X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Welcome!

Kelly

Comment

Welcome to the nut house Troy! Nice you see you got hooked into reading, not a bad set of books to start off on either. Join us in chat sometime. Always good so see another tarheel around here. Still need a few more to catch up with those crazy Floridians, and be careful they do bite.
      http://www.nstactical.com For all your prepping, tactical, freeze dried food, first aid, surplus, water filtration, and body armor needs!

Comment

I thought I was the only one around here who bites?
        quam minimum credula postero

Comment

Thanks again for the welcome! Already discovered WAY too many folks that are like myself which...not sure is a good thing or not

Comment

Great belated welcome, Troy.

P.S. Dollar tree has 3.0mm lens readers. I scooped up ten just in case and I use them to see daily, not just read.

P.P.S. We're all like co-dependent heroin addicts here, waiting for Angery to give us our next fix
            You're still walking free. Enjoy it while you can.
            Homesite: http://millenniummangear.com
            Twitter: https://twitter.com/millenniumgear

Comment

Thanks MM

I've found where the real circus peanuts hide out (chat)

My wife's gonna be PISSED I found more lunatics that are like me.....she already thinks I'm too hard to handle as it is

Comment

Caster, sounds like a slow conversion is needed. Are y'all coastal or mountain? Get her to admit the biggest obvious preparedness need (blizzard/hard freeze or storm/flooding) and get her to "help" you meet that need, 'cause you're just a guy, no idea if any of your camping & fishing stuff would be useful, etc. Draw her in with whatever works on her.

If she doesn't like the dark when power lines are down, a few "decorative" oil lamps might be a suitable addition to the house, and emergency candles handy too. If she's more the sort to worry that the closest tree is going to take out chunks of a wall in crazy winds, the tree trimming & wood cutting tools are in order, with a few large tarps, and some frogg toggs in case you ever need the tarps. You know her best, you can do it.
                Last edited by W.Lynn; 12-17-2013, 05:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by W.Lynn View Post
                  Caster, sounds like a slow conversion is needed. Are y'all coastal or mountain?

We're in the middle. Piedmont area of NC...JUST shy of the foothills. I.E i can jump on my bike and be at some extreme kiss-me-back curves in less than 45 minutes

You know her best, you can do it.
                  My wife is amazing, and would support me in whatever venture I would want to pursue.

She see's whats going on....she's well aware there's going to be a breaking point. But my wife and I were both raised southern baptists...meaning we believe there's a heaven, and we believe in God. When the STHTF she will be more than willing to check out and meet her maker than struggle and attempt to "survive".

Ever see Deep Impact? Téa Leoni's character chooses to drive out to her father and meet the 600mph 300ft tall wave head-on instead of run for the mountain and attempt to "survive". That's my wife. She would much rather check out and meet her maker than live like Mel has too.

This is where I struggle. I don't struggle with faith. I know where I'm going when I die. But....I have too much survivor in me to resolve to check out so easily. This....THIS is where we differ. THIS...is the struggle.

Comment

I see both sides. She has children and eventually grandchildren to live for and foster faith in so that it may prevail. God provided us with the brains and tools of survival for a reason. But I am sure you have already went down that path.
                    Silence in the face of evil is itself evil: God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act.”
                    Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Comment

I was raised in the same church, and while "when it's time, it's time, and go to a well-deserved rest," I think scripture is pretty clear that we have work and striving to do before we go. Our kids and grandkids deserve the best example we can be to them, in our willingness to work for life, to guide and help them, and to have something meaningful to leave behind to help them when the we do go to our rest.

My daughter has started helping to prep, as much as she can with the small boys "helping." The son and daughter in law are wrapping their heads around it, setting health goals, actively working on them, and getting informed on important topics, etc. Even the oldest grandson has embraced a love of the fact that anyone can just make food happen, he loves it, he already gardens, and wants meat animals and egg layers.

Amongst them, not much in primitive skills (non-powered, no engineering required, etc.) But we're getting there. If what I can do is mentor them, and stockpile the things that make a transition more survivable, then I'll do those things. Hopefully the small ones will continue to be interested.
                      Last edited by W.Lynn; 12-17-2013, 10:30 PM.

Comment

Even the oldest grandson has embraced a love of the fact that anyone can just make food happen,

hunt-for-food-where-sandwiches-live.jpg

The boy has been hunting...right now doing well in school, track, and his girlfriend occupy enough stress in his life. However, I love the fact that he comes home after school and we can discuss current events he's learned about in political science class. I think he's slowly realizing what we're up against.

My girls? Well...teenage girls have enough drama in their lives to frustrate a seasoned soap opera actor. I'm hesitant to introduce world around them that they're oblivious too for fear that it would be a little too much of a jagged pill to swallow at this time.

I think scripture is pretty clear that we have work and striving to do before we go
                        You're absolutely correct. Had the Hebrews been content to wait it out, they never would have left Egypt.

Personally I'm hopeful of a "pre-tribulation" rise like what we see in the "Left Behind" series. My wife is of that camp as well. However...I'm preparing for a "Post-Tribulation" scenario where we have to ride out the 7 years.

Comment

A lot of people like to teach a pre-trib rapture, I think because that's the only way to sugar-coat what's coming. When I was young, that was what everyone wanted to tell me.

But I just don't see it that way when I read whole chapters, instead of little snips.
                          Last edited by W.Lynn; 12-18-2013, 09:11 AM.

Comment

Yeah my last pastor, and very good personal friend taught that the bible wasn't clear on either. That his HOPE was for a pre-trib, but that we were assured of nothing in Revelation to indicate that was the way it'd be.

He wouldn't ever SAY his opinion in the open because that would be too influential (he taught what the bible SAID...not his opinion on it)......but he and I had numerous discussions and MY belief is that it wouldn't be SO VERY DETAILED if we weren't going to have to endure it. It's my belief that we're given incite as to whats coming so we CAN be prepared, and not be taken by surprise. Worst case...if I'm wrong, hey it's a BONUS!

Comment

Working...
                            X