Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• W.Lynn
    replied
    Texas State Fair, home of ”You can't fry X" ”Oh yeah? Hold my beer and watch me."

Deep fried Twinkies and Oreos are sad. I hope the red velvet cupcakes are better.

Leave a comment:

• 0utlaw
    replied
    Same here most festivals are early spring while the weather is still cool. It's Oct 1st and it was 98° today and hunting season starts next week so spring is really the only time to get good attendance.

Leave a comment:

• airdrop
    replied
    Most things have come and gone , tractor shows , sawdust days in Hemlock Mi , Bay City hosts the tall ships, ships sail in from around the great lakes /with tours . Also in Bay City the River of time days have civil war , revolutionary war , French Fur Traders and Voyageurs with trading booths , canon shoots , bands of the days .

Leave a comment:

• Sacajawea
    replied
    That's a lot like where I am CW. But sometimes that's "big news" for where you are. Kinda a slice of life around the country, if people post the stuff going on around them. Our paper includes visits from family, in the tiny little "corners" that have a name, but don't show up on maps. Elections and events at local clubs, etc.

I consider it an antidote to the other kind of "news". The commercial/propaganda kind.

Leave a comment:

• Cwi555
    replied
    Not a lot happens around here that gets a news link. If it's a slow news day, something might make Chattanooga, Knoxville, or Nashville news, but for the most part, the local news amounts to social networking.
    That is not to say nothing happens, but your more apt to hear about it through the farmers market, barber shop, or local feed bags.

Leave a comment:

• kickstand
    replied
    Although neither really interest me, this week is the Southern New Mexico State Fair down here. Next week kicks off the Albuquerque International (hot air) Balloon Fiesta. It's supposed to be one of the largest balloon gatherings in the world. It is a sight to see, especially the Mass Ascension.

Leave a comment:

• Sacajawea
    replied
    That sounds like a good time Joe.

Leave a comment:

• Boston_Joe
    replied
    Local news, Hmmmmmm. I''l have to check with Andy and the boys down at Floyd's barber shop tomorrow and see whats going on.

There is a BBQ festival later this month down in Abbeville. I heard they're even going to have a Beer garden! Q and beer? I'm there.

Abbeville Hogs and Hens

Leave a comment:

• Sacajawea
    started a topic Local News! Post the big doins' here

Local News! Post the big doins' here

So what's going on in your necks of the woods? We're from all over, and I thought it would be fun to talk about the "big news" in our localities. Lord knows, there's no other way we'd know since it seems media has been given free rein to make everything about politics and the snowflake insanity/stupidity epidemic.

Here's something around me that all these years - and even with my involvement with the Shenandoah Battlefields Foundation - that I've never actually gone to. It's coming up in a couple weeks. Where I lived, every October included the sound of cannon fire, coming up Rt 11 to where I lived. The actual event is about 15 miles south of there.

The Cedar Creek Battlefield Foundation is a non-profit organization dedicated to the acquisition, preservation, and protection of lands relating to the Battle of Cedar Creek.

The "flavor" of this event and the history around it permeates the area - despite Winchester's being a shopping mecca for 3 states these days. There are other smaller events all year round - some of them about the French & Indian wars instead. I want to spend some time in the Quartermaster's area... lots of good non-electric stuff to be found, I'm sure.

One of our student projects wound up being the genesis for the "Stories of the War in the Valley" on the ccbf website.
Working...
X