Been a While.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sac,
    Aren't there electronic ignition controls before that even? I thought that Dad's 78 Olds had electronics and so did Mom's 74 Buick estate wagon, but I may be totally off on that. I know the wagon had a carb, and so did her ford in 78.

Comment

Red they may have had electronic Ignitions. But with out getting to technical I'll leave that up to our actual mechanics on here. Their different than cars with brains and or electronic fuel injection systems. EI systems can be converted easily back to the points and coil systems.

Comment

Might be; I don't know for sure on this jeep. It was extensively rebuilt for support to brush firefighters. This involved a lot of heavy-duty parts replacement and redundant systems. Still has manual brakes, though... and I'm willing to take a chance on it.

Comment

89 you should be able to put a traditional distributor and carb on

heck one thing you could do is keep a backup ECM/TCM in a faraday box and just swap em out

Comment

I assume it has the 258 engine in it. From the factory it would have had a solid state module for ignition but would be very easy to retrofit to points.
            I would buy an igntion module and pickup coil and keep in a small Faraday cage.
            ColdSteel

Comment

On the raptor your screwed because that thing has too many modules!

Comment

The 89 can be converted to carb. I have heard of a bunch of guys doing that if it goes out.

I did not realize that EI could be swapped.
                Last edited by redman2006; 08-12-2015, 03:52 PM.

Comment

The Ford would be tough to swap over because it don't have a place for a distributor and almost everything on it is computer controlled. The Jeep on the other hand would be sweet to have in case of an EMP or CME !

Comment

Even a 72 Plymouth had a computer and electronic distributor. No EMP required, they were so unreliable I carried a couple of spares of each.

Comment

I know I am new here. I hope I didn't step on any toes.

ColdSteel

Comment

CS, this place is like a swimming hole - you don't find out how deep it is without jumping in.
                        quam minimum credula postero

Comment

Lol I hear ya!

Comment

Wow. Bazankga truck. Very adaptable.

Comment

If there aren't any caves to be found, find property with a cool running stream or a natural spring. You can keep insulin cool that way as well. Hugs to Littlel Bit.
                              NICHEVO

Comment

I liked the news at that link I posted. I'd rather see people worrying "can they travel to get that treatment or will it get approved here?" than having to worry about "will my kid adjust ok, and what could I do if (Katrina, big quake, major war, etc?)"
                                quam minimum credula postero

Comment

Working...
                                X