No announcement yet.

Hurricane Matthew

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tortillas are a good flat bread option. You'd be surprised how many flat bread recipes work well in that form.

We have those for making them. Cooking them can be done in many ways, including over a fire.
    When the present determines the future, but the approximate present does not approximately determine the future: Edward Lorenz

Comment

Originally posted by Sacajawea View Post
      If y'all are looking at the radar pics - notice how close Nicole is getting to Matthew. Makes me uneasy.

ETA!
      just jumped out to NHC - the 2 pm update has Nicole upgraded to a hurricane.
      With the caveat that I'm no expert on this, it would appear there is ample reason to be worried.

When the present determines the future, but the approximate present does not approximately determine the future: Edward Lorenz

Comment

Hmmm. The two storms are 832.9 miles apart. (Less, in nautical miles.)

Comment

Made a run this am to just west of Gainesville to batten down at deer camp. Gas was about .25 a gal higher than 3 days ago and the small towns I went through had lines at the gas stations. Heard the clerk inside say they were running out for the second time in2 days. Folks filling cans, gennys, cars, and truck tanks. Had a tailwind going home though! Y'all stay safe and hunker down, tomorrows going to be a doozy! Just saw on the local weather the track by early next week may hook around and come back at us!
          People without any brains do an awful lot of talking. Don't they?!
          ~the Scarecrow from the Wizard of Oz

Comment

I've been and couldn't get to this. We're about 50 miles from the coast and should get 60-70 MPH winds. But we're ready. I have the generator already wired in and waiting. I keep about 45gallons of gas on hand but added another 20, just in case. We're as set as we can get. It was funny watching everyone run around. We didn't need to add anything really. I'll post throughout the night.
            I'm drunk tonith.

Comment

Yall be safe . It sure is nice to not have to run to the store when everyone else is.
              Defund the Media !!

Comment

This am we still have power and so far just a bit breezy, grey and rainy.
                Daughter of a Ghost Town.

Comment

Cousin who lives 1 block from atlantic ocean in Daytona still has power! Storm surge is 5 ft so he has no flooding yet! Wind gusts 65 mph, expected to get 70 to 90 soon!
                  People without any brains do an awful lot of talking. Don't they?!
                  ~the Scarecrow from the Wizard of Oz

Comment

We still have power and our house isn't harmed. Our fence is a different story. It's kinda leaning now. Anyone in the area know a good, affordable fence company? Not sure if we will get insurance involved or not. Doesn't seem worth it just for a fence. Had we had a few broken windows or something it would be a different story.

Comment

First thoughts and prayers with all of you in the affected areas, I hope you continue to stay safe.

Second, are you seeing anything with the evacuations or Federal Emergency responses that may give us insight to how they might handle a larger scale type event? I'm curious as to how those activities might line up with how things went in the books.

Comment

I have seen no evacuations, personally, nor have there been any in this area. We are about 100miles (or a bit less) west from mandatory evac zone.
                        Daughter of a Ghost Town.

Comment

Originally posted by southernmom View Post
                          I have seen no evacuations, personally, nor have there been any in this area. We are about 100miles (or a bit less) west from mandatory evac zone.

It was bad enough in some places to trip the waffle house index.

Comment

Heavy rain and a lot of wind here so far...maintaining alert status lol
                            According to my watch the time is now
                            Past is dead and gone
                            Don't try to shake it just nod your head
                            Breathe In, Breathe Out, Move On - Jimmy Buffett

Comment

Wind's picking up here; still dry; sun was out this morning. EOC activated and hams managing open repeaters in Buxton & KDH (Kill Devil Hills) for local reports.

Comment

OK - we're only half through this storm, this morning. According to NHC, the storm is a sub-tropical cyclone now... but we're to expect up to hurricane strength wind... which is causing power to blip around the area. My printer woke me up at 1 am going through it's start-up chugging & beeps.

Lots of 'net traffic (and organizational confusion) this morning.

We're going to have this storm ALL DAY; and contrary to all forecasts - Norfolk/Va Beach is also getting hit pretty good. The radar showed rain as far north as Baltimore and PA last night. Matthew ain't turning yet. Following the coast.

Comment

Working...
                                X