No announcement yet.

Spent the summer in the Winds.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some of my climbing gear. I have several favorite hiding spots up there that are completely inaccessible without it. No body without ropes and some skill will get anywhere near me. There are also some bitchen firing positions near by. With the 300 Win Mag the contest will begin at 1,000 yards.

Comment

Originally posted by SkiwM1A View Post
      Ya got me real curious about yer books Tex. Titles? Authors?
      I can damn sure show ya where it may be. What kinda gems do ya think may be up there?
      Check your email in a bit, Ski.
      I sent you some links.

Ski, are you having trouble loading pics? I think you should be able to load up to nine pictures per post. If you have trouble, let me know and I will try to help you out.

Does anyone have the link to the pic posting thread? Someone started a thread recently giving good instructions on how to best load pictures. I can't remember who did it, or where they did it.

Tex
      = 2
      sigpic

If we cannot define a simple word like greatness, how can we ever hope to use it as a measuring stick to know when we have risen beyond average?

Comment

No trouble at all Tex. I just do it that way. I like to look at my posts prior to loading them.

Comment

So, if anything steps on the branches you hear it for one thing... and for another bears would avoid stepping on crunchy sticks if they have a choice... I think.

Comment

When you were here, you brought a couple different packs for me to look at and you said that you spent most of your time in the mountains last summer with the smaller of the two. You also said that was the one you recommended that I get if I go with you this summer.

Was it the Timberline 1?

Or the Timberline 2?

Is this the frame and suspension system that you used?

Tex
            = 2
            sigpic

If we cannot define a simple word like greatness, how can we ever hope to use it as a measuring stick to know when we have risen beyond average?

Comment

Do tell Ski...what is all the wood doing around your tent???

I always love your posts, so please keep postin' ole great one!!!
              I'm a ding bat & AA groupie

Comment

Originally posted by SkiwM1A View Post

Some of my climbing gear. I have several favorite hiding spots up there that are completely inaccessible without it. No body without ropes and some skill will get anywhere near me. There are also some bitchen firing positions near by. With the 300 Win Mag the contest will begin at 1,000 yards.
                Ahh a lead rack. I have one in the garage i have not used for 40 years. Two ropes 1 goldline and one unknown kernmantel did i mention i have some large nuts too? but alas no cams.

I still have the bolt placement kit too

Comment

Originally posted by Sacajawea View Post
                  So, if anything steps on the branches you hear it for one thing... and for another bears would avoid stepping on crunchy sticks if they have a choice... I think.
                  Correct. This is called a "Boma" in Africa. I get some kinda warning something is attempting to investigate my tent. Often times up there what small amounts of wood I find are underneath the live vegetation and sorta wet. I put the wood and my clothing or bathing necessities out in the sun and wind. This drys it out quick.
                  One night I woke up scared $#%&less, breathing hard and full of adrenaline with absolutely NO idea why!!!
                  I heard something entirely new and foreign to me echoing off the canyon walls. WOLVES!!! They were close too. I had been so focused on bear safety I had completely forgotten about them.
                  I spent the next morning doing dry fire practice and searching for any clue about them. Nothing. No tracks, no hair caught in branches, no scat, nothing. They are ghosts. I have no doubt they investigated my camp and knew I was there.
                  This is exactly the sort of reason I enjoy solitude up there so much. I'm not living right if I don't scare myself once in awhile.

Comment

Originally posted by Tex View Post
                    When you were here, you brought a couple different packs for me to look at and you said that you spent most of your time in the mountains last summer with the smaller of the two. You also said that was the one you recommended that I get if I go with you this summer.

Was it the Timberline 1?

Or the Timberline 2?

Is this the frame and suspension system that you used?

Tex
                    The second one Tex. The Timberline2. @ 5,200 cubic inches it is more than large enough for a good 2 week or longer hike. Mine came WITH the waistbelt and internal frame stays. Email Angie there and ask about how the pack comes. The beauty of their packs is the number of accessories you can get for them once you have the main pack.

Comment

I took thos photos of my climbing gear while sorting and organizing it. I don't always carry that much with me. Usually after a careful glassing of what I believe will be the best route I'll clip 3 or 4 nuts of nearly the same size, say a #6, #5, and a #4 onto the same carabiner so It is easy to get the right size nut or chock into the crack. Lemme see if I can find some more shots for you folks.

Comment

Here we go. This was a 2 day scramble up into what turned out to be a box canyon filled with all sorts of toxic plants. I'm in the debris just below the main walls near the highest entry point. Notice my helmet? The rope is a 10 millimeter static line. If I believed there were any fall potential I would have a dynamic rope but most of this trip was either scrambling up or rappelling down.
                        So? Just Why would someone climbing alone have a belay device with them??

Comment

Kneepads and elbow pads. Mandatory.

Comment

Golden trout, catching one is on my bucket list. This thread is insanely cool. Do you use a fly rod?

Comment

Originally posted by doublel View Post
                              Golden trout, catching one is on my bucket list. This thread is insanely cool. Do you use a fly rod?
                              Gear depends on where I'm at and what sort of fish I'm after. Those big goldies stay way down deep and those lakes up high are perfectly suited to them.
                              I can catch brook trout all day on my #6 flyrod and use salt water spinning gear to catch the goldies and lakers. I'm also very fond of the braided line Cabelas sells.
                              I'm still sorting out my photos and notes. I do plan to post some thorough gear and kit reviews here. This will include what failed and the blunders I made.

Comment

Well...I will probably be furthering my golden trout questions, gear and maybe try to pry location from you...I think we will head to the Winds this summer and make it happen, we are just in SE Wyo...so not that far.

Comment

Working...
                                X