No announcement yet.

Spent the summer in the Winds.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ski, I am going to have to disagree with you about the prospecting. I've got some books written by a guy who was a state geologist here and he has some very interesting information for people will to do a little looking and getting off the main trails. He was actually ran out of his job, because TPTB did not want all of his information getting out.

One thing to think about:
    We are right between Colorado and Montana. Both are states known for gold and gems.

This is something I was hoping to visit about the other day before we ran out of time.
    When we have time, I will go into a little more depth and see if I can explain it.

Tex
    = 2
    sigpic

If we cannot define a simple word like greatness, how can we ever hope to use it as a measuring stick to know when we have risen beyond average?

Comment

If you honestly believe there could be gold up there I am more than interested. I can always use more of it.

Comment

I was going to ask first, since it is your trip, but I had planned to take a few things with me. There are a couple books that were going into my pack as well as a pan and a small rock hammer. Even if the gold eludes us, there are still precious and semi precious stones to find. And some of those hold more than enough value to justify looking for them.

Tex
        = 2
        sigpic

If we cannot define a simple word like greatness, how can we ever hope to use it as a measuring stick to know when we have risen beyond average?

Comment

Ya got me real curious about yer books Tex. Titles? Authors?
          I can damn sure show ya where it may be. What kinda gems do ya think may be up there?

Comment

The bears don't always stay in the park(Yellowstone for you non Wyoming folks)This is probably the primary hazard up there. I just try to avoid them.

Comment

Here's one of the better brook trout photos. I know where I can just reach in and grab all I need for a meal. I do leave them alone when they're spawning.

Comment

Here's some more of the lake trout. I caught these in about 40 minutes. I quit when I have enough for a meal.

Comment

These are some more of the golden trout. The one real golden fish is an adult male near spawning. You can see why they're called golden trout.

Comment

My favorite way to cook them. This is one of the many stone ovens I built up there this summer. Nothing is wasted this way. I cook the head and liver too. The skin just falls off and the bones lift right away from the meat.

Comment

This is one of nearly 40 brook trout I hooked in a 3 day jaunt around this lake. The fly I hooked him on is now a "Retired disabled veteran". It sits in a place of honor in my fly box.

Comment

These are some more brook trout. They went into the pot on top of my Solo stove.

Comment

This thread is outstanding. Thanks for posting the goods!

Comment

A brookie and 2 fat little rainbows. Ya know? Lotsa time on another board Tex an I frequent some of their "Internet Experts" will declare,"There's no way anybody could survive alone up in the mountains"!!!
                            Honestly man? I could not only live on fish up there but actually gain weight if I was lazy enough.

Comment

Looks like a great adventure!!
                              People without any brains do an awful lot of talking. Don't they?!
                              ~the Scarecrow from the Wizard of Oz

Comment

This is the Wyldmans camp. Lake level is 10,500 feet above sea level. Nothing happens fast up there. I just sorta hang out and tend to whatever necessary chores like gathering, cutting and splitting firewood or doing laundry at a comfortable pace.
                                Can any of you guess WHY I have all the firewood scattered around my tent?

Comment

Working...
                                X