Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TheWatchmanNews
    replied
    What is the wattage of your motor and controller? Ours are 1000W which is not technically legal in the US but they have 2 blue wires you can connect together to knock it down to the US legal limit of 750 watts. Im guessing you may have a 500 what 36V setup. Correct me if im wrong. Your bugout distance would be a huge issue. My bugout place is more than local (kind of an inside joke lol). We have extremely limited income so building up anything takes time however the plan is to get a 100 or 120 watt solar panel, charge controller, and maybe a couple more 20AH cells (we have 2 extra now due to me starting to buy the lead acid batteries for my bike which wound up with a Li-ion pack) and a 1000 watt inverter that i can plug the chargers into. I have a foldable 28W solar panel now but it would take forever to charge the batteries. I think they rated the solar panel at being 5 feet from the sun lol. It certainly struggles to get up to 28 watts. If we have the funds in time we plan to get a trailer to pull behind my bike. Since someone in our household cant stand to be apart from us lol.

24209740_10155663023667605_147405564_o.jpg

Leave a comment:

• apache235
    replied
    My wife and I have almost the same equipment, only our battery packs are not hand made and top speed is only about 20 MPH. That said, they are NOT our prime means of escape as we have between 120 and 150 miles to the BOL (depending on route) and neither one of us is in shape to peddle that far and at our age we likely wont be. BUT - the trike can carry a fairly large pack and as a backup I think they are a viable idea.

Leave a comment:

• TheWatchmanNews
    started a topic SHTF Alternative Transportation

SHTF Alternative Transportation

I thought id share this with you all in case you havent seen them. I have a bit of a unique and challenging situation to deal with if SHTF. Neither my girlfriend or myself drive. So having a vehicle in a SHTF event is not a likely situation. However on top of the minor issue i have another issue. Both of our health. I have a pretty nasty case of COPD so i cannot go very far very fast on foot. My girlfriend Jen has cerebral palsy and walks with forearm crutches. I had to come up with a form of transportation for everyday situations not to mention a SHTF event. Being the tinkerer that i am i was going to build her an electric bike. When i had the extra money to get the parts i went to go make up a parts list and found a better alternative. A DIY wheel kit. It was actually a bit cheaper than if i bought the parts separate and i would still have to fight with mounting everything and aligning everything. I found these kits on ebay for the front wheel so it was easy to install on my 2 wheel bike and her 3 wheel adult trike. She is running 4 20AH lead acid cells (48V) and i built myself a battery pack using 117 used laptop battery 18650 cells and a 13S BMS (battery management system) for like $16 on ebay. They have a range of near 30 miles on a charge and will go about 28 miles per hour. They are also very very quiet to run. They make a pretty good choice for transportation and you can get spare motor controllers pretty cheap in case you want to stow some away in a faraday enclosure. Here is a picture of our bikes.

20904503_10155399178047605_600585758_o.jpg
Working...
X