X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Celt
    replied
    [/I]. I'm wired way too tight to just go where the wind takes me. [/QUOTE]

So what you are tryin to say is you aren't some kinda hippie feel-good leftist?

Leave a comment:

• Cwi555
    replied
    Originally posted by Kailani Kealoha View Post
    From the looks of it, we might finally be getting our new telescope on Mauna Kea. I'm kind of conflicted. I'm a Native Hawaiian so it's important to me that they don't allow EVERYTHING to be built up there. On the other hand, I love astronomy, so I'll call it a tie.

http://www.skyandtelescope.com/astro...ter-telescope/
    Location is everything for something like that. There might be a handful of places suitable for it, only one of which is in the U.S.

Leave a comment:

• Kailani Kealoha
    replied
    From the looks of it, we might finally be getting our new telescope on Mauna Kea. I'm kind of conflicted. I'm a Native Hawaiian so it's important to me that they don't allow EVERYTHING to be built up there. On the other hand, I love astronomy, so I'll call it a tie.

http://www.skyandtelescope.com/astro...ter-telescope/

Leave a comment:

• Sacajawea
    replied
    Well - I halfway expected something like this at the Battle of Cedar Creek Re-enactment. Couldn't find anyone to go with anyway. It's been cancelled. THANKS ANTIFA.

The site for the Cedar Creek Battlefield re-enactment was evacuated Saturday evening after a "suspicious package" was found, according to a spokesperson with the Frederick County Sheriff's Office.

Leave a comment:

• W.Lynn
    replied
    Originally posted by kickstand View Post
    You're a mean woman W.Lynn. Funny, but mean. I wouldn't have it any other way .
    Some friendships are strange and unique. No hurry figuring out which one of us is which (but I never leaned into an outboard motor with the cowl off.)

Leave a comment:

• Cwi555
    replied
    Originally posted by kickstand View Post
    Pic stolen from FB. I tried balooning once. Once. It's not my cup o' tea. I'm wired way too tight to just go where the wind takes me.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]8571[/ATTACH]

There are definitely dumber things to do. Too me the balloon ride was anticlimactic as it was after working on broadcast towers and cooning high rise steel. Looking back I have to qualify those things as dumber than the balloon ride.

Leave a comment:

• kickstand
    replied
    You're a mean woman W.Lynn. Funny, but mean. I wouldn't have it any other way .

Leave a comment:

• W.Lynn
    replied
    Kick, let's be honest here, unless you have some unbelievable insurance, if you got hurt by willingly going up in one and then crashing down, you wouldn't have a leg to stand on.

Leave a comment:

• kickstand
    replied
    Pic stolen from FB. I tried balooning once. Once. It's not my cup o' tea. I'm wired way too tight to just go where the wind takes me.

AbqFiesta.jpg

Leave a comment:

• olfart
    replied
    The headline on our local paper today says, "Commissioner Court Declares Oct. 1 - 7 4-H Week". There won't be another headline until next Wednesday when the next paper comes out. Upcoming events include the Cullen Baker Fair (named for a notorious Robin Hood outlaw) will be November 4, which coincides with opening day of deer season. It gives all the "deer widows" a place to go and spend money while the guys are out getting drunk and/or chasing Bambi.

Here's a view of the Cullen Baker Fair parade from a couple of years ago.

Cullen Baker Parade 1.jpg

Leave a comment:

• kickstand
    replied
    Originally posted by sawyerrt10 View Post
    There's a group of about 30 of us going here--> https://www.carolina.renfestinfo.com/ the end of October. 3rd year in a row for me!

Sawyer, you and the Mrs should make it interesting. ..

cbc0130.jpg

Leave a comment:

• southernmom
    replied
    There is a fair bit going on out in this area, actually. There is a massive hwy expansion that will change the face of our ghost town. (What remains of it-3 churches and a super old general store that closed in the 80's). GRRRRRRR. They plan to eminent domain houses that have been in families for almost a century. Right down the road. This expansion is loosely tied to the village's endeavor that has destroyed the ag in this area and is depleting the aquifer....and has pulled eminent domain and displaced a lot of 'poor folks'. The villages has completely taken over the little town we just moved from and torn down the old store fronts that were there since the 1880's or so. It used to look like a proper old ghost town, now it will look like another playground for rich transplants. It sickens me...and most all this was done under a sketchy 'one vote' that was passed in the mid 90's. Well a few of us have found out that this 'one county' vote is actually not legal in the strictest sense because it keeps minorities and locals who aren't rich from being heard....so a call was put in and hopefully this one vote nonsense will be overturned and the villages rape of our county will end.

Leave a comment:

• W.Lynn
    replied
    Originally posted by Boston_Joe View Post
    Deep fried butter on a stick. Lightly coated with panko and wrapped with bacon of course.
    For the clueless maybe, freeze the butter, egg wash so the panko sticks, freeze again if you aren't working in a walk-in refrigerator, wrap, fry, wow.

My thing is marshmallows. I had made plantain fritters, excellently, and the pot was at a perfect temperature (difficult enough, for campground cooking,) and I had batter left. My son asked if I could batter and fry marshmallows. I did, they were good. Very important to remember marshmallows start to swell when they heat up, so don't push them over to cook the batter on top right away, you want that flexible. Then turn, and take them out as soon as that side is done, the marshmallow should be very gooey. If you cook too long, it melts all the way, and soaks into the waffle or pancake batter you're using, still tasty, but hollow as a politician's promises.

Leave a comment:

• sawyerrt10
    replied
    There's a group of about 30 of us going here--> https://www.carolina.renfestinfo.com/ the end of October. 3rd year in a row for me!

Leave a comment:

• Boston_Joe
    replied
    Originally posted by W.Lynn View Post
    Texas State Fair, home of ”You can't fry X" ”Oh yeah? Hold my beer and watch me."

Deep fried Twinkies and Oreos are sad. I hope the red velvet cupcakes are better.
    Deep fried butter on a stick. Lightly coated with panko and wrapped with bacon of course.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X