No announcement yet.

ham radio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As far as transmitting it is only three bands, but listening is wide band. That was why I was curious if it and a light antenna would work for backpacking. Eventually an 875 or 817 looks good for that, but those are heavy. This is more about listening as a way to enjoy an evening on top of Blood mountain than about emergency communications.

Thanks for the help.

Comment

857 is not that heavy. I have packed with mine and it works well and you have world wide coverage.

The 817 has only 5 watts out and unless you learn CW, its a waste of money.

Comment

The FT817ND is claimed by Yaesu to be the ultimate backpacker radio. Approx. 2.58 LBS

It's ironic a radio touted as the ultimate backpacker radio doesn't provide it's weight anywhere. It just goes to show the disconnect between engineering, marketing and sales. I had to download the owners manual to get it.

The 857D is a proven all mode radio, and weighs in at 4.6lbs not including battery.

If you don't need to potential power, or bands, go light. Otherwise, go big!!

Comment

Above all remember: "Morgan had a 857D"!!!!! Nuff said!!

Comment

By the time you add antennas and batteries for the 875, what would a pack weight actually run? Also, what kind of a run time do you have on the batteries and how do you charge them in the case of either radio?

I have tons to learn, and any radio equipment is a long ways down the road. Still, I am a gear addict and like to window shop.

As an aside, would some form of a packable solar recharger work?

Comment

You thinking too hard about this.
              Find more at the Maker Shed: https://makershed.comFall is the perfect time for hiking, it's not too hot and not too cold. Last weekend I took a day trip to h...

Comment

Thank you. Trying to pin down weights is tough.

Comment

I have seen this video before. That was one reason I was asking about weight. It looks like a fairly full daypack with the bulk she laid out. I was not sure about the weight, especially of the battery. Thanks for the link.

You are right, I tend to think too much. Generally this results in over buying or buying gear that is too complex or more than I need or will really utilize.

Comment

Red

The battery weight /reserve power will depending on you transmit/listen ratio and the power out setting on the radio. The 857 can go from 5-100 watts.

Look at this link for batteries that are small, sealed and weigh from 4.5lbs and up depending on AmpHrs needed.

The Par End Fedz antenna (used in the video) is just over a pound and doesn't need a tuner since they are balanced out of the box. Drawback is they are mono band but easy to deploy.

Comment

Thank you

Comment

Working...
                      X