think it was kick that said...everytime you go to the store, just buy a bag of rice and a bag of beans. They last the longest. Then work your way into more and more long term food. Then you can start getting a few packs of seeds here and there, then some small solar lights etc. You can build up a supply pretty quick and for not too much money. My husband is not a prepper, but he lets me prep and supports it. He thinks we will have time if shf. I need to send him to the store when an inch or more of snow is predicted. Let him see how the shelves empty out and how quickly. Anyway, you are the right path so far. Welcome from me too.

I'm a ding bat & AA groupie

Comment

Working...
                              X