No announcement yet.

Stove

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know the stove question is not about SHTF, however.... You CAN light the oven with a match in most new gas ranges (but be sure to eyeball it before you buy it). Even if you cannot use it for baking/roasting, it CAN be used in a pinch if the electric goes out and you have no heat.

Just light the oven and crank it up to 400 - leaving the oven door open so it never goes 'off'. That, along with a large pot of water simmering on the stove top can keep a couple small rooms nicely heated until power is restored.

Ask me how I know...

Kelly

Comment

Double plus good on keeping the wood cookstove. I'm not worried about woodsmoke; it'll be a common aroma around those parts and already is. They don't know what "E P A" stands for and don't care either.

Comment

I had to stop my dad from throwing away one he found in the cabin he bought. I claimed it mine mine mine!!!! Suddenly he decided to keep it, it's in the basement of the cabin.

Supposedly the cabin will be mine at some point.
        "Oh, America. I wish I could tell you that this was still America, but I've come to realize that you can't have a country without people. And there are no people here. No, my friends. This is now the United States of Zombieland"

Comment

Thanks guys. I guess I will check them out and price it. At this point, I am just not sure it is worth the expense. I just don't like being dependent on all electric. I like some of these ideas. I am pretty sure that I am going to go electric and back it up with a secondary source.

I really need to find a way to get this wood stove set up.

Comment

Redman, We recently had to buy a new stove. I absolutely hate electric ranges, but was told the only way we would get a gas range was if I completely took over the cooking duties. She ended up getting one of those glass top outfits that has a convection something or other in the oven.

I HATE THIS THING

I did use the argument about the power being out, but was then reminded of the backups I have. Then I was reminded about the backups to the backups. As everyone who frequents this board knows, we enjoy going to auctions. The deals a person can find are oftentimes amazing. Alot of people go to auctions to find that one little unique item, yet they pass by on some really good deals. A while back, we were at an auction and I picked up a good washer and drier for five bucks. I also got a Monarch brand wood/electric range for $30. The Hostile Native bought a small 1930's vintage gas stove for $5 or $10, I can't recall which now. They are sitting in the barn as backup if they are ever needed. Most people will see these type buys at an auction and will think they are a good deal, but will completely pass them buy simply because they don't want the hassle of hauling them home.

Besides the extra stoves, we have some two-burner cast iron stoves that are used for chicken processing, as well as camping. I also have a couple of the small two-burner Coleman camp stoves. And don't discount the ability of those little stoves. Back when I was still running the roads all over the country chasing welding jobs, I could rustle up alot of grub on the small camp stoves. More than a few times I would feed 20-30 people with a small portable propane grill, two-burner propane Coleman Camp Stove and a 12qt dutch oven. Using just a couple extra dutch ovens, I have fed full branding crews with that setup and that includes the cobblers for desert.

Don't overthink this. Having a big concrete pad to set your tank on is great, but you don't have to have one. Juts having some solid footers for it is plenty sufficient. The line to the house is no biggie either. It needs to be completely buried, but it doesn't have to be below the frost line. You can usually find some great deals on propane during summer months and if you have enough storage, you won't have to worry about buying gas in the winter. If you decide to go electric though, check out the local sale papers or auctions and pick up a used propane stove and get a big bottle to keep on hand. With frugal use, this will keep you going for quite a while.

Tex
            = 2
            sigpic

If we cannot define a simple word like greatness, how can we ever hope to use it as a measuring stick to know when we have risen beyond average?

Comment

I really liked the alcohol stove option.

I take into consideration, that someday in the not too distant future - electricity will become BOTH so expensive and intermittent enough in availability - that it's time for me to start weaning myself off of it. More than just the casual meal cooking, I mean. It is easy to get up when it's light and go to bed when it's dark. There are ways to stay warm/cool without electricity (and this summer, a/c is trying but it simply can't keep up... so far, no brown outs here at the beach; but they're not unknown).

I sure hope all those microwaves out there do have some faraday cage abilities - otherwise they'll just be boxes of bolts and electronics.

I find it funny how terrified some people are of power outages. It's inconvenient - and sometimes uncomfortable, like after a hurricane (hot & humid; it can't get much worse here than it's been the last 2 months unless the sky just seeps water) -- but not having electricity technically isn't life threatening. Yep; we have to adjust and remember that flipping a switch isn't going to turn a light on... and have taken steps to provide for ways to flush toilets, wash dishes & ourselves, keep hydrated & cook. It's really not a big deal.

Only thing I tend to forget (and I just reminded myself) is to check the batteries I keep on hand for certain things. Battery management is a real PIA... so we're slowly moving to rechargeables & solar rechargeables.

Comment

Thanks Tex.

I have not been to auctions in years. I just have not had the time. It sounds like I need to make the time.

The one I have is a glass top. It is slower to heat than the old coil stoves and you are sol if you bump it too hard with cast iron. The top also acts like a heat sink for pans that extend over the edge of the burner. The big canner takes forever to heat.

On the subject of the chicken processing, do you have a plucker, or do it it by hand? Our fall project is a coop and 100 birds.

Comment

In looking for options, I stumbled on something that just saved me a bundle.

I had no idea these were out there. I found mine at a chain sporting goods store for $17. I can use 1lb tanks or the converter you guys told me about with my old 3 burner coleman suitcase style stove. It seems to work really well.

I just thought I would pass this along.

Comment

I have a LPG stove and I am looking for another one only "apartment size" for my new place. I have my gas stove hooked up to 20#LPG bottles and one bottle lasts me a couple of months easily. I have several bottles and larger 40# too. I am by myself, so I don't use it like I would if I had a family to cook for.

If you are thinking about LP, don't forget that some refrigerators run on propane too. Some camper refrigerators run on 12v, LPG & 120v, just turn a switch.
                    Last edited by Kessler; 08-09-2015, 06:32 PM.
                    Kessler
                    I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure....
                    INCOMING GUNFIRE ALWAYS HAS THE RIGHT-OF-WAY!

Comment

The issue with LPG fridges is they aren't really designed for "extreme" use.. the DC only ones will typically perform much better. Typically storing meat should be at 0 degrees F, and some do not quite get that cold. Here is an interesting article, and a nice feature comparison chart you may find useful.

Comment

Working...
                      X